Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2008 Route Cuts / Changes etc.: Check here for updates (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2008 Route Cuts / Changes etc.: Check here for updates (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2008, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
San Juan non-stops to MCO, FLL, BWI, EWR, LAX, and IAD end in September.
Old May 28, 2008, 2:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Been wondering which A300 flights are being cut (and how many a/c going out of service). MCO would be one route. The question is are these primary cargo routes (which cheap fares often onboard) now profitable with today's oil prices and the inefficient a/c that the A300s are?
Old May 28, 2008, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Been wondering which A300 flights are being cut (and how many a/c going out of service). MCO would be one route. The question is are these primary cargo routes (which cheap fares often onboard) now profitable with today's oil prices and the inefficient a/c that the A300s are?
Out of Miami - which is the largest international cargo hub in the country - yes, they still are. Break-even load factor on certain medium-haul Miami-Caribbean/LatAm route is still below 60% (not as good as a few years ago when it was close to 40%, but still excellent).

Out of Orlando, this was never a primary cargo route.

It should be noted though, that while three A300s are leaving the fleet, the remaining 31 A300s will be able to fly the entire current A300 schedule. AA only has 27 A300s flying in one day. Of course, reliability problems can create trouble.
Old May 28, 2008, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA PLT 1MM, Starwood Preferred, Hilton Gold VIP

These are mostly routes that have heavy competition...
MCO can't be profitable flying with R/T tickets hovering around $160 all-in. FLL is the same story. EWR is COs fortress hub, the EWR flight was inherited from Eastern in the 80s. BWI and IAD are a bit more surprising, however, United has stepped up competition on that one. LAX seems to be always full in peak season, but as we all know, it's just difficult to run a 3386 mile flight (longer than BOS-LHR and almost as long as JFK-LHR) charging domestic fares.
Old May 28, 2008, 3:35 pm
asl

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by MAH4546
I hope they time-shift the JFK-SJU schedule then - the morning EWR flight was well timed for a raft of SJU ATR departures.
Old May 28, 2008, 3:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by asl
I hope they time-shift the JFK-SJU schedule then - the morning EWR flight was well timed for a raft of SJU ATR departures.
I agree, I have just done EWR-SJU-NEV and it was a great connection. What a shame.
Old May 28, 2008, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by asl
JFK-SJU departures will be at 0630AM, 0130PM, and 0535PM.

AA will be moving more and more Caribbean flying to Miami. Antigua and Grenada get Miami non-stops this fall; others will follow. Eventually all the runway-capable Caribbean islands will be flown non-stop from Miami, probably within 24 months. A few islands - such as Anguilla and Beef Island - can't handle a jet, so they'll stay SJU-only.
Old May 28, 2008, 4:37 pm
pbz

Programs: AA Gold
ORD-HNL gone

With regard to ORD-HNL going away, can someone who's been on the return trip, HNL-ORD, comment as to loads?

ORD-HNL was our preferred route to the neighbor islands going west. However on the eastbound we found e.g. LIH-LAX-ORD more convenient for the later departure relative to LIH-HNL-ORD.

I wonder if other people have made the same calculation and the plane wasn't being filled eastbound?

Also by this maneuver,
/pbz
Old May 28, 2008, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
Originally Posted by ValiantFlyer
I'm so happy I had a chance to ride in one of these (LAX-SBA) before they're gone.
So what will they serve SBA with?
Old May 28, 2008, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA 3MM, PLT
We take (or should I say "took") #72 from HNL to ORD at least 4 or 5 times/year, most recently at the end of April on our way to Rome, and it was full then. I remember the load eastbound as always being full or nearly so, and a quick check of the seating map confirms this.
I talked to the EXP desk this morning, and I would like to urge all of you who are upset about the elimination of flights #72 and 73 to PLEASE contact AA and to voice your feelings here. As the agent said, AA monitors this site carefully, and we might be able to make a difference!!!
Old May 28, 2008, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinium 1.55MM AVIS Preferred Hertz Gold Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ValiantFlyer
Originally Posted by AAFA
American Eagle also will retire its Saab fleet by the end of the year.
I'm so happy I had a chance to ride in one of these (LAX-SBA) before they're gone.
In the mid 1990s the flight from SBP - LAX used to be only BAE JetStream 31s, then AE moved up and added a few SAAB 340s. Sometimes your luggage wouldn't arrive until a later SAAB flight because of the limited luggage capacity of the JetStreams. The JetStream had 19 seats, low ceilings, no FA, a 6" tall wing spar cutting across the aisle and only a curtain separating seat 1B from the flight crew.

With the JetStreams there were about 7-9 flights per day to LAX (or SJC).
We now have 3 Saab and one RJ round trip per day to LAX.
I wonder what we will be left with after the switch to all RJs.

San Luis Obispo is about 1 1/2 hours north of Santa Barbara (SBA) if you are driving. 3 1/2-4 hours drive from LAX.

-Mike
Old May 28, 2008, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by pbz
With regard to ORD-HNL going away, can someone who's been on the return trip, HNL-ORD, comment as to loads?
Loads really aren't a good indication of profitability. Plus, isolated observations of passengers really doesn't give a good indication of loads.
Old May 28, 2008, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Scratch the Baltimore-San Juan cut.

After being deleted earlier today, it is showing up again.
Old May 28, 2008, 9:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Originally Posted by envgeo
So what will they serve SBA with?
Mostr likely RJ's.
Old May 28, 2008, 11:22 pm

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
Originally Posted by BlassSJU

These are mostly routes that have heavy competition...
MCO can't be profitable flying with R/T tickets hovering around $160 all-in.

I guess AirTran gets credit for the drop in fare on MCO-SJU.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.