FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Check eVip balance online - now available (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/825869-check-evip-balance-online-now-available.html)

brp May 21, 2008 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by HNL (Post 9759846)
?? Why is that bad news?

When they originally discussed having eVIPs viewable online, they were going to expire 12 months from receipt, as opposed to at the end of February of the following year. This meant that the eVIPs had from 2-14 months of additional life as a result of not being available online. I'm quite capable of tracking these myself if it means longer shelf life.

Of course, they may not go with the original expiration plan, in which case I'm all for online viewing.

Cheers.

JDiver May 21, 2008 8:19 pm

When VIPs were paper they expired a year after issuance, iirc. When they decided to offer the balances online, the attempt lasted something short of 18 months, again iirc. But the result was to extend the life of the VIP to the remainder of the calendar year in which the VIP was earned and through the following status year - and they have (the last two years) allowed life to be extended beyond even that, as long as the eVIP was encumbered with at least one confirmed segment on a future trip (e.g. we just flew on VIPs issued in C/Y 2006 that were to expire March 1, 2008 - May 13-14 outbound, May 19-20 inbound.)

If the "improvement" comes at the loss of the extended time, they can have it, IMO - though I suspect AA may, given their recent behaviors, leave eVIP validity as modified when they announced they were giving up including VIP balances in our online accounts initially. Is that clair enough? ;)

wlciii May 21, 2008 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 9761021)
...and they have (the last two years) allowed life to be extended beyond even that, as long as the eVIP was encumbered with at least one confirmed segment on a future trip (e.g. we just flew on VIPs issued in C/Y 2006 that were to expire March 1, 2008 - May 13-14 outbound, May 19-20 inbound.)

It seems this "extension" will not be available this year though:
http://www.travelingbetter.com/forum...ead.php?t=2173

passinginterest Sep 29, 2008 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by HNL (Post 9759395)
Online eVIP balances will be available later this summer.
Source: http://www.travelingbetter.com/forum...ead.php?t=2291

Same site now reporting November-December. I'm surprised it's happening at all.

JDiver Sep 30, 2008 7:48 am

An AA IT job must offer good job security ;) - it will have taken over 3 years to finally show eVIPs balances in one's account online. We'll be happy for that, and hope they will continue the current policy for eVIP expiry instead of falling back to the original scheme.

Originally Posted by passinginterest (Post 10445523)
Same site now reporting November-December. I'm surprised it's happening at all.

tucsnaz Dec 23, 2008 3:57 pm

Just talked to an EXP AAgent that said they had training on the online eVIPs last week.

As mentioned elsehwhere they are targeting the first quarter of 2009 to have eVIP upgrade balances online. He said the balance should be accurate within 24 hours of earning/using eVIPs. ^

zman Dec 23, 2008 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 10446703)
An AA IT job must offer good job security ;) - it will have taken over 3 years to finally show eVIPs balances in one's account online. We'll be happy for that, and hope they will continue the current policy for eVIP expiry instead of falling back to the original scheme.

Maybe it is being done in India.

Gandhi90s Dec 23, 2008 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by zman (Post 10956218)

Thanks for the useful insight. :rolleyes:

gemac Dec 23, 2008 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by zman (Post 10956218)

It's being done here. If it had been done in India, it would have taken 3 weeks, not 3 years.

dayone Dec 23, 2008 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by gemac (Post 10957096)
It's being done here. If it had been done in India, it would have taken 3 weeks, not 3 years.

Very true. The design concept would have been misunderstood, then programmed incorrectly and then the app would have been incompatible with the existing code, but all of those issues would have worked 24/7 and it still would have been completed in three weeks.

mvoight Dec 24, 2008 12:36 am

Originally Posted by dayone (Post 10957279)
Very true. The design concept would have been misunderstood, then programmed incorrectly and then the app would have been incompatible with the existing code, but all of those issues would have worked 24/7 and it still would have been completed in three weeks.

Then it would be a pain to talk to tech support.

bcm0830 Jan 26, 2009 7:28 pm

Any updates recently?

I spoke to a lady at the EXP desk today, and she told me she though they were now viewable online, but she couldn't tell me where to go.

NetSurfer69 Jan 26, 2009 10:02 pm

This may have always been there and I may have never noticed it before, but I just noticed today that when you login and go to see your account status, there are 2 options in the blue band: View My Miles and View My Upgrades. Currently, only the 500-mile upgrades are displayed, but I have a feeling this is where the eVIPs will show up at some point in the near future.

passinginterest Jan 26, 2009 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by NetSurfer69 (Post 11148292)
This may have always been there and I may have never noticed it before, but I just noticed today that when you login and go to see your account status, there are 2 options in the blue band: View My Miles and View My Upgrades. Currently, only the 500-mile upgrades are displayed, but I have a feeling this is where the eVIPs will show up at some point in the near future.

Discussed here:
http://www.travelingbetter.com/forum...2&postcount=13

yogi4582 Jan 28, 2009 10:15 am

Some day I would like to see what the user interface is that the EXP desk has to use to look at this stuff.

Every time I've ever had to call EXP to try and figure out why their count differs from mine, it sounds like they're trying to figure out some complex mathematical formulae, with lots of "umm... let's see, it looks like...". There has to be a better way than they're currently doing it.