FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   AC Access on Transcon F ticket, with an A or C fare? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/824798-ac-access-transcon-f-ticket-c-fare.html)

shadesofgrey1x May 17, 2008 10:33 am

AC Access on Transcon F ticket, with an A or C fare?

The AC allows access for transcons MIA-LAX in F or Biz on F, Z, J, or U fares. I was wondering how strict they are with respect to the fare bucket portion of this? I am traveling MIA-LAX in F but with an A fare, then back LAX-JFK in Biz but with a C fare.

Anyone ever try getting in with a qualifying domestic ITN, A qualifying cabin class, but with the wrong fare bucket?

bdemaria May 17, 2008 10:53 am

I've never done it myself (I'm a member) but I certainly have seen people turned away for precisely this reason.

TxH2O May 17, 2008 10:56 am

Just out of curiosity I feigned ignorance and went to the AC in LAX on my Q to X fare LAX-IAD to see what they'd say. The instant my BP was reviewed she said it has to be full-fare. So at LAX they check for the qualifying classes of F, J, Z and U.

ROW2Aisle May 17, 2008 11:01 am

Not a direct answer to your question but for F, P & Z classes you have access to the Flagship Lounge at LAX on the non-stop transcon flights

3Cforme May 17, 2008 11:41 am

I don't get the logic behind the idea that AA would bother to specify required fare class for lounge access then actively ignore it.

cstead May 17, 2008 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 9739864)
I don't get the logic behind the idea that AA would bother to specify required fare class for lounge access then actively ignore it.

i dont think its "actively ignore," but more like hoping for an ignorant/new/generous agent to let you in

shadesofgrey1x May 18, 2008 12:19 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 9739864)

The query was posed because AA is not alone in the world when it comes to having a myriad of rules and a wide degree with respect to the severity and effort they put into enforcement.

A few key examples here:. Segment upgrade miles accumulation restarts every March 1st, yet if you call you can get prorated segment upgrades. AC chits for INTL travelers, wide latitude with the rules here. BA lounge access for PLATS on a OW INTL ITN. etc...... Even MM status, all undocumented.

These insider secrets are what FT is all about. Anyone should be free to post a query and get an honest answer without attitude that implies the query was stupid.

From the posts I've seen thus far the options seem to be you can ask but, probably will be turned down. If you want it badly buy a one day pass. This is fair. Now if I do decide to buy a pass I will not feel short changed for not pursuing other avenues.

For the record I have used the lounges with Z inventory several times, just wanted some sage advice. Thank you to those of you who gave it to me.

mvoight May 18, 2008 12:42 am

Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x (Post 9741572)
The query was posed because AA is not alone in the world when it comes to having a myriad of rules and a wide degree with respect to the severity and effort they put into enforcement.

A few key examples here:. Segment upgrade miles accumulation restarts every March 1st, yet if you call you can get prorated segment upgrades. AC chits for INTL travelers, wide latitude with the rules here. BA lounge access for PLATS on a OW INTL ITN. etc.

The BA lounge access rules are published.

FWAAA May 18, 2008 12:46 am

Originally Posted by ROW2Aisle (Post 9739750)
Not a direct answer to your question but for F, P & Z classes you have access to the Flagship Lounge at LAX on the non-stop transcon flights

Back in the days when P referred to F on 3 class transcons, P would have worked (had there been a FL at LAX). But no more, since P is a bucket used for YUP/KUP-type fares. Now, it takes F or Z.

shadesofgrey1x May 18, 2008 4:34 am

Originally Posted by mvoight (Post 9741598)
The BA lounge access rules are published.

They most certainly are but, at MIA when the Terraces lounge was in airside A, they actively ignored the published rules many a time and denied access. Their stated reason was that AA members (Oneworld sapphire on an INTL ITN) had to use the AC instead of the BA lounge. They even posted this in the form of signage at one point.

bdemaria May 18, 2008 6:54 am

Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x (Post 9741860)
They most certainly are but, at MIA when the Terraces lounge was in airside A, they actively ignored the published rules many a time and denied access. Their stated reason was that AA members (Oneworld sapphire on an INTL ITN) had to use the AC instead of the BA lounge. They even posted this in the form of signage at one point.

It is the same situation now at the BA lounge at DFW.

ESpen36 May 18, 2008 7:10 am

Originally Posted by ROW2Aisle (Post 9739750)

Actually, Flagship Lounge access is available only for folks traveling in F/P/Z inventories on non-stop transcon flights with three classes of service. So, if you were flying LAX-SAN-JFK or LAX-SEA-JFK, you would not get access.

Just thought it's worth clarifying.

ROW2Aisle May 18, 2008 9:09 am

Originally Posted by ESpen36 (Post 9742117)
Actually, Flagship Lounge access is available only for folks traveling in F/P/Z inventories on non-stop transcon flights with three classes of service. So, if you were flying LAX-SAN-JFK or LAX-SEA-JFK, you would not get access.

Just thought it's worth clarifying.

ESpen36 I don't think three classes are a requirement unless it is a very very recent change. The non-stop is a definite requirement. I often take the LAX-MIA & LAX-BOS 2 class services in Z and get admitted to the FL. I get booked in Z inventory using 75K miles "old miles awards" which give me two first class RT tickets to the Caribbean/Hawaii/US/Canada.

bdemaria May 18, 2008 9:21 am

Originally Posted by ROW2Aisle (Post 9742393)
ESpen36 I don't think three classes are a requirement unless it is a very very recent change. The non-stop is a definite requirement. I often take the LAX-MIA & LAX-BOS 2 class services in Z and get admitted to the FL. I get booked in Z inventory using 75K miles "old miles awards" which give me two first class RT tickets to the Caribbean/Hawaii/US/Canada.

Directly from aa.com:

Full-Fare First Class traveling on nonstop, three-class transcontinental flight (booked in F or Z inventory) - FL: Yes

Full-Fare First-Class traveling nonstop on two-class transcontinental flight (booked in F or Z inventory) - FL: NO

brp May 18, 2008 9:24 am

Originally Posted by bdemaria (Post 9742086)
It is the same situation now at the BA lounge at DFW.

This one, at lease, is no loss. On a DFW-LGW (or LHR..wherever they went then...) I decided to try the BA lounge at DFW. They did let me in, but it was quite a bit inferior to the D AC. Doesn't happen often than an AC is superior to a BA lounge, but this may be the worldwide single example :)

Cheers.