LAX-FLL gone?

 
Old May 5, 08, 10:29 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: San Diego, CA
Programs: AA ex-EXP, 2MM (ex DL, ex TWA)
Posts: 1,419
LAX-FLL gone?

Was just searching for LAX-FLL in November. Seems to be gone, as in no flights at all! Wasn't this recently a 4x daily route, with 757s?
Wexflyer is offline  
Old May 5, 08, 10:44 pm
  #2  
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,852
well discussed - right here on the first page of this forum - 3 threads even

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=820567

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=820628

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=819779
HNL is offline  
Old May 5, 08, 10:49 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: San Diego, CA
Programs: AA ex-EXP, 2MM (ex DL, ex TWA)
Posts: 1,419

I don't see any mention of LAX-FLL there, though my eyes may be going...
Wexflyer is offline  
Old May 5, 08, 10:57 pm
  #4  
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,852
Originally Posted by Wexflyer View Post
I don't see any mention of LAX-FLL there, though my eyes may be going...

How about the 3rd thread I linked to with this title.
AUS-SEA/SNA/RDU; LAX-FLL/SAT; ORD-FCO; OAK-DFW gone

Time to see the eye doctor.
HNL is offline  
Old May 5, 08, 11:38 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: FLL -> Where The Boyars Are
Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Posts: 18,669
<redacted> FLL isn't usually that bad for W/C requests - PBI is usually much more active in that regard. I still remember coming into PBI on a flight from EWR (on CO) - I was the first person off, and the left side of the entire length of the jetway was lined with chairs. As I reached the gate I heard the GA say to one of the third-party company workers that there were a total of 63 chair reqests

Last edited by JDiver; May 8, 08 at 8:41 pm Reason: redacted deleted post
Non-NonRev is offline  
Old May 5, 08, 11:50 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: San Diego, CA
Programs: AA ex-EXP, 2MM (ex DL, ex TWA)
Posts: 1,419
Originally Posted by spurg View Post
so let me get this straight:
no more LAX - FLL?
<redacted>
Those flights were the cheapest by far from the west to east coasts, I would not be so flippant about loosing them.

Last edited by JDiver; May 8, 08 at 8:40 pm Reason: redacted quote from deleted post
Wexflyer is offline  
Old May 5, 08, 11:53 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: San Diego, CA
Programs: AA ex-EXP, 2MM (ex DL, ex TWA)
Posts: 1,419
Originally Posted by HNL View Post
How about the 3rd thread I linked to with this title.
AUS-SEA/SNA/RDU; LAX-FLL/SAT; ORD-FCO; OAK-DFW gone

Time to see the eye doctor.
No fair - hidden!

This is an earth shattering development, should not be hidden away!
Really, this route was the cheapest by far from Southern California to Florida, its loss will put a big dent in my and other pockets.....
Wexflyer is offline  
Old May 5, 08, 11:58 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: LAX
Programs: AA EX PLT
Posts: 1,428
no kidding.
noone should be flippant about losing lax-fll.

those flights were a deal.
and a guaranteed upgrade.

and they will be missed by me.
spurg is offline  
Old May 6, 08, 12:47 am
  #9  
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SJC
Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Posts: 32,587
Inasmuch as I live near SJC and my brother lives near FLL (Pompano Beach), I'm less than thrilled about the loss of that route...wheelchair notwithstanding.

Cheers.
brp is offline  
Old May 8, 08, 6:56 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: LAX/SNA
Programs: AA PLT/1.9MM
Posts: 500
Originally Posted by spurg View Post
no kidding.
noone should be flippant about losing lax-fll.

those flights were a deal.
and a guaranteed upgrade.

and they will be missed by me.
They were definitely a deal. I've flown the LAX-FLL-LAX nonstop 12 times this year with prices ranging from $204 - $295 all in...all but 2 of those flights on the low end of that range. Looks like I'll be flying the jetBlue & Spirit nonstops after September...those prices average $270 - $350 all in so still not too bad.
Jumpcut is offline  
Old May 8, 08, 7:06 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: ORD
Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Posts: 3,876
Originally Posted by Jumpcut View Post
They were definitely a deal. I've flown the LAX-FLL-LAX nonstop 12 times this year with prices ranging from $204 - $295 all in...all but 2 of those flights on the low end of that range. Looks like I'll be flying the jetBlue & Spirit nonstops after September...those prices average $270 - $350 all in so still not too bad.
Those price points likely expalain why the flight is history. At those levels, big money looser with oil at $120.00 a barrel.
grahampros is offline  
Old May 8, 08, 7:53 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: DFW/DAL
Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Posts: 20,239
Originally Posted by grahampros View Post
Those price points likely expalain why the flight is history. At those levels, big money looser with oil at $120.00 a barrel.
Who has loose money?
mvoight is offline  
Old May 14, 08, 2:33 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: LAX/SNA
Programs: AA PLT/1.9MM
Posts: 500
I realize that FAs are not always the best source for the inside scoop, but a regular FA on this route told me that several cruise lines are banding together and trying to negotiate/convince AA to reinstate LAX-FLL. Outside of cruise-goers, she said several of her regular passengers are "devastated" by the cancellation, especially those who visit elderly parents on a regular basis. She's encouraging passengers to write AA to reconsider.

I wrote...not getting my hopes up but it couldn't hurt...
Jumpcut is offline  
Old May 14, 08, 3:09 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: LAX; AA EXP, MM; HH Gold
Posts: 31,790
Originally Posted by Jumpcut View Post
I realize that FAs are not always the best source for the inside scoop, but a regular FA on this route told me that several cruise lines are banding together and trying to negotiate/convince AA to reinstate LAX-FLL.
Well, airlines do like subsidies. AA gets subsidies for some of its Caribbean flights - why not FLL?
FWAAA is offline  
Old May 14, 08, 3:12 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NYC
Programs: DL PM; AA 1MM
Posts: 3,339
Originally Posted by Jumpcut View Post
I realize that FAs are not always the best source for the inside scoop, but a regular FA on this route told me that several cruise lines are banding together and trying to negotiate/convince AA to reinstate LAX-FLL. Outside of cruise-goers, she said several of her regular passengers are "devastated" by the cancellation, especially those who visit elderly parents on a regular basis. She's encouraging passengers to write AA to reconsider.

I wrote...not getting my hopes up but it couldn't hurt...
I can't comprehend people being "devastated". A connection instead of non-stop may be a nuisance, but it's hardly devastating.
ty97 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: