CX Preferred Seats

Old May 7, 08, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

CX Preferred Seats

I am flying a CX flight SFO - HGK - BKK this summer. I selected seats when booking online, but now I am wondering if it is possible to get preferred seating on this flight. I called and was told this was not possible until check in. Any other experiences out there? Tips on milking this for all it is worth? I should be Plt two weeks prior to the flight. Is that enough time to get my new card? Think I need a card to access the CX lounge (or will my OW status show up without it)?

Thanks!
Old May 7, 08, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA GLD, soon-to-be PLT in 2 weeks!
Originally Posted by onfo View Post
I am flying a CX flight SFO - HGK - BKK this summer. I selected seats when booking online, but now I am wondering if it is possible to get preferred seating on this flight. I called and was told this was not possible until check in. Any other experiences out there? Tips on milking this for all it is worth? I should be Plt two weeks prior to the flight. Is that enough time to get my new card? Think I need a card to access the CX lounge (or will my OW status show up without it)?

Thanks!
First, where did you buy the tickets? On AA's website or CX's?

Who told you it's not possible to get preferred seating until check in?

Maybe do a quick MR to get to PLT a little sooner? If you can't do that, maybe ask AA to send a letter saying you are in fact PLT when you fly.
Old May 7, 08, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

i bought it via the CX web site, and the CX CSR told me that they could not change my seats until check in since it was a web booking...
Old May 7, 08, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 2.3 MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold, recovering UA Premier
I am flying a CX flight SFO - HGK - BKK this summer. I selected seats when booking online, but now I am wondering if it is possible to get preferred seating on this flight.
Maybe. I wasn't able to book exit rows SFO-HKG until I was EXP (OW emerald). I usually buy my CX tickets by phone. When the reps enter my AA number, the computer brings up OW status, and the reps give me whatever seat I want. (Well, almost - I tried to get 30H once on a 747, and I was told it was a baby bassinet seat, so I had to sit by a lav in an exit row.)

I called and was told this was not possible until check in. Any other experiences out there?
No idea, since I almost always purchase by phone. Maybe AA GLD doesn't count for much in terms of seating preference?

One neat thing to keep in mind about CX's on-line check in is that it opens 48 hours before flight.

I should be Plt two weeks prior to the flight. Is that enough time to get my new card? Think I need a card to access the CX lounge (or will my OW status show up without it)?
I doubt it's enough time to get a new card, but that shouldn't matter. The first time I flew CX (SFO-HKG-SIN-HKG-SFO), I made PLT on the first leg. On the return 3-4 days later, my PLT status was reflected in the computers and they gave me lounge passes on check in. I would not worry in the least about the card, since CX generally seems very good about offering OW benefits.

You are in for a treat when you visit the lounges in HKG. I prefer the Wing because it tends to be a bit quieter, but they are both very, very good. Arguably, they are the best lounges in the OW network.
Old May 7, 08, 6:52 pm
tt7

If you bought the ticket on the CX website, presumably it's a CX ticket and not an AA-codeshare ticket? Assuming you're in economy, do you know what fare class it is? Only Y, B and H (economy) tickets on CX earn AA miles. Part of the preferred seat-selection issue may be that it is a deep-discount ticket (so no AA miles) that doesn't permit pre-selection of preferred seating.
Old May 7, 08, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

H

Sorry this info was not included originally. The ticket (all legs) are ticketed in 'H' econ..
Old May 7, 08, 7:36 pm
Moderator: Cathay Pacific Asia Miles and Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
I think Gold can get ASR too. If you buy from the web site, I am not sure, but perhaps the eService Centre can offer better help than the local CSRs. It is long distance though and can be a long wait - +852 2747 2200.
Old May 7, 08, 8:29 pm

perhaps you can get better answers on the cx forum?

what does this have to do with aa?
Old May 7, 08, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nacirema View Post
perhaps you can get better answers on the cx forum?

what does this have to do with aa?
Well, the only reason I would be getting to choose preferred seats would be due to my Plt AA status. I guess I thought a CX Asia Miles person would have been able to select seats via the web site and this would be completely irrelevant for them.

Moreover, I thought there would be a better chance of someone on this forum having had a similar problem then someone on the CX forum (because they have Asia miles).

Sorry for apparently posting in the wrong forum...
Old May 7, 08, 9:22 pm
Moderator: Cathay Pacific Asia Miles and Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Well, the only reason I would be getting to choose preferred seats would be due to my Plt AA status. I guess I thought a CX Asia Miles person would have been able to select seats via the web site and this would be completely irrelevant for them.

Moreover, I thought there would be a better chance of someone on this forum having had a similar problem then someone on the CX forum (because they have Asia miles).

Sorry for apparently posting in the wrong forum...
That is true. It should belong to the CX forum. But anyway, CX has Asia Miles for award redemption and Marco Polo Club for tier status. I suppose you mean the MPC. MPC elite members (Silver, Gold and Diamond) can call MPC hotline for advance seat reservation. However, that may not work for AAdvantage members.
Old May 7, 08, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH Diamond
I just got off the YVR-JFK flight. In Y as J OW fare was >$2,000 (what is up with that?). I didn't have a preferred seat but the TA blocked two seats for me based on OW status so i could have an entire section to myself. Veery good service, and a cool seat that doesn't move back when it reclines. No problem for 5 hours. 16 to HKG might be another story.
Old May 7, 08, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This sounds entirely appropriate for the AA forum. How would anyone on the CX board know what AA Gold benefits are? Most of us here probably couldn't describe the finer points of Admirals Club access for BA Exec Club elite...

Search this Thread