Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Any chance for congratulatory upgrade for newlyweds? ORD-NRT J-F?

Any chance for congratulatory upgrade for newlyweds? ORD-NRT J-F?

Old Jul 12, 08, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL FO, UA Silver, IHG Spire IC, MR Gold, RCL D+, X Elite
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8300/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Post deleted.

Last edited by MJonTravel; Jul 13, 08 at 6:22 pm
Old Jul 12, 08, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
Originally Posted by EdV View Post
I'm sorry but I can't resist: having just come back from my honeymoon 4 months ago, I would hope that you would need a hotel room for more than sleeping and showering on your honeymoon.
Maybe the OP is just going around telling people they are on their honeymoon, when in fact it's just a ploy to try to get freebie upgrades while on a vacation.

Steve
Old Jul 12, 08, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
Originally Posted by wanaflyforless
There are two categories of upgrades.

1) Supported Upgrades (VIPs, Miles, 500s that EXP get unlimitted)

2) Unsupported Upgrades

Elites are entitled to supported upgrades in accordance with the rules published by AA.

Elites are not entitled to unsupported upgrades.
No one is.
These very rare gifts are just that: gifts.

AA maintains wait lists to process supported upgrades. No wait lists exist for unsupported upgrades.

The kind of upgrade the OP wants and I have attempted to help advise on is the unsupported type. The type no one is entitled to.
On a recent MR, coming back on the red-eye from SFO, the plane was very full. Apparently full enough that the GA wanted to free up some coach seats to squeeze a few more in. The GA called me over to his desk (I was sitting really close by, reading a novel) and gave me an op-up to First. I would like to assume that was due to my status as a Plat, and that is the SOP according to AA policy.

In the interest of full disclosure, I will admit that I was nice to the GA and a bit chatty. I didn't in fact need to ask him for anything as I already had my boarding pass and was not looking for an upgrade. I did inquire about the fact that we were taking a different A/C to DFW than had just arrived, unlike the previous week's flights, and I was just curious about that. A bit later, after having munched on an apple, I went back to the GA to inquire where I might be able to find a trash can, as I could see no less than five recycling cans while just standing there but not a single trash can. He explained that SFO just has everyone put everything in to the recycle cans, and all the trash/items are sorted by hand to separate out the recyclables.

Maybe I was just nice and cute enough to win the op-up lottery?

Originally Posted by wanaflyforless
The way I have given away upgrades before is switching boarding passes during the boarding process. This way the GA doesn't know so doesn't care and in the unlikely event the FAs ask any questions, we can simply explain we swamped seats.
"Swamped seats?" I might well give up my seat in FC too if I found that it had been "swamped"!

Steve

Last edited by steve32; Jul 12, 08 at 7:23 pm
Old Jul 12, 08, 9:02 pm

so the gist is, don't expect anything, but be nice and ask and be prepared to get shot down?

I'm going to try this in October, but I'll just be shooting to get into a J/business seat, with no expectations of actually getting it.
Old Jul 12, 08, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AAbuzzard View Post
Well, for those of us who followed this thread--with more or less attention--it was nice to see what it all came to. Thanks for the update. And congrats to getting married, etc.
For anybody who had the slightest iota of an inkling of a doubt about what the outcome would be, I'm sure it was nice to see what it all came to. For the rest, we eagerly await next month's thread on freebie upgrades for honeymooners.
Old Jul 12, 08, 10:21 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Originally Posted by gemac View Post
For the rest, we eagerly await next month's thread on freebie upgrades for honeymooners.
Or generally about groveling for things we don't deserve but hope we can get anyway.

Cheers.
Old Jul 12, 08, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp View Post
Or generally about groveling for things we don't deserve but hope we can get anyway.

Cheers.
If we aren't going to be specific, no need to wait until next month:
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...818106&page=15

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=844324
Old Jul 12, 08, 11:17 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by gemac View Post
If we aren't going to be specific, no need to wait until next month:
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...818106&page=15

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=844324
On FT, some things are as dependable as the swallows of Capistrano.
Old Jul 13, 08, 3:58 am

You don't have to wait long for the "honeymoon upgrade" request report.

Had a young guy ask me last night if he and his bride could get an upgrade to First, as they were a honeymoon couple. I told him if he was asking for a complimentary upgrade, then it wasn't going to happen unless he would like to produce an upgrade instrument.
He stated that they had already been upgraded to biz, and would prefer first. Had to explain the whole 3-class concept. He may have been young, but certainly not fun.
Old Jul 13, 08, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skylady View Post
You don't have to wait long for the "honeymoon upgrade" request report.

Had a young guy ask me last night if he and his bride could get an upgrade to First, as they were a honeymoon couple. I told him if he was asking for a complimentary upgrade, then it wasn't going to happen unless he would like to produce an upgrade instrument.
He stated that they had already been upgraded to biz, and would prefer first. Had to explain the whole 3-class concept. He may have been young, but certainly not fun.
Ahhh, yes. But were they cute?
Old Jul 13, 08, 6:21 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
another honeymoon accomodation by AA

been some time back, but when we started out on our honeymoon we were booked on UA, who happened to go on strike about that time.

we got rebooked in separate coach seats on AA. I mentioned our circumstances to FA who got on the PA, much to the embarrassment of my new bride. some folks moved and allowed us to sit together. another FA then gave us a couple of pillowcases, each containing a full size bottle of wine ^

I haven't forgotten those gestures of kindness.
Old Jul 13, 08, 9:18 am

Programs: AA - EXP 1.5 Million Miles, SPG Gold, hertz 5 star
Originally Posted by benzguy80 View Post
another FA then gave us a couple of pillowcases, each containing a full size bottle of wine ^.
anything to offload weight from the aircraft
Old Jul 13, 08, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by britenbsas View Post
People...this is history! There were 181 posts before the OP's honeymoon. We don't need another 181 of post-honeymoon analysis and speculation as to whether the OP and his bride got the upgrade or not. Hopefully they had such a wonderful time that the issue of whether they flew in J or F will now seem quite insignificant.
I love this... A post to tell other people not to post.
Luckily the OP updated us 3 posts later.
Old Jul 13, 08, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by azmojo View Post
So the answer you all have been waiting for... we were NOT upgraded.

At check-in in Phoenix, there just wasn't a good way to bring up the honeymoon thing without just sounding like a DB so I didn't. The plane was quite full anyway, and I don't think there were a pair of F seats next to each other anyway. However, there was a lady lady that arrived at the J boarding line right behind us, and the GA asked and gave her an op-up. I don't know any of the circumstances behind this, but either the GA already knew her somehow, or it was kind of random.
Why do you think the GA knew her or it was "just random", rather than the person having some type of elite status?
Old Jul 13, 08, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA PLT (MR Gld; Hertz PC), AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT GLD, GP Plt, Mets fan.
Originally Posted by steve32 View Post
On a recent MR, coming back on the red-eye from SFO, the plane was very full. Apparently full enough that the GA wanted to free up some coach seats to squeeze a few more in. The GA called me over to his desk (I was sitting really close by, reading a novel) and gave me an op-up to First. I would like to assume that was due to my status as a Plat, and that is the SOP according to AA policy.

Maybe I was just nice and cute enough to win the op-up lottery?

Steve
Classic op-up situation. F has openings, Y is full. OpUp goes to mid-tier elite, travelling solo.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: