Which Routes Will AA Cut Now? (as of late May 2008)

Old May 22, 08, 2:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Originally Posted by DataPlumber View Post
I disagree. There is a substiantial amount of convention traffic and paid F.
But the convention-goers also book cheap fares well in advance. LAS, FLL, and MCO are three very unprofitable cities.
Old May 22, 08, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA L/T Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
You are well situated for that information, though OAK's elimination as an AA city has been discussed previously in this Forum.
Understand that it may have been posted somewhere/sometime in this "forum", but i was just trying to answer the OP's question

my bad....
Old May 22, 08, 2:36 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLAT
Here are some things that are being rumoured. Remember, these are just rumours, so they won't all happen, but they are all stuff that shouldn't surprise people.

American Eagle
*Significant reductions in BOS flying.
*Significant reductions in non-core RDU flying (i.e. CMH, MCI, SDF, etc.)
*Significant reductions in the little remaining SJC RJ flying
*Possibly shutting down all Saab flying from LAX
*Transfering more TransState capacity from STL to MIA
*Retiring ERJ-135 (possibly all of them) and some Saabs
*Frequency trims at ORD, DFW, but no destinations discontinued.

Mainline
*While S80s are being pulled, what they are doing is accelerating S80 retirements before 738s start arriving. By the end of 2009, the fleet size will actually likely be around the same size.
*Capacity reductions at DFW.
*Minimal cuts at ORD.
*No cuts at MIA (in fact, MIA will probably see growth).
*Some international frequencies reduced for the off-season from ORD/DFW
*While some A300s will be taken out of the fleet, since the A300 fleet is currently underutilized as-is, these removals will still allow AA to maintain, with some timing adjustments, their current A300 schedules.
*Cutting "non-core" trans-con flying (which pretty much is just BOS-SAN and MCO-LAX and the already cut FLL-LAX; YYZ-LAX is safe, that flight is a money maker).

In the end, don't look for destinations to be cut. MIA, LGA, and JFK will come out largely unscathed.

FLL won't "take a hit" despite the low-fare competition. AA needs it to protect South Florida marketshare.
Old May 22, 08, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Bronze, DL Plat UA, HHonors Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt
What about making all FLL flights "direct" through MIA, with the last segment on an AA shuttle bus from the terminal directly, with luggage even checked through for you?
Old May 22, 08, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM Hertz PC HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by jabrams72 View Post
What about making all FLL flights "direct" through MIA, with the last segment on an AA shuttle bus from the terminal directly, with luggage even checked through for you?
That would certainly emphasize the distinction between "nonstop" and "direct."
Old May 22, 08, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA PLT/1.9MM
Originally Posted by jabrams72 View Post
I think you can already do that on your own. I believe there is a scheduled shuttle bus that will take you from MIA to FLL for about $28.
Old May 22, 08, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by pdh719 View Post
Any idea where the unprofitable routes that will be cut are?
Almost any MD80 route that is NOT full (with oil at $130bl).
Old May 22, 08, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Gobalist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by SJCFlyerLG View Post
I would exepct to see a lot of reduction in LAS routes - those fares are always low. Talk about the ultimate leisure destination...
I would have to see some hard evidence before believing this. It's been a long time since I've found a low fare to LAS. I've been paying 2x more than last year.
Old May 22, 08, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
On the basis of this post, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...72#post9525272, 2 hours flight time and the IATA's Jet A index for 5/16/08, it costs $12.57 more per seat to fly an MD-80 DFW-ORD than it would a 737-800. That can clearly be worth it in terms of schedule frequency for business travelers.

By that same math, it means that the total fuel cost per seat for that MD-80 is only $52.14. With an average load factor of 75%, that should work out pretty well with average fares.

Some people take every opportunity to dump on MD-80s regardless of the math.

I don't know how AA maintains service to all cities with 12% service cuts, especially when major hubs look to be set for no reduction, but I know better than to argue routes with MAH4546.
Old May 22, 08, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by MAH4546 View Post
*Some international frequencies reduced for the off-season from ORD/DFW
Do you mean dropping flights to Europe and Asia or dropping flights to Mexico?
Old May 22, 08, 6:54 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLAT
Originally Posted by millionmiler View Post
Do you mean dropping flights to Europe and Asia or dropping flights to Mexico?
From Dallas, possible cuts to Latin America/Caribbean; from Chicago to Europe.

No European destinations will be cut, just less frequencies.

MIA and DFW's Europe routes will be untouched, as will all Asia routes.
Old May 22, 08, 7:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by UncleDude View Post
Look for FLL where there is extensive competition and really low fares from Spirit, JetBlue and Southwest to take a Major hit.

AA cannot survive in this market where much of the business is AAward customers joining cruises plus the higher revenue Latin American Passenger drives the 15 miles to MIA.
Speaking about loss making... AAward flights are madness and contribute to the losses. I bet that AA will drastically cut award availability and at the same time raise redemption levels. AA would be mad to give away free flights if they could sell the seat instead.
Old May 22, 08, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA PLT (MR Gld; Hertz PC), AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT GLD, GP Plt, Mets fan.
Originally Posted by dieuwer2 View Post
Speaking about loss making... AAward flights are madness and contribute to the losses. I bet that AA will drastically cut award availability and at the same time raise redemption levels. AA would be mad to give away free flights if they could sell the seat instead.
That is wrong in so many ways...
Old May 22, 08, 8:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Bad? I can't see why; I was merely attempting to expand your post, as your information was from a nearby source.

Originally Posted by mlgagne View Post
Understand that it may have been posted somewhere/sometime in this "forum", but i was just trying to answer the OP's question

my bad....
Old May 22, 08, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
I would expect for STL to take another hit on both frequencies and switch some more MD80's to RJ's.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: