Any chance for congratulatory upgrade for newlyweds? ORD-NRT J-F?

Old May 12, 08, 1:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy View Post
Ok then, how about free pony rides as long as they clean up after the pony?
well then they wouldn't be quite as cute then would they?
Old May 12, 08, 1:37 pm

Programs: Herts Gold, Avis Select, Hilton VIP, AAdv Gold
Cool

Originally Posted by azmojo View Post
So i'm now about a month away from my honeymoon starting Jun 19, PHX-ORD-NRT on AA in J, a 90k mile AAward flight. We were just married two weeks ago.

We're in J which is nice, but it would be great if I could get us into F somehow, where my bride truly deserves to be.

I'm no longer elite (on AA), so I know my only option really is probably to appeal to the gate agent's sense of kindness. We are a young, fun, and (if I say so myself) cute couple and we would make the F cabin look great if we were sitting up there.

The flight (153) is 1/3 to 1/2 full in J and F at the moment so I'm guessing there will be availability.

The other obstacle is that we will checkin in PHX, and have no need to see a GA in ORD, although we should have time to stop into the AC (1.5 hour layover).

I know it's a long shot, but there has to be a good strategy you all can help me come up with to finagle something here!
Why think of getting more than you pay for? Congrats on the marriage but asking for something you have not paid for is going over the top. If you feel she deserves F/C then go the the distance and buy her F/C upgrading of non elites is a thing of the past..if upgrades do happen goes by who pays the most..and....award tkts are not upgradable if agent does, could be in big trouble these days
Old May 12, 08, 1:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Well, it IS FlyerTalk, where folks ask about op ups, lounge access, lagniappes, etc. etc. You can't blame anyone for reading these threads and then asking... and some "travel writers" still persist in writing all you have to do is show up well dressed and give the GA puppy dog eyes to get an upgrade.

Originally Posted by Agent 1 View Post
Why think of getting more than you pay for? Congrats on the marriage but asking for something you have not paid for is going over the top. If you feel she deserves F/C then go the the distance and buy her F/C upgrading of non elites is a thing of the past..if upgrades do happen goes by who pays the most..and....award tkts are not upgradable if agent does, could be in big trouble these days
Old May 12, 08, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
Well, be more careful with word choice next time. In the absence of sensing verbal tone/cues, all we have on these message boards are the words we choose and what they mean. It's soooo easy to misconstrue a post. Just a word of warning.
If she's the most special person to YOU then YOU need to pay the $ or money to get her up front. She is no more special to AA then the next lady, and probably less so from lack of status.

As was kind of hinted at, this price difference is irrelevant for you if you are on award tickets. You can try to redeposit your J award and redeem an F award, it's, what, an extra 35K miles per person, round trip? Surely she's worth that?

Now I'm starting to get offended. This puritanical country/government won't let me get "married" to the love of my life, the person who I believe most deserves to sit in F. I'm sure you didn't intend your post to be one that discriminates on the basis of sexual orientation, but just step back and think about all the benefits that you will get through a legal marriage vs. what I cannot get, and then tell me that this idea you should get preferential treatment for upgrades isn't just another stick in my eye. Again, I'm sure you didn't intend this, but it's not so far-fetched to be construed as such. Apologies for the rant. People looking to finagle the system while simultaneously rubbing their heterosexuality in my face just gets to me.

OK, well all else aside, I think your priorities are totally out of whack.
Well said.

Thankfully with respect to AA, you, not our backwards government, can decide who your partner is with respect to sharing the benefits of being elite.

I wonder if any same sex, legally married, newlywed couples from Mass. ever tried the newlywed line?

Again all innuendos aside, it boils down to, if you want it bad enough pay for it and do not beg. I wonder how long this newlywed free up to F game has been going on? It's almost an urban legend these days.
Old May 12, 08, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Any chance for congratulatory upgrade for newlyweds? ORD-NRT J-F?

Think about it. If what the OP asked about happened with any frequency half of FT would have marriages of convenience.
Old May 12, 08, 2:04 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold, Accor & IHG Plat, Meliá & HH & Marriott & Radisson Gold
So i'm now about a month away from my honeymoon [...]. We were just married two weeks ago. [...] we would make the F cabin look great if we were sitting up there.
Sounds as though you'll just miss out. According to someone I spoke to at AA, no more than 40 days may elapse between solemnification and first honeymoon flight for couples wanting to qualify for an upgrade under FCFC*.

The thinking seems to be that there's too great a risk of them no longer looking cute once they've been married for more than a few weeks.

* First Class For Cuties, AA's little-known visual enhancement program for premium cabins
Old May 12, 08, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.1; U; en-us) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413 es61i)

We are talking about a whopping 35k miles each here. Just max out the buy/gift/share for each aadvantage account. Also, you could buy a good d fare and upgrade with miles.
Old May 12, 08, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Gobalist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Let's just assume that they get the op-up. Time to start speculating on their FL access...
Old May 12, 08, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA L/T Gold
Originally Posted by aamilesslave View Post
Let's just assume that they get the op-up. Time to start speculating on their FL access...
and what about special luggage tags????
Old May 12, 08, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Spiff View Post
Best of luck, OP and congratulations. Don't have high expecatations and you may get lucky.
Spiff, I'm confused. Are you talking about the flight or the honeymoon?
Old May 12, 08, 3:24 pm

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush Elite, AA Plat, BA Blue, and a host of others.
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
Now I'm starting to get offended. This puritanical country/government won't let me get "married" to the love of my life, the person who I believe most deserves to sit in F. I'm sure you didn't intend your post to be one that discriminates on the basis of sexual orientation, but just step back and think about all the benefits that you will get through a legal marriage vs. what I cannot get, and then tell me that this idea you should get preferential treatment for upgrades isn't just another stick in my eye. Again, I'm sure you didn't intend this, but it's not so far-fetched to be construed as such. Apologies for the rant. People looking to finagle the system while simultaneously rubbing their heterosexuality in my face just gets to me.
BRAVO! Well said sister or brother!
Old May 12, 08, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA PLT (MR Gld; Hertz PC), AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT GLD, GP Plt, Mets fan.
The trouble with travel is that it takes you away from FT for hours at a stretch, meaning you miss the beginning of threads like this.

does AA deserve the $4,000 difference in price? That's debatable and a subject for a different thread.
They get it often enough that it's worth having the seats there for FTers to aaward and/or upgrade into...honeymoon or not.

Originally Posted by mvedda View Post
The Seats in First have partitions between them preventing you from getting close to your spouse [it is your honeymoon, btw]... The seats in business, even the NGBC have no partition and allow you to get close. and still let you sleep.. I'd opt for an A & B seat, like 10A & 10B and call it done.
I'd suggest 8 J/K -- with the high seatback partitions on the NGBC seats, you may get away with only 9G being able to see you acting like honeymooners...

But if that doesn't work, then I strongly suggest the lavatory in front of 9AB (the wheelchair one, with the nearly-full length mirror on the inside door), rather than the smaller one on the crossover aisle.

If they have to give an op-up out, better to give it to newlyweds than random guy, don't you think? ... I wouldn't disagree though that it would make more sense to give an op-up to anyone else in J with status.
You have no AA status, and you're on an award ticket. The only way that someone in J would be LESS deserving of an op-up is if they were a party of 3 on award tix, or if they were OW partner award ticketholders rather than AAdvantage ticketholders. A discounted paid ticket w/no status should have priority over you.

As far as the hotel, we don't really care about the room. A big room would just be a waste. All we want is a clean place to sleep and shower.
Originally Posted by ricktoronto View Post
So is F using this logic. You just need a way to fly to Japan. In J.
Darn, Rick beat me to it...

Originally Posted by nytango View Post
OP believes that the bride deserves to be in F.. He should be careful what he wishes. Maybe she will get the op up and meet some other cute random guy in first while op remains in J.. That would be a great honeymoon story.
Yeah, but either for OMNI or for the kind of magazine that FTers like to try to find in their hotel room, not for this family-oriented board...

Originally Posted by whirledtraveler View Post
Think about it. If what the OP asked about happened with any frequency half of FT would have marriages of convenience.
From what I've seen, I'm part of that large majority of FTers who wouldn't qualify for "cute young couple" status even if the person I was with did!

Originally Posted by IMH View Post
Sounds as though you'll just miss out. According to someone I spoke to at AA, no more than 40 days may elapse between solemnification and first honeymoon flight for couples wanting to qualify for an upgrade under FCFC*.

* First Class For Cuties, AA's little-known visual enhancement program for premium cabins
If AA has a program to visually enhance the premium cabins, they should tell personnel about it... or give them current photos for the FA personnel jackets.
Old May 12, 08, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by skye1 View Post
Thinking that you would make the F cabin look great by your presence???

I think the Flagship Suites take care of that already...
Old May 12, 08, 4:50 pm

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
The thinking seems to be that there's too great a risk of them no longer looking cute once they've been married for more than a few weeks.

Post of the year!!!
Old May 12, 08, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond

Especially after he has to deal with his new bride for the next few weeks when she finds out their actual chances of getting into F for free.

Search this Thread