FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Urgent - Transiting through NRT today (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/824101-urgent-transiting-through-nrt-today.html)

caymancanuck May 15, 2008 9:01 am

Urgent - Transiting through NRT today

I am just about to board 167 JFK to NRT then will go to HKG on AA 6115 operated by CX. I checked two bags and asked at the F check in at JFK if I had to pick them up at NRT and the GA could not tell me.

Can anyone tell me if I need to pick them up, I have only terminated at NRT before never transitted.

Thanks

kebosabi May 15, 2008 9:03 am

Did you check the bags all the way through to HKG? If so there is no need to pick up your bags at NRT.

caymancanuck May 15, 2008 9:09 am

bag receipts show checked through to HKG, I did not get a BP for the HKG flight so I will have to check in at CX

idainc May 15, 2008 9:13 am

No need for bag pick up at NRT. You'd never make it anyway as you would need to enter Japan, clear customs with the bags and trot them up top for check in again. I dont believe there is a bag re-check after customs anyway for this reason.

kebosabi May 15, 2008 9:39 am

Originally Posted by idainc (Post 9729371)
No need for bag pick up at NRT. You'd never make it anyway as you would need to enter Japan, clear customs with the bags and trot them up top for check in again. I dont believe there is a bag re-check after customs anyway for this reason.

Actually, there is no need to do this anymore. NRT recently setup airside transfer procedures which allows for a smoother int'l transit:

http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/guid...ter/index.html

woojink May 15, 2008 9:55 am

About 3 weeks ago I did LAX-NRT-HKG going from AA metal to CX metal. No issues or need to grab the bags in NRT. Simple transit. Usual security screening, but other than that, no issues. Bags met me in HKG with no problems.

jurisdr May 15, 2008 10:01 am

Originally Posted by kebosabi (Post 9729524)
Actually, there is no need to do this anymore. NRT recently setup airside transfer procedures which allows for a smoother int'l transit:

Yes, much smoother. My transits in NRT (AA to JAL connections) have been far more effecient since they implemented the airside transfers.

PresRDC May 15, 2008 4:52 pm

If there's one airport in the world where I would not worry about my bags going missing, it would be NRT.

caymancanuck May 16, 2008 8:44 am

Thanks everyone, I am sitting here at the Four Seasons in HK (heaven on earth) and I can report that the transfer through NRT was a breeze. I did not have a BP for my CX flight to HK so I headed to the CX lounge and they told me to enjoy the lounge and the CX staff then came back to me with my BP and confirmed my bags had transferred.

woojink May 16, 2008 9:17 am

Originally Posted by caymancanuck (Post 9734828)
Thanks everyone, I am sitting here at the Four Seasons in HK (heaven on earth) and I can report that the transfer through NRT was a breeze. I did not have a BP for my CX flight to HK so I headed to the CX lounge and they told me to enjoy the lounge and the CX staff then came back to me with my BP and confirmed my bags had transferred.

Great hotel - I still prefer the Peninsula, but it is a great place on the Island. Enjoy your trip! Go visit Lan Kwai Fong for killer nightlife.

tt7 May 16, 2008 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by woojink (Post 9735014)
Great hotel - I still prefer the Peninsula, but it is a great place on the Island.

.... and those of us who are cheapskates prefer the YMCA right next door to the Peninsula, with the same great harbor views and a fifth of the price .... :)

Skyman65 May 16, 2008 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by tt7 (Post 9737286)
.... and those of us who are cheapskates prefer the YMCA right next door to the Peninsula, with the same great harbor views and a fifth of the price .... :)

Naw, the REAL cheapskates prefer the Chung King Mansion around the corner. ;)