Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Any chance for congratulatory upgrade for newlyweds? ORD-NRT J-F?

Any chance for congratulatory upgrade for newlyweds? ORD-NRT J-F?

Old May 13, 08, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by wanaflyforless View Post
I will offer my OP UP - no miles paid by anyone - to honeymooners if there are any in the gate area.
I could be wrong (if I am, jrhone, would you please correct me?), but doing this is likely to tick off the GA. If the GA decided that someone should get an Op Up, that was the GA's decision after looking at the manifest. If the Op Up hadn't gone to passenger A, the GA would have selected Passenger B based on the criteria the GA is using.
Old May 14, 08, 12:10 am

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
Originally Posted by Landing Gear View Post
I could be wrong (if I am, jrhone, would you please correct me?), but doing this is likely to tick off the GA. If the GA decided that someone should get an Op Up, that was the GA's decision after looking at the manifest. If the Op Up hadn't gone to passenger A, the GA would have selected Passenger B based on the criteria the GA is using.
Agreed it could annoy the GA if she saw me do it.

The way I have given away upgrades before is switching boarding passes during the boarding process. This way the GA doesn't know so doesn't care and in the unlikely event the FAs ask any questions, we can simply explain we swamped seats.
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma View Post
I agree that honeymooners are not entitled to upgrades but if elites are not entitled either, can you please explain why AA maintains wait lists from which it processes upgrades for elite travelers?
There are two categories of upgrades.

1) Supported Upgrades (VIPs, Miles, 500s that EXP get unlimitted)

2) Unsupported Upgrades

Elites are entitled to supported upgrades in accordance with the rules published by AA.

Elites are not entitled to unsupported upgrades.
No one is.
These very rare gifts are just that: gifts.

AA maintains wait lists to process supported upgrades. No wait lists exist for unsupported upgrades.

The kind of upgrade the OP wants and I have attempted to help advise on is the unsupported type. The type no one is entitled to.
Huh? You just contradicted your previous statement.
I don't see the contradiction.
You seem to be genuinely concerned for the OP and want him and his new bride to be upgraded. If that's so, then I am having a hard time understanding your stance on this. You keep insisting that the OP should hold out for an op-up (as if we could stop him) that even you have admitted is quite a long-shot. If the point of this thread is to actually get the OP into F, it seems like you would be supporting some of the practical advice that has been offered rather than condemning it.
IMO, the goal of the thread is to increase the possibility of F using an unsupported upgrade. Some prefer the unlikely chance of a free upgrade (unsupported) to paying for a sure one (supported upgrade).
Good grief. While you've been pontificating, several here have actually been trying to constructively help the OP. One kind soul (probably one of those entitled-feeling elites) even looked up Z availability for the OP on the outbound and stated he'd have done so on the return had he known the correct date.
Edited to add:
My hero.
As the goal is increasing the chance of an unsupported upgrade, how does looking up Z help?
The OP was clear he doesn't want to pay for the certainty but prefers to play the lottery for the unpaid kind. This lottery isn't totally random and the OP asked for advice of how to increase his odds at winning.
The OP asked for help RE unsupported upgrades. Telling him to pay for a supported one doesn't increase his odds towards his objective: free upgrade
Originally Posted by aamilesslave View Post
That's mighty generous of you. Offer up something that almost never happens....
Agreed; not very generous of me.
When it comes to supported upgrades (where entitlement exists) I am not so generous to strangers as when it comes to unsupported upgrades (where entitlement shouldn't exist but has been evident in this thread).
Originally Posted by travelingman12 View Post
I'd be very surprised if even 10% of the time, the newlyweds would volunteer to be split apart.
Good point.
Originally Posted by videomaker View Post
Please help me understand these posts. You would give up your op up to honeymooners, but not upgrades you earned by being elite, or upgrades with miles or with an eVIP?
Is that the same as "entitlement" that you referred to in another post?
Elites are entitled to supported upgrades.
No one (including elites) is entitled to unsupported upgrades.
I am not generous enough to give up the kind I am entitled to (the kind the OP is NOT asking about).

The OP wants an unsupported upgrade.

We already get the better (supported) kind.

Sometimes free is king over certaintly.

Last edited by wanaflyforless; May 14, 08 at 10:23 am
Old May 14, 08, 2:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Life Gold, Marriott Platinum Elite
wanaflyforless, well said.

FWIW, the bride and I fly together. Either we both get upgrades or we don't.
Old May 14, 08, 7:32 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Pucci,

I know who you are even though you have not graced me with even the rank of porteur in your légion d'honneur.

If I recall correctly, Mel B. was Scary Spice. My remark about Victoria was an acerbic comment about her since her arrival in this country where she comes off a bit like a bad guy on The Twilight Zone. In fact, I think she outdoes Angelina Jolie in Mr. & Mrs. Smith and Jolie was acting.

Otherwise, I agree with you.
Landing Gear - stop by BA Forum and we will see what we can do. This is too public a place for what I have in mind.

Gemac -" Merci, mais j'ai été allé seulement pour un jour ou deux"

Monsieur, je crois que vous [/i]etes[/i] alles (no aigue on this keyboard)

To the OP - you sentiment does you credit. J on American used to produce the same Champagne as in F - and very good it is too. Toast each other and have a very happy and long marriage together.
Old May 14, 08, 8:47 am

Congratulations. On our honeymoon (a long time ago) AA relocated our assigned seats (in coach) and we didn't even get to sit together! Still, our marriage has worked out for a long time despite never once flying first class (we do that for the first time Friday to Hawaii). Still, you never know what you'll get if you ask. We did get a nice bottle of champagne on our 25th anniversary from Marriott when they found out about it (we did not ask--just came up and they apparently pay attention sometimes to that kind of thing). Good luck.
Old May 14, 08, 9:41 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Ha Ha. On our honeymoon we didn't even fly on the same planes to London let alone the same airline.

It was a couple of years before we merged our flying. Afterall there are priorities that supercede sitting next to each other. YMMV

Full disclosure; It was my 2nd and her 3rd.

OT: Today is our anniversary.

Last edited by magic111; May 14, 08 at 10:03 am
Old May 14, 08, 11:45 am

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by magic111 View Post
Ha Ha. On our honeymoon we didn't even fly on the same planes to London let alone the same airline.

It was a couple of years before we merged our flying. Afterall there are priorities that supercede sitting next to each other. YMMV

Full disclosure; It was my 2nd and her 3rd.

OT: Today is our anniversary.
Happy Anniversary! ^

For today only, FlyerTalk is free for you.
Old May 14, 08, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Happy Anniversary! ^

For today only, FlyerTalk is free for you.
Congratulations indeed. In fact, if I were flying internationally today and if I rec'd an OP UP and if magic111 and wife were on the same flight and if they did NOT get an OP UP to celebrate their anniversary, I would give them mine.
Old May 14, 08, 12:11 pm

I wouldnt be ticked off about it, as long as I follow the procedures for op-ups and do my job correctly then there is nothing for me to be upset about really.

That being said , there are certain criteria for op-ups and if you give it to someone who does not meet that criteria I would take the seat back.

The agent giveth, the agent taketh away
Old May 14, 08, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
Originally Posted by jrhone View Post
The agent giveth, the agent taketh away
UH OH!
Originally Posted by bdemaria View Post
Congratulations indeed. In fact, if I were flying internationally today and if I rec'd an OP UP and if magic111 and wife were on the same flight and if they did NOT get an OP UP to celebrate their anniversary, I would give them mine.
A man after my own heart! ^

Old May 14, 08, 3:21 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold, Accor & IHG Plat, Meliá & HH & Marriott & Radisson Gold
UH OH!
Surely you wouldn't object to a GA taking an op up away? After all, it's not as if anyone's entitled to it...

A man after my own heart!
?
Old May 14, 08, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IMO, the goal of the thread is to increase the possibility of F using an unsupported upgrade. Some prefer the unlikely chance of a free upgrade (unsupported) to paying for a sure one (supported upgrade).
See, this is I think where the problem lies. The chances of an "unsupported" upgrade are sooooo darn minuscule, that it's a waste of breath and bandwidth describing how one might go about increasing those odds. Hence, in order to provide actually useful information, most of the early posters in the thread encouraged the original poster to seek out a supported upgrade (or F/Z reward ticket). It was completely valid advice, IMHO, and the OP should have taken away from the commentary that these unsupported upgrades are just not something worth pursuing.
Old May 14, 08, 6:46 pm

Ya know, there was some good advice here. But, it was mixed in with enough snarky commentary that I'd understand if OP turned tail and left this forum entirely.

Here's our honeymoon experience. No awards were available -- in any class of service on any airline. We couldn't use SWUs that had been gifted to us. We found a cheap fare and sat in the back of the plane on UA and SAA. Told GAs and FAs that we were on our honeymoon. Got a glass of champagne from UA and a bottle of champagne from SAA on the outbound. Got nothing on the return.

Now... the trip itself. Hotel in Cape Town couldn't care less that it was our honeymoon - we still got the same average room that was part of our package. On our safari, the staff made us private dinners and treated us remarkably because it was our honeymoon. YMMV.

The best part of the whole experience? Telling people it was our honeymoon.

OP - ask nicely, assume you'll get nothing and have a great trip. The fact that you want F class for your sweetie is a good sign. ^
Old May 14, 08, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by KSinNYC View Post
YMMV.

The best part of the whole experience? Telling people it was our honeymoon.
So telling people was the best part of your honeymoon experience? Wow. Talk about YMMV.
Old May 14, 08, 9:17 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage and New York City

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
A man after my own heart! ^
Um, no.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: