Any chance for congratulatory upgrade for newlyweds? ORD-NRT J-F?

Old May 12, 08, 5:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
He11 No

Originally Posted by azmojo View Post
If they have to give an op-up out, better to give it to newlyweds than random guy, don't you think? As others have shrared, they have gotten free things (champagne) for being newlyweds, so why not an op up?
I know I sure wouldn't want to be the guy ( on a paid J and as an EXP) who didn't get the op up so they could give a HM couple the Op up.. beyond a congrats I don't see any reason the HM couple (in this identical situation) should go in the queue ahead of any elite (paid or award)

btw you are only as young and cute as the GA thinks you are; they may be younger, cuter etc and find you less than desirable.. I'm not sure why (this goes beyond the OP) everyone thinks that their wedding, anniv etc should put them ahead of everyone else for upgrades (air/land).. yeah its your big day, but its no bigger than mine (to me) if I don't know you

We are going to Europe this summer in F (as thats what I think the family are worth); i've already seen where you put a price on the bride.. its J.. as you didn't pony up for F.. I would never make this comment but you stated she is worth F but didn't pony up for it and are now trying to finagle you way up there.. its one thing to ask (hey who wouldn't) but to finagle.. well you have seen the results
Old May 12, 08, 5:29 am

Location: SFO, SJC, OAK, LVK AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, LUV A-List, Hyatt Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Commercial Pilot (not employed by airlines)
We were upgraded by the FA, in flight, on our honeymoon.

Admittedly, it was just SFO-LAX, but that's not the point here, no is it!

Anyway, in the 90s I found I was able to get my entire family upgraded a number of times to/from Hawaii just by befriending/charming a GA. Mentioning I am a fellow aviator (commercial pilot) may have had something to do with it. It happened so often that on one occasion that we did not get upgraded my daughter (then 4) said nice and loud from across the aisle "Daddy, why are the seats so small and the food so yucky back here?" I slumped a little in my seat as she has said it lourd enough for eveyone within three rows to hear. Ah--sweet memories. I have not tried that route for a while. I should see if it still works--or have I lost my charm?

Anyway--best of luck to you and congratulations! You are right. Your bride deserves first class! But where are you gonna sit?

Last edited by pushback; May 12, 08 at 8:39 am
Old May 12, 08, 5:39 am

Programs: QF, Skywards, SQ, Centurion
Hilarious!

I saw the thread title and thought "...this will unleash the hounds....!"

...all the best mate, hope the upgrade comes to fruition!
Old May 12, 08, 6:22 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
I understand, AA only over-cater First by 10% on flights that will not be having Op-Ups, so have you decided if the Bride or Groom are going to be without food..Or Maybe AA offers share plates for honeymooners.

I would also like to bet that flights to Hawaii have more Honeymooners than EXP's.
Old May 12, 08, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the replies...

I'm not trying to get away with anything, I didn't mean the strict definitition of the word finagle.
Well, be more careful with word choice next time. In the absence of sensing verbal tone/cues, all we have on these message boards are the words we choose and what they mean. It's soooo easy to misconstrue a post. Just a word of warning.
Why does she deserve F? Because she's the most special person in the world... to me anyway.
If she's the most special person to YOU then YOU need to pay the $ or money to get her up front. She is no more special to AA then the next lady, and probably less so from lack of status.

But does AA deserve the $4,000 difference in price?
As was kind of hinted at, this price difference is irrelevant for you if you are on award tickets. You can try to redeposit your J award and redeem an F award, it's, what, an extra 35K miles per person, round trip? Surely she's worth that?

Certainly being newlyweds is *a* reason, but it may not be the best reason. If they have to give an op-up out, better to give it to newlyweds than random guy, don't you think?
Now I'm starting to get offended. This puritanical country/government won't let me get "married" to the love of my life, the person who I believe most deserves to sit in F. I'm sure you didn't intend your post to be one that discriminates on the basis of sexual orientation, but just step back and think about all the benefits that you will get through a legal marriage vs. what I cannot get, and then tell me that this idea you should get preferential treatment for upgrades isn't just another stick in my eye. Again, I'm sure you didn't intend this, but it's not so far-fetched to be construed as such. Apologies for the rant. People looking to finagle the system while simultaneously rubbing their heterosexuality in my face just gets to me.

As far as the hotel, we don't really care about the room. A big room would just be a waste. All we want is a clean place to sleep and shower.
OK, well all else aside, I think your priorities are totally out of whack.
Old May 12, 08, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Landing Gear View Post
Do you think the two of you are "cuter" than Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes? They pay for their tickets.
I'm pretty sure they are in the private jet crowd The rest of your post is spot on!
Old May 12, 08, 8:01 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
Now I'm starting to get offended. This puritanical country/government won't let me get "married" to the love of my life, the person who I believe most deserves to sit in F. I'm sure you didn't intend your post to be one that discriminates on the basis of sexual orientation, but just step back and think about all the benefits that you will get through a legal marriage vs. what I cannot get, and then tell me that this idea you should get preferential treatment for upgrades isn't just another stick in my eye.
Ah yes, but we sometimes get special treatment form our male FAs, so I don't know if we can complain too much in this particular area. And on that note...

My seatmate once was a male model who was constantly being hit on by a couple of FAs and it certainly annoyed both of us rather than doing anything to enhance the trip.
When's the next fashion week; I need to book my F ticket. I'll keep the FAs from annoying him.

Next, the AA check in counter at PHX is staffed by such miserable wretches that on leaving the counter, one finds the TSA guys to the left screening checked bags to be nice.
So true!
Old May 12, 08, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I am planning my honeymoon right now.

We are going to Africa.

It was important to me that we fly in F for our honeymoon.

F tickets to Africa from the USA are 200,000 miles each.

I redeemed 400,000 hard earned miles for the tickets.
Old May 12, 08, 8:35 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, spg gold, hhdiamond
OP believes that the bride deserves to be in F.. He should be careful what he wishes. Maybe she will get the op up and meet some other cute random guy in first while op remains in J.. That would be a great honeymoon story.
Old May 12, 08, 9:07 am

Programs: AA PLT/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nytango View Post
He should be careful what he wishes.
I have a friend who refused an offer to upgrade him and his wife on a recent trip- logic being she was ok with economy class and he wanted to keep it that way.

Same guy wasn't interested in cheap/free high end F&B items as said wife was good with what she was getting at CVS and my connection wouldn't last forever (he was right.)
Old May 12, 08, 9:42 am

Programs: Haven't been flying for a while... :(
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul View Post
I have a friend who refused an offer to upgrade him and his wife on a recent trip- logic being she was ok with economy class and he wanted to keep it that way.

Same guy wasn't interested in cheap/free high end F&B items as said wife was good with what she was getting at CVS and my connection wouldn't last forever (he was right.)
Fly the front cabins once and you're ruined for life! I mean, why are we all here on FT otherwise?

With the additional cost of F over J (not just now, but also the "why settle for J" later on in married life), do you really want to pay that difference? Leave F award availability to those that know they want it.
Old May 12, 08, 10:49 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
I'm probably in the minority here, but I think OP and wife should get a free upgrade to F. After all, it is their big day. Their hotel room should be comped, as well as all dining during their honeymoon. They should get a free mansion to live in when they return from the trip, along with free servants for life. They should be waved gratis through grocery store checkout lines. Prepaid electric bills. Fill up at gas stations, drive off without paying, and no cop chases them. Exempt from all taxes. They should never have to work a day in their lives, yet be guaranteed a fully-funded retirement. Free rides on any pony in the world. Never have to tip anyone, especially skycaps.

Being cute and fun should be worth -something-.
Old May 12, 08, 10:50 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
You had me up until the pony part. That's a bit much.

Cheers.
Old May 12, 08, 10:57 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by brp View Post
You had me up until the pony part. That's a bit much.
Ok then, how about free pony rides as long as they clean up after the pony?
Old May 12, 08, 11:26 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, spg gold, hhdiamond
Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy View Post
Ok then, how about free pony rides as long as they clean up after the pony?
how could you give them free pony rides and leave out free health care for them and all the little cute ones to come. Get your priorities straight man...

Search this Thread