Any chance for congratulatory upgrade for newlyweds? ORD-NRT J-F?

Old May 13, 08, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
I fly more and hold more elite statuses than most here but am having a hard time understanding the entitlement of elites expressed in this thread.

Neither elites nor recently married folks are entitled to upgrades. Both are possible reasons for a free gift. If the honeymooner gets an upgrade once or twice a lifetime, good for them.

We elites already have tons of advantages. We are able to advance confirm VIP upgrades, get upgraded domestically 80% of the time, skip lines, and generally get good CS.

Why not let someone else try for a .05% chance at a free upgrade once or twice a lifetime?

For those who say it can't happen, I think that has already been well disproven. For those who say it shouldn't happen, why not let someone else get something good once in a long while?

Last edited by wanaflyforless; May 13, 08 at 12:50 pm
Old May 13, 08, 12:48 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by wanaflyforless View Post
For those who say it shouldn't happen, why not let someone else get something good once in a long while?
I agree entirely ... as long as you give up YOUR earned elite privilege instead of insisting I give up mine.
Old May 13, 08, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy View Post
I've been doing it wrong. A few weeks or months before my trip I talk to the Exec Plat desk and apply my earned upgrades. So you're saying to omit that step? I'm supposed to talk instead to the station manager at my originating airport? If so, this is really handy information which will save me significant time and effort in the future.
Do you prefer the .5%-5% chance method to the 95% chance method?

Why begrudge someone the former when you can use the latter?

Perhaps you have the miles/financial wealth to do the lattter while the OP doesn't. So you choose the latter while the OP might choose the former. You have the advantage.
Old May 13, 08, 12:52 pm
EdV

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, AA ExPlat, LT Gold
Originally Posted by azmojo View Post
As far as the hotel, we don't really care about the room. A big room would just be a waste. All we want is a clean place to sleep and shower.
I'm sorry but I can't resist: having just come back from my honeymoon 4 months ago, I would hope that you would need a hotel room for more than sleeping and showering on your honeymoon.
Old May 13, 08, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy View Post
I agree entirely ... as long as you give up YOUR earned elite privilege instead of insisting I give up mine.
I think my proposal is that WE give up OUR seats once or twice a lifetime.

I will lead by example.
Old May 13, 08, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*

I will lead by example.
You're going to upgrade the honeymoon couple with your miles? What a nice gesture.
Old May 13, 08, 12:58 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold, Accor & IHG Plat, Meliá & HH & Marriott & Radisson Gold
I will lead by example.
That's a generous offer. Do please post your itineraries well in advance so that people contemplating marriage can plan their honeymoon trips to suit.
Old May 13, 08, 1:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref

I will lead by example.
I want all upgrades that I am in the proper pecking order for and do not want to be leaped by someone b/c its their special day.. on my special day I'll ensure I get the class I want by purchasing that class

If I so choose to give up my upgrade, I want to be able to decide that whether to military personnel (my personal preference including that over honeymooners) or someone else
Old May 13, 08, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, spg gold, hhdiamond

I will lead by example.
I am waiting to hear from the OP that you have applied your vips or miles to his honeymoon trip GREAT OFFER this is what FT is all about.
Old May 13, 08, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by videomaker View Post
You're going to upgrade the honeymoon couple with your miles? What a nice gesture.
I will offer my OP UP - no miles paid by anyone - to honeymooners if there are any in the gate area.

This thread isn't talking about paid (miles/VIP) upgrades. We elites enjoy these often.

This thread is talking about unsupported upgrades. I advocate sharing these very uncommon special gifts with people on honeymoons.

(In this case I couldn't upgrade the OP with my miles/VIPs even if I wanted to, as he and bride are on mileage awards.)
Old May 13, 08, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
I will offer my OP UP - no miles paid by anyone - to honeymooners if there are any in the gate area.

This thread isn't talking about paid (miles/VIP) upgrades. We elites enjoy these often.

This thread is talking about unsupported upgrades. I advocate sharing these very uncommon special gifts with people on honeymoons.

(In this case I couldn't upgrade the OP with my miles/VIPs even if I wanted to, as he and bride are on mileage awards.)
Sure you could, just buy the happy couple two tickets in F with miles at the standard AAward level and let them redeposit theirs. Then they could use their miles to celebrate their next anniversary or maybe bring mom in Biz on a standard AAward on the Honeymoon.

What a nice gesture that would be.
Old May 13, 08, 1:53 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
This thread is talking about unsupported upgrades.
Almost correct. This thread is -fantasizing- about unearned upgrades.
Old May 13, 08, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Neither elites nor recently married folks are entitled to upgrades.
I agree that honeymooners are not entitled to upgrades but if elites are not entitled either, can you please explain why AA maintains waitlists from which it processes upgrades for elite travelers?

We elites already have tons of advantages. We are able to advance confirm VIP upgrades, get upgraded domestically 80% of the time...
Huh? You just contradicted your previous statement.

Why not let someone else try for a .05% chance at a free upgrade once or twice a lifetime?
No one's stopping anyone from trying. But once more, I'm confused by your statements.

You seem to be genuinely concerned for the OP and want him and his new bride to be upgraded. If that's so, then I am having a hard time understanding your stance on this. You keep insisting that the OP should hold out for an op-up (as if we could stop him) that even you have admitted is quite a longshot. If the point of this thread is to actually get the OP into F, it seems like you would be supporting some of the practical advice that has been offered rather than condemning it.

Originally Posted by wanaflyforless
I will lead by example.
Good grief. While you've been pontificating, several here have actually been trying to constructively help the OP. One kind soul (probably one of those entitled-feeling elites) even looked up Z availbility for the OP on the outbound and stated he'd have done so on the return had he known the correct date.

Edited to add:

My hero.
Old May 13, 08, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, spg gold, hhdiamond
Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x View Post
Sure you could, just buy the happy couple two tickets in F with miles at the standard AAward level and let them redeposit theirs. Then they could use their miles to celebrate their next anniversary or maybe bring mom in Biz on a standard AAward on the Honeymoon.

What a nice gesture that would be.
we already determined that there was Z1 so the deserving bride could be in First. She is the one that OP claims he wants the upgrade for. So just have them change her award ticket.. I think it is merely 35K miles what good elite wouldn't give that up for such a cute thing.
Old May 13, 08, 2:05 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold, Accor & IHG Plat, Meliá & HH & Marriott & Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma View Post
I agree that honeymooners are not entitled to upgrades
I'm disappointed. It's unlike you to be so mean and harsh.

Originally Posted by oklAAhoma View Post
please explain why AA maintains waitlists from which it processes upgrades for elite travelers?
It's clearly a wrongheaded and outmoded approach. AA should lead the way forward, drop all this tiresome EQM/EQP/segments nonsense and award status on the basis of frailness, military service and above all cuteness.

Time to book that plastic surgery and start looking forward to my first-ever AAdvantage Executive Cutie Card.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: