Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Any chance for congratulatory upgrade for newlyweds? ORD-NRT J-F?

Any chance for congratulatory upgrade for newlyweds? ORD-NRT J-F?

Old Jul 13, 08, 11:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by steve32 View Post
Maybe the OP is just going around telling people they are on their honeymoon, when in fact it's just a ploy to try to get freebie upgrades while on a vacation.

Steve
You might want to read the whole thread before replying. This has been covered, covered, and covered again.
Old Jul 14, 08, 1:12 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by jrockway View Post
You might want to read the whole thread before replying. This has been covered, covered, and covered again.
Wow. You've been waiting almost a year to post? Well then, welcome to the club! And great first post btw.
Old Jul 14, 08, 5:03 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Wow, what a fun thread! It has all the usual hallmarks of Flyertalk: someone asking about the possibility of an upgrade, followed by numerous posts attacking him, calling him a liar, and berating him for not doing a search! Ah, Flyertalk!

At any rate, I don't know why people are getting their undies in such a wad over a simple question about an upgrade. As most of us know, in other parts of the travel industry (hotels, car rentals, etc.) upgrades for honeymooners are fairly common. Maybe the OP didn't fully realize how upgrade protocol works at airlines or how valuable airline upgrades are. He really may have been asking an innocent question. There's no need to get nasty and accusatory. Just answer the question (even if the answer is, "That's not how airline upgrades work, sorry, you're out of luck").

That's not so hard, is it??

Old Jul 14, 08, 8:58 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Thanks for the contribution, and the snarkiness in your post. Yup, you've shown us that this is, indeed, the flytertalk you mentioned. self-fulfilling prophecy

Cheers.
Old Jul 14, 08, 10:21 am

Programs: AA PLT, BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Gold, Hilton Gold, Gold SPG, AS 75K, QR PLT
Since the question has been addressed, answered, ridiculed, attacked, redirected, hi-jacked, pontificated, debated, discussed, reviewed, analyzed, altered, rejected etc, can we just let it die or move to OMNI?

Can we add a new category for "Threads that don't die"???

Old Jul 14, 08, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by Deltahater View Post
Since the question has been addressed, answered, ridiculed, attacked, redirected, hi-jacked, pontificated, debated, discussed, reviewed, analyzed, altered, rejected etc, can we just let it die or move to OMNI?

So, is there an official policy on the order of upgrades when op-ups are needed?

Is it like

EXP, PLT, AAIRPASS, NEWLYWEDS, GOLD?
Old Jul 14, 08, 10:32 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, spg gold, hhdiamond
Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
So, is there an official policy on the order of upgrades when op-ups are needed?

Is it like

EXP, PLT, AAIRPASS, NEWLYWEDS, GOLD?
had you read the entire thread you would know the answer.
those with "notes in PNR" , cute newlyweds, newlyweds, exp pl airpass gold
Old Jul 14, 08, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nytango View Post
had you read the entire thread you would know the answer.
those with "notes in PNR" , cute newlyweds, newlyweds, exp pl airpass gold
Maybe it is "notes in PNR" , cute newlyweds, newlyweds, exp pl airpass everyone-else gold, since someone mentioned that gold has no value.
Old Jul 14, 08, 11:08 am
nrr

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I was once op-uped nrt-jfk i'm not sure why, i just made plt--i "guessed" it had something to do with a complaint letter i had written (i don't remember all the details now) and i was being "rewarded". I was in the nrt AC and was called to the desk and spoke with someone on the phone and was happily surprised with my op-up.
Before i made exp, i was frequently op-uped on the redeye las-ord.
I've noticed on this route, that if there are any seats open in fc and all the seats in y are taken, probably the first person in line for standby would get an op-up.
Old Jul 14, 08, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
Originally Posted by Deltahater

If the thread is removed out of this forum, it can't be found with a search, and the next person who asks even after doing a search will be flamed by all and sundry again even though it won't be his fault, and he won't understand what hit him.

Give newbies a chance, leave the thread here.

Steve
Old Jul 14, 08, 1:56 pm

How PHLflying scored a honeymoon upgrade

My wife and I were on the same flight as my uncle, who had skyteam status (we were on CO). He got himself and his son upgraded, and explained the situation to the GA, and it was quickly taken care of (swap)

This probably wouldn't work on AA, they would freak out about a different pax in first then on the list...
Old Jul 14, 08, 2:00 pm

I don't see any reason a one-time swap wouldn't be kosher. Just let the FAs know, so they are not bewildered when you don't answer to Mr. Smith.
Old Jul 14, 08, 3:05 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Originally Posted by skylady View Post
I don't see any reason a one-time swap wouldn't be kosher. Just let the FAs know, so they are not bewildered when you don't answer to Mr. Smith.
Well, we've swapped seats within F so that when we were called by name it was the wrong name. As they didn't know who had swapped with whom (and didn't seem concerned) it could just as well have been a J/Y swap.

Cheers.
Old Jul 14, 08, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Originally Posted by Deltahater View Post

That's already covered in the Omni thread on Tampa Bay cheerleaders busted in the bathroom.
Old Jul 14, 08, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nrr View Post
I was once op-uped nrt-jfk i'm not sure why, i just made plt--i "guessed" it had something to do with a complaint letter i had written (i don't remember all the details now) and i was being "rewarded". I was in the nrt AC and was called to the desk and spoke with someone on the phone and was happily surprised with my op-up.
Before i made exp, i was frequently op-uped on the redeye las-ord.
I've noticed on this route, that if there are any seats open in fc and all the seats in y are taken, probably the first person in line for standby would get an op-up.
Do they normally op up non-elite standbys to get them on a flight they aren't scheduled to be on?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: