C Inventory for NRT destinations

 
Old May 17, 08, 10:48 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22
C Inventory for NRT destinations

I am getting ready to book into Cat L for BOS-JFK (or ORD)-NRT-MNL. I checked on EF and they list no C availability on my dates. Any idea when C inventory opens?
tonyric is offline  
Old May 17, 08, 10:54 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SJC/VCE
Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Posts: 10,159
C inventory may open up at anytime between now and just before flight time. There are no guarantees however that C inventory will open up.
bdemaria is offline  
Old May 17, 08, 11:12 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Austin
Posts: 4,609
What day of the week are you flying?
millionmiler is offline  
Old May 17, 08, 11:18 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22
Originally Posted by millionmiler View Post
What day of the week are you flying?
Thursday and Tuesday
tonyric is offline  
Old May 17, 08, 12:15 pm
  #5  
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SJC
Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Posts: 32,479
In general, NRT seems to be one of the toughest destinations for C inventory. The only eVIP that has not cleared for me in something like 4 years was SJC-NRT.

Cheers.
brp is offline  
Old May 17, 08, 12:23 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22
I am asking because when I booked my previous trip (that I took in March 08 but booked in October 07) C inventory was immediately available. I just thought it was rather odd that it wasn't available 10 months out.
tonyric is offline  
Old May 17, 08, 12:58 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SJC/VCE
Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Posts: 10,159
Originally Posted by tonyric View Post
I am asking because when I booked my previous trip (that I took in March 08 but booked in October 07) C inventory was immediately available. I just thought it was rather odd that it wasn't available 10 months out.
There may well have been a couple of C seats available when the flight was loaded into the system but they are already booked.
bdemaria is offline  
Old May 17, 08, 2:00 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: FAT, LHR
Posts: 6,558
i was waitlisted on both sides from DFW and both cleared. one, about 5 days and the other was about 2 or 3 days before departure

c
chanp is offline  
Old May 17, 08, 3:14 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: DFW/DAL
Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Posts: 19,302
Originally Posted by brp View Post
In general, NRT seems to be one of the toughest destinations for C inventory. The only eVIP that has not cleared for me in something like 4 years was SJC-NRT.

Cheers.
Welll that route is no longer an issue for upgrades.
mvoight is offline  
Old May 17, 08, 6:18 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: BOS
Programs: AA PLT/1MM, Priority Club Platinum
Posts: 975
My experience with C inventory to NRT is that it's only available in advance on Tuesday and Wednesday flights. I just booked 2 RT to NRT using eVIPs for Sept - There was fairly good availability on Tue and Wed from Sept onwards, but nothing over the summer months. I looked pretty far out into the future and this Tue/Wed trend seemed to hold.
brenc3 is offline  
Old May 17, 08, 7:57 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22
Originally Posted by brenc3 View Post
My experience with C inventory to NRT is that it's only available in advance on Tuesday and Wednesday flights. I just booked 2 RT to NRT using eVIPs for Sept - There was fairly good availability on Tue and Wed from Sept onwards, but nothing over the summer months. I looked pretty far out into the future and this Tue/Wed trend seemed to hold.
Nothing on the tue/wed surrounding my dates either.

Originally Posted by bdemaria View Post
There may well have been a couple of C seats available when the flight was loaded into the system but they are already booked.
Could be, but since there are none on the surrounding dates for a couple weeks then they must have just not released inventory.
tonyric is offline  
Old May 17, 08, 8:07 pm
  #12  
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SJC
Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Posts: 32,479
Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
Welll that route is no longer an issue for upgrades.
No wonder mine haven't been clearing lately

But, from what I've read here, it seems that the routes to NRT are notoriously tough.

Cheers.
brp is offline  
Old May 18, 08, 12:55 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Posts: 446
In my limited experience, I am 3 for 3 so far on ORD-NRT, NRT-ORD and now JFK-NRT upgrades (one NRT-LAX on waitlist). Last time I checked on EF, there was no C availability for a month around my travel date when I was booking. So just gotta do the usual (a suggestion confirmed by the folks here) to fly on a day with likely less business travel, and try to book a flight that is at least J7 D7 if possible, and hopefully even showing I inventory, and you should have a decent chance clearing the waitlist (unless you have no status, that may make it tough).
TxH2O is offline  
Old May 18, 08, 9:12 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 23,358
I assume the new configurations, with the 5% increase in business class capacity, will help. But I assume it won't help on advance availability until they complete the re-config and can load all flights with 37 available seats.
ijgordon is offline  
Old May 19, 08, 6:17 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: IST/DFW/GRU
Programs: AA EXP 0.8MM, Skyward, SPG Gold
Posts: 171
I too have been following C availibility from US to NRT for a flight in February and until 2 weeks ago, they had lots of C seats on Tuesdays and Wednesdays as some have already pointed out. Then all of a sudden they were all gone. It showed 0 for all the dates around end of January and begenning of Feb. Very strange. I should have booked my ticket but I didn't think it would go from showing 7 to 0 for all the flights around my dates. Lesson learned.
IST_flyer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread