FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Any chance for congratulatory upgrade for newlyweds? ORD-NRT J-F? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/822695-any-chance-congratulatory-upgrade-newlyweds-ord-nrt-j-f.html)

kidpachinko May 11, 2008 5:55 pm

Put me in the "Congrats and good luck - ya never know" crowd. Don't expect much, but don't hate the guy for trying!

We got a bottle of champagne to take with us from a nice FA (had upgraded to J) for our honeymoon.

We even got a miracle dbl upgrade once (still not sure how or why - we're just Plats) after AA started the whole copay upgrade crap and we no longer upgrade our NRT trips. <--We were settling in to Coach after boarding, and the head FA came up and said, "Would you mind moving up to first? Coach is oversold and Biz is full." (Umm..... I guess we could....? :D)

So stranger things've happened! But they don't happen much....

Mrs. Kid & I are splurging on a FC trip to NRT next month. We wanted award tix, and there were no 90K J tix. They only had the 180K J tix, but then had 125K Z tix. So we will try out the solo sleepers on JAL5 from JFK and then compare to the AA FC coming back AA168. (!) -We have flown J plenty back when it was a cheap & easy 50K mile upgrade, but are now used to the back (except for the rarer-than-before op-ups) and feel truly spoiled & special for this flight. (Coach tix were $1500 each, and no VIP availability, so 250K miles for FC seems like a better alternative than $3K.)

As others have written, tho, the only sure way to get up to FC is to spend the $ or miles. Good luck nonetheless, tho!

-KP

azmojo May 11, 2008 6:18 pm

Thanks for the replies...

I'm not trying to get away with anything, I didn't mean the strict definitition of the word finagle. It's just that there are certain tecniques and approaches that are likely to be more successful than others, and I want to use those techniques. Put me in the "it doesn't hurt to ask" crowd.

Why does she deserve F? Because she's the most special person in the world... to me anyway. But does AA deserve the $4,000 difference in price? That's debatable and a subject for a different thread. Regardless if she or I or anyone deserves anything, there is a matter of being practical and I can tell you that we are in no posititon to blow $8,000 on a pair of nicer seats. Op upgrades do happen - however rarely - and I am just asking for help to increase my chances a little bit. This isn't anything that most of you haven't done yourselves or wouldn't do.

We are perfectly content to sit in J and will enjoy the trip just as much regardless. I'm just trying to maximize the experience.

shadesofgrey1x May 11, 2008 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by azmojo (Post 9709700)
Thanks for the replies...

I'm not trying to get away with anything, I didn't mean the strict definitition of the word finagle. It's just that there are certain tecniques and approaches that are likely to be more successful than others, and I want to use those techniques. Put me in the "it doesn't hurt to ask" crowd.

Why does she deserve F? Because she's the most special person in the world... to me anyway. But does AA deserve the $4,000 difference in price? That's debatable and a subject for a different thread. Regardless if she or I or anyone deserves anything, there is a matter of being practical and I can tell you that we are in no posititon to blow $8,000 on a pair of nicer seats. Op upgrades do happen - however rarely - and I am just asking for help to increase my chances a little bit. This isn't anything that most of you haven't done yourselves or wouldn't do.

We are perfectly content to sit in J and will enjoy the trip just as much regardless. I'm just trying to maximize the experience.

Congrads and a sincere best of luck on your honeymoon. But, I still see no reason for why being newlyweds is a reason to comp and upgrade?

If you don't mind me asking, are you applying the same strategy to your Hotel room, once you arrive? Or are you already in the best room in the Hotel?

msv777 May 11, 2008 6:32 pm

First class is nice.. My wife and I went on our honeymoon to Europe last summer and used miles to fly in First Class. Although it was very nice, I think we would have preferred Business Class. The Seats in First have partitions between them preventing you from getting close to your spouse [it is your honeymoon, btw]... The seats in business, even the NGBC have no partition and allow you to get close. and still let you sleep.. I'd opt for an A & B seat, like 10A & 10B and call it done.

just my .02 :D

Congrats, btw!

azmojo May 11, 2008 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x (Post 9709729)
Congrads and a sincere best of luck on your honeymoon. But, I still see no reason for why being newlyweds is a reason to comp and upgrade?

If you don't mind me asking, are you applying the same strategy to your Hotel room, once you arrive? Or are you already in the best room in the Hotel?

Certainly being newlyweds is *a* reason, but it may not be the best reason. If they have to give an op-up out, better to give it to newlyweds than random guy, don't you think? As others have shrared, they have gotten free things (champagne) for being newlyweds, so why not an op up? I wouldn't disagree though that it would make more sense to give an op-up to anyone else in J with status.

As far as the hotel, we don't really care about the room. A big room would just be a waste. All we want is a clean place to sleep and shower.

Spiff May 11, 2008 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by azmojo (Post 9709825)
If they have to give an op-up out, better to give it to newlyweds than random guy, don't you think?

Being the "random guy" (who flies AA a lot), no. :D

videomaker May 11, 2008 7:32 pm

I do wish you the best on your honeymoon. But now I'm curious, is this what you plan to tell the GA when you ask for an op-up: "We are a young, fun, and (if I say so myself) cute couple and we would make the F cabin look great if we were sitting up there."

I still don't think that will get you very far.

wonderbret May 11, 2008 7:40 pm

Go with business, for the reasons stated earlier. Also, on the anniversary you can get the seats up in first. Hopefully you will have the miles/money then. Congrats, btw!

Thumper May 11, 2008 7:46 pm

For my 25th anniversary I got op-ups BDL DFW CUN and back.
I was a million miler and was on the verge of EXP for the
first time.

We also got a bottle of champagne on the way out.

Well on my way to 2 MM and that's one of the reasons why.

jtrader May 11, 2008 7:49 pm

Gee people here are awfully harsh. I don't think there is anything wrong with OP's question. He doesn't seem to have a sense of entitlement, just wants to know the chances.

I'd agree with others that the chances aren't very good, but it doesn't hurt to let the GA know it's your honeymoon.

I would definitely email the concierge in your hotels in advance with any requests you have and to let them know it is your honeymoon. There is a good chance they'll do something special for you.

wanaflyforless May 11, 2008 7:52 pm

I wouldn't disagree though that it would make more sense to give an op-up to anyone else in J with status.

Originally Posted by Spiff (Post 9709881)
Being the "random guy"

Spiff = AA EXP/2MM

Don't get yourself confused with "random guy" ! :eek:

"random guy" is an entirely different species that deserves to wait in long check in lines, wait in long security lines, get stranded during irregular opps, wait on hold forever to talk to a live person, and most importantly, fly coach. "random guy" must NEVER get the upgrade.

You, however, belong to the venerable AA EXP/2MM species.

Don't get confused!

kidpachinko May 11, 2008 8:04 pm

I agree with jtrader. The Hilton Hawaiian Village upgraded us to a nicer Tower room (not a super Suite jump, but a great room!) on our honeymoon, and it made a great trip that much better. (We were HH Gold then, and I think the stay might have been HH points or something - I forget!) Especially with hotels, it doesn't costs them that much extra to have you sleep in a bigger room if they have vacancy.
I understand Spiff's point (ho 'dere, Spiffy!), but he's had a bunch of upgrades along the way with all that status and flying.
I have been lucky enough to have a smattering of op ups, and am always happy at such luck. Expecting such would be a no-no, but when did we start excoriating people for asking for tips to improve chances? -Isn't that why we like to check out FT?
-KP

wanaflyforless May 11, 2008 8:09 pm

Certainly being newlyweds is *a* reason, but it may not be the best reason.

Agreed and congratulations!
While your chances aren't high, it never hurts to ask. Be friendly and polite. Humor never hurts. You will probably fly business but the slight possiblity of scoring F class deserves a try for this landmark flight.

As far as the hotel, we don't really care about the room. A big room would just be a waste. All we want is a clean place to sleep and shower.

I am with you here.

Not everyone needs the biggest and the best; there are far better things to spend money on (people in need). Relationships make us happy, not the highest class flights/rooms.

Enjoy your time together. Do things you enjoy. Try new things. Look for adventure. Take pictures. Have fun!

azmojo May 11, 2008 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by videomaker (Post 9709920)
I do wish you the best on your honeymoon. But now I'm curious, is this what you plan to tell the GA when you ask for an op-up: "We are a young, fun, and (if I say so myself) cute couple and we would make the F cabin look great if we were sitting up there."

I still don't think that will get you very far.

Hence my post here... looking for suggestions. I can think of lots of things that won't work. Surely some of you have some tried and true methods or best estimates of the best way to attempt this.

bdemaria May 11, 2008 8:13 pm

Certainly being newlyweds is *a* reason, but it may not be the best reason. If they have to give an op-up out, better to give it to newlyweds than random guy, don't you think? As others have shrared, they have gotten free things (champagne) for being newlyweds, so why not an op up? I wouldn't disagree though that it would make more sense to give an op-up to anyone else in J with status..

That's just it - if they are doing Op Ups, it won't be a random decision. They will look at elites & paid J tickets. Also, at this point the load factors for your flight don't indicate that it will be necessary.