Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2008 Route Cuts / Changes etc.: Check here for updates (consolidated)

2008 Route Cuts / Changes etc.: Check here for updates (consolidated)

Old May 28, 08, 6:19 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Very re: losing ORD-HNL!!!
Old May 28, 08, 6:46 am

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Good bye 73/72! Mahalo for your long and honorable service. I hope the great FAs on these flights find a home on the DFW-HNL runs. ^

But I still don't get it. With mainland-HNL service being reduced with the demise of ATA and Aloha you mean to tell me they couldn't fill one plane a day out of ORD profitably? Or reposition the plane to DFW? I just bought a NYC-HNL r/t tix for December and the prices were way up, even the YUPs were around $2200. I know, I know, some bean counter figured they could make more money putting the a/c on some other run. So be it. More biz ex-ORD for UA.

Upgrades and awards to/from HNL are going to be a bear to get from now on.
Old May 28, 08, 7:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
AA has added service on a couple of routes that are useful to me -- still I will miss ORD-EZE.
Old May 28, 08, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by ORDforlife View Post
Thanks for the added info. I'm not up to date on the Wright Amendment expiration. I know it's a big issue for the folks down there and noticed AA DFW ground crew wearing t-shirts about the amendment. It just seems like such a waste of time and money.

AA eventually pulled out of MDW and stopped trying to compete with WN there. Why not DAL?
Short answer is, federal law limits DAL to 20 gates, allocated as 16 WN, 2 CO, 2 AA. That part of the law never expires. Although there are clauses about gate sharing, this makes it all but impossible for any other carrier to begin service in any meaningful way. DAL's less crowded runways and proximity to downtown Dallas would make it enticing, especially to LCC's. So AA needs to occupy the gates to keep others out.

Long answer is here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=437016 (and I do mean long: 3,574 posts long...)
Old May 28, 08, 7:30 am

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
Great, now I have something to do with the rest of my day.
Old May 28, 08, 7:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Better add JFKSTN to the list... not shocking given it had served its purpose:

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080528/ameri...sted.html?.v=1
Old May 28, 08, 7:38 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, United Mileage Plus & bmi Diamond Club
AA cuts JFK-Stansted

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/080528/law021a.html?.v=1

LONDON, May 28 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- American Airlines today announced that it will discontinue service between New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) and London's Stansted Airport, effective July 2. The service was launched in October 2007.

American Airlines will continue to offer its full schedule of flights between JFK and London's Heathrow Airport.

In light of the present economic conditions & Delta/Continental adding lots of capacity to the LON-JFK market this makes sense, especially after EOS's demise

Who wants to go first at pretending to act bewildered?
Old May 28, 08, 7:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by AAFA View Post
American Eagle also will retire its Saab fleet by the end of the year.
I'm so happy I had a chance to ride in one of these (LAX-SBA) before they're gone.
Old May 28, 08, 7:55 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by flyboy777 View Post

LONDON, May 28 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- American Airlines today announced that it will discontinue service between New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) and London's Stansted Airport, effective July 2. The service was launched in October 2007.

American Airlines will continue to offer its full schedule of flights between JFK and London's Heathrow Airport.

In light of the present economic conditions & Delta/Continental adding lots of capacity to the LON-JFK market this makes sense, especially after EOS's demise

Really cannot say I am surprised on JFK-STN. I was on that flight the weekend of May 16, and on the ride home there might have been 25 of us if that in coach. I've never been on an international flight with so few people it was amazing. I actually said to the FA, I bet that they cancel this one. Low and behold, I guessed right for a change. Safe travels.
Old May 28, 08, 8:09 am

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ORDforlife View Post
Of course AA really doesn't care about my ability to use VIPs.
Actually, they do care. If they go out of business and continue to fly money losing routes, you nor anyone else will have the ability to use eVIPs!
Old May 28, 08, 9:46 am
GSR

Programs: AA 2MM
Originally Posted by envgeo View Post
that's a bummer. i used both the mci and aus flights. The Dallas Morning News failed to pick this up in their newspaper article today
the morning news covered this story weeks ago when it was first announced - see april 28 story below

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...e.2a552fe.html
Old May 28, 08, 9:51 am

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Originally Posted by inlanikai View Post
Good bye 73/72! Mahalo for your long and honorable service. I hope the great FAs on these flights find a home on the DFW-HNL runs. ^

But I still don't get it. With mainland-HNL service being reduced with the demise of ATA and Aloha you mean to tell me they couldn't fill one plane a day out of ORD profitably? Or reposition the plane to DFW? I just bought a NYC-HNL r/t tix for December and the prices were way up, even the YUPs were around $2200. I know, I know, some bean counter figured they could make more money putting the a/c on some other run. So be it. More biz ex-ORD for UA.

Well stated - especially the last sentence - betetr plan on forking over 150K for the "free" ticket to HNL .... I am so mad about this.

Old May 28, 08, 9:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by cstead View Post
The press release states that ORD-HNL will continue to operate on "key days". My guess is 3x weekly, but I can't figure out which days that would be. Backing out from the 763 utilization schedule isn't giving me a whole lotta clues either.
But I read it to be saying that it will operate peak days only during the period from 3 September to January 5 2009 when it will be cut completely.

No idea which days they are.
Old May 28, 08, 9:54 am

Programs: American EXP & 3MM
Originally Posted by freeupgrade View Post
I am furious about this one - and I don't even live in ORD.

This will make HNL awards even harder to get - thanks a lot AA.

What moron in management came up with this one - geez...

This is terrible. UA will definetly pick up more passengers on that route.
Old May 28, 08, 10:12 am

Programs: UA PLT (MR Gld; Hertz PC), AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT GLD, GP Plt, Mets fan.
Originally Posted by MAH4546 View Post
Miami-Providenciales, for example, has the highest CASM in AA's entire network. These routes command high fares for relatively short distances. MIA-PLS is a very short hop - shorter than MIA-ATL - but easily commands an average one-way fare of over $280.
CASM (Cost per Available Seat Mile), or RASM (REVENUE per Available Seat Mile)?

Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
> Washigton/Reagan-Fayetteville, AK (American Eagle/MQ)

I think that would be AR. AK is Alaska.
DCA-Fayetteville, Alaska on an RJ will be started on the same day AA finally starts to fly NRT-LIT...

Originally Posted by inlanikai View Post
But I still don't get it. With mainland-HNL service being reduced with the demise of ATA and Aloha you mean to tell me they couldn't fill one plane a day out of ORD profitably? I know, I know, some bean counter figured they could make more money putting the a/c on some other run. So be it. More biz ex-ORD for UA.

Everyone who complains about losing upgrades and awards is proving AA's point...757s from LAX to Hawaii burn less fuel per passenger, and require less staffing, and are less useful elsewhere.

Originally Posted by flyboy777 View Post

It would be interesting to find out whether there were any lingering liabilities to STN for gates, etc., and how much AA spent to fit out its space there...but I agree, this one was an easy cut, especially as a capacity reduction in anticipation of any future AA-BA-CO deal that wants antitrust immunity.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: