Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Check eVip balance online - now available

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2009, 7:20 am

Thumbs up My Systemwide Upgrades is expiring, <redacted>

I have about 10 systemwide upgrades that are expiring on Feb 28, 2009. I don't know what to do. I need 7 to 8 upgrades this summer between June and july (Tickets already booked) but by that time I will have none left. <redacted>

N.B. Offers to trade or even freely give instruments are forbidden on FlyerTalk, other than in Coupon Connection. Coupon Connection is available to FlyerTalk members in good standing with (minimum) 90 days membership and (minimum) 90 constructive posts.

We highly recommend all new members read the initial NEWCOMERS: PLEASE READ FIRST Announcement, prior to posting.

/Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 18, 2009 at 8:47 am Reason: redact TOS violations
Old Feb 21, 2009, 3:36 am

Programs: Delta Platinum AA Platinum UA Dirt Grey Marriott Ambassador Hyatt Globalist
Hey all !

Question, today we tried to apply a 09 eVIP to my flight on March 3rd and the agent suddenly said this is not permitted anymore.

That sounds rather weird to me as my brother applied his 4 remaining VIP's to my parents travel in April and that was no problem at all (this was 3 weeks ago).

I'm a bit confused why all of a sudden there is a change in policy !

Any truth to this story ?

Thanks,
Old Feb 21, 2009, 4:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Fly2LAX
Hey all !

Question, today we tried to apply a 09 eVIP to my flight on March 3rd and the agent suddenly said this is not permitted anymore.

That sounds rather weird to me as my brother applied his 4 remaining VIP's to my parents travel in April and that was no problem at all (this was 3 weeks ago).

Thanks,
The official policy (as it has always been) is that all travel must be completed by the eVIP expiry date. In the last couple of years, exceptions were made to this rule. This year, it appears that it is being enforced more strictly although there have still been reports of people attaching expiring eVIPs to future travel.

Much discussion about this in the following thread (post #51 onwards):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old Feb 21, 2009, 9:55 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Fly2LAX
Hey all !

Question, today we tried to apply a 09 eVIP to my flight on March 3rd and the agent suddenly said this is not permitted anymore.As

Thanks,
As noted, there is nothing at all sudden about this. In addition to being AA longstanding policy (despite recent exceptions) it has been discussed here quite a bit.

And, even if one were not to read about it here, the rules for use of the eVIPs (or SWUs, as they're now called) are on AA.com

http://www.aa.com/aa/pubcontent/en_U...title=vpupdate

notable portion:

All travel using a systemwide upgrade must be completed by the expiration date. Upgrades will expire at 12:00 midnight (CT) on the date shown.

Cheers.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 8:46 pm

I would think it's in AA's favor to allow people to use their 08 VIPs past 3/1/09. I have a couple unused and would be perfectly willing to book a trip just to burn them which provides extra revenue to AA. The cost would be minimal given they control the capacity.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 8:54 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Allusha
I would think it's in AA's favor to allow people to use their 08 VIPs past 3/1/09.
Actually, it would be in the customer's favor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.