FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   2008 Route Cuts / Changes etc.: Check here for updates (consolidated) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/828002-2008-route-cuts-changes-etc-check-here-updates-consolidated.html)

djmp May 29, 2008 12:00 am

Originally Posted by bdemaria (Post 9789486)
If I were holding those tickets, I would call AA immediately and ask for clarification.

Did that regarding an ORD-EZE in October but the flights are still in the system and so reservations were not helping.

grahampros May 29, 2008 12:22 am

Originally Posted by alohatoall (Post 9791521)
We take (or should I say "took") #72 from HNL to ORD at least 4 or 5 times/year, most recently at the end of April on our way to Rome, and it was full then. I remember the load eastbound as always being full or nearly so, and a quick check of the seating map confirms this.
I talked to the EXP desk this morning, and I would like to urge all of you who are upset about the elimination of flights #72 and 73 to PLEASE contact AA and to voice your feelings here. As the agent said, AA monitors this site carefully, and we might be able to make a difference!!!

As has been stated many many times here, full flights are not a direct indication of profitability. It's all about average fare paid and the cost to operate a given flight. Or more in airline terms, Revenue per Available Seat Mile (RASM) vs Cost per Available Seat Mile. (CASM). Full flights do not mean profiblity..let's understand that.

What I am certain of, if the flight was making money for AA on consistent basis (with the current circumstances of high fuel costs/ and down economy), or if they could not make more money with the equipment on another route, it would have not been canceled.

Out of curiosity, what did the OP pay for the routing from HNL-ORD-FCO?

Don't waste your time on contacting AA about your "feelings" on a given route. It's all about dollars and recovering costs here. The airline doesn’t (nor should they) care about how folks "feel" about a flight. Let's understand that AA ( and every airline in the US) is fighting for survival here and feelings that someone is pissed off that their favorite flight gets canceled does not count in this context.

ty97 May 29, 2008 12:33 am

Originally Posted by grahampros (Post 9792963)
As has been stated many many times here, full flights are not a direct indication of profitability. It's all about average fare paid and the cost to operate a given flight. Or more in airline terms, Revenue per Available Seat Mile (RASM) vs Cost per Available Seat Mile. (CASM). Full flights do not mean profiblity..let's understand that.

What I am certain of, if the flight was making money for AA on consistent basis (with the current circumstances of high fuel costs/ and down economy), or if they could not make more money with the equipment on another route, it would have not been canceled.

Out of curiosity, what did the OP pay for the routing from HNL-ORD-FCO?

Don't waste your time on contacting AA about your "feelings" on a given route. It's all about dollars and recovering costs here. The airline doesn’t (nor should they) care about how folks "feel" about a flight. Let's understand that AA ( and every airline in the US) is fighting for survival here and feelings that someone is pissed off that their favorite flight gets canceled does not count in this context.

well said

brp May 29, 2008 8:29 am

Originally Posted by grahampros (Post 9792963)

Sadly, yes. SJC-NRT-SJC were routinely very full...and losing quite a bit of money. I very much wish that full planes = profitable = flight stays were true. But it's just not the case.

Cheers.

TMOliver May 29, 2008 8:33 am

Originally Posted by KD5MDK (Post 9789723)
I wonder if it wouldn't be worth replacing them with hired cars charging $.60/mi...

Common sense would dictate that all the airlines convert "short hop" commuter service to surface transport, but I suspect a variety of federal laws would be violated by providing and selkling tickets for "multi-modal" transportation.

Think of the labor law violations, forcing all those meagerly paid AEagle pilots to become bus/van drivers!

aviationkiwi May 29, 2008 9:17 am

Originally Posted by Max M (Post 9792795)
I guess AirTran gets credit for the drop in fare on MCO-SJU.

I think Spirit made it worst than Airtran. Spirit offers sometimes $9 MCO-SJU and $19 MCO-PSE

rrgg May 29, 2008 9:22 am

Originally Posted by alohatoall (Post 9791521)
We take (or should I say "took") #72 from HNL to ORD at least 4 or 5 times/year, most recently at the end of April on our way to Rome, and it was full then.

Whether it's full doesn't matter so much.

I'm guessing that fuel weight is becoming more important. Carrying fuel on ORD-HNL is probably more expensive than carrying a small amount on ORD-LAX plus a small amount on LAX-HNL.

ORD-EZE could have a similar issue. I've been on that flight and it was full too. But it's 11+ hours, and it's probably cheaper for AA to connect me in DFW or MIA.

nytango May 29, 2008 9:26 am

Originally Posted by MAH4546 (Post 9789852)
Overall service and capacity to Buenos Aires will increase starting in November.

JFK-EZE will have 11 weekly flights; including a daily 772 service and four weekly 763 flights. The upgrade to a 772 and the 763 service are seasonal.

MIA-EZE will have 21 weekly flights; including two daily 772 redeye flights and a daily 772 daylight flight. It has not been decided if the third frequency will run year-round, but it is extremely likely.

any confirmation or update on this?

bdemaria May 29, 2008 9:27 am

Originally Posted by djmp (Post 9792898)
Did that regarding an ORD-EZE in October but the flights are still in the system and so reservations were not helping.

At this point, ORD-FCO hasn't officially been canceled, but rather goes on hiatus from Oct 25 (?I think) and then should return in the late Spring.

nytango May 29, 2008 9:34 am

Originally Posted by bdemaria (Post 9794555)
At this point, ORD-FCO hasn't officially been canceled, but rather goes on hiatus from Oct 25 (?I think) and then should return in the late Spring.

but OP is talking about 0rd-eze not fco, and it appears that 0RD-EZE may now be out of system....

pbz May 29, 2008 9:48 am

I realize it is the prevailing and traditional wisdom that loads do not correlate with profitability. My point however was that if the plane is flying empty in one direction then you have a higher suspicion that it's not earning its keep.

AA-Platinum May 29, 2008 9:49 am

Stn

Originally Posted by mizzou miles (Post 9788343)
Better add JFKSTN to the list... not shocking given it had served its purpose:

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080528/ameri...sted.html?.v=1

I was just about to post this same cut. I loved STN; much easier on both arrivals and departures. Unfortunately, for most people, it was a much longer and more expensive connection to London (bearing in mind that most people -- even businessmen -- are going to the West End not the City)

KD5MDK May 29, 2008 10:29 am

Indications of people's feelings about a particular flight might be taken as evidence that it could withstand an increased price.

AA-Platinum May 29, 2008 10:47 am

Originally Posted by KD5MDK (Post 9794937)
Indications of people's feelings about a particular flight might be taken as evidence that it could withstand an increased price.

Not necessarily true. While I prefer STN over LHR, I would not pay more to fly into the former

bayoubabsy May 29, 2008 11:15 am

Originally Posted by bdemaria (Post 9794555)

This would be great for me- my return is Oct 22nd. I was just concerned because I have seen on the first post for this message and other places that the flight would be suspended in September.

I would call, but I doubt any reservation agent would be too helpful for me.