FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   New member- Need to ask question on PLT renewal (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/822374-new-member-need-ask-question-plt-renewal.html)

krispykrme May 10, 2008 12:06 pm

New member- Need to ask question on PLT renewal

Hello,

I am a gold member that was downgraded this year. AA is now offering to renew my plt status.

I am debating if i want to do this or not. Does pay for re-newal to platinmum also renew the one-world membership to Sapphire?

JJeffrey May 10, 2008 12:14 pm

Welcome to FT!

Yes...paying to renew your status is no different than flying the 50k miles. You'll receive the same PLT card, same OW benefits, etc.

Nice handle btw.

JDiver May 10, 2008 12:19 pm

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

AA do nut, er, do not, differentiate between an earned Platinum / ow Sapphire and a purchased one, as JJeffrey states.

(N.B. You will have to earn Platinum more conventionally in C/Y 2008 to continue as more than Gold as of March 1, 2009; two consecutive status repurchases are not a possibility, unless there are changes AA plans we are not aware of.)

krispykrme May 10, 2008 12:30 pm

Thanks guys.

I will renew this year. As i probably will not be able to hit 50k miles until very end of this year.

How quickly does the database updates?

So if I fly on JAL when I renew, it will also see me as sapphire right?

JDiver May 10, 2008 2:01 pm

I'm not sure how quickly the status shows - but as quickly as if you qualified, I suspect (my sister did hits, and it was within days.) You might inquire when you call. And flying JL you should receive all the perks JL allows a oneworld Sapphire, such as Sakura Lounge access the day of international flight on oneworld metal (if you already have booked, it could be the occasional PNR / record would need to be updated, if the system works at all like American's.)

Originally Posted by krispykrme (Post 9705056)
...I will renew this year. As i probably will not be able to hit 50k miles until very end of this year.

How quickly does the database updates?

So if I fly on JAL when I renew, it will also see me as sapphire right?

davidthomson May 10, 2008 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 9705004)
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

AA do nut, er, do not, differentiate between an earned Platinum / ow Sapphire and a purchased one, as JJeffrey states.

(N.B. You will have to earn Platinum more conventionally in C/Y 2008 to continue as more than Gold as of March 1, 2009; two consecutive status repurchases are not a possibility, unless there are changes AA plans we are not aware of.)

Sorry to be contrary JDiver but that is not entirely true. I know the rules state that but I sent a very nice letter to them this year asking for an exception which they granted, and so have paid for 2 consecutive status conservations in Plat. I imagine that its not the norm though. Cheers.