Wiki Posts
Search

Any tips for AA at ATL?

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2008, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA gold MM, HH gold, SPG gold,
Any tips for AA at ATL?

Tried search, but nothing found. I have a flight from LGA to ATL next week, my first time ever to ATL. Am Gold. Considering the bad press ATL's been getting lately, is there anything in particular I should know? Carry-ons only...renting from Hertz. Back to NY two days later. Thanks
Old May 5, 2008, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
AA flights depart from the T concourse gates. There's a security checkpoint just to the left/behind AA's check-in positions. Total distance from outside curb, through security, to gate can be less than 200 yards.
Old May 5, 2008, 6:57 am

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by belleNY
Tried search, but nothing found. I have a flight from LGA to ATL next week, my first time ever to ATL. Am Gold. Considering the bad press ATL's been getting lately, is there anything in particular I should know? Carry-ons only...renting from Hertz. Back to NY two days later. Thanks
You will be fine. AA uses T gates, with a separate security screening area (end of North Terminal). The T line is usually shorter than the main screening area, but you can connect airside if you choose to go through the main screening. There is an AC, but not much in the way of food in the immediate area. I don't usually rent a car in ATL, but I'm sure others can comment on that area.
Old May 5, 2008, 7:53 am

Programs: AA - ExPlat 1MM Marriott - Platinum, Hertz - Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by scoow
I don't usually rent a car in ATL, but I'm sure others can comment on that area.
Hertz will be fine. They're quick on both the pickup and the drop off. Look for the 'airport exit' signs are you're leaving the lot unless you're good with taking the scenic route around the terminal.
I've been doing the ATL or GSP commute weekly for the last 6 months.
Old May 5, 2008, 8:14 am

Programs: AA EXP-1MM, SPG Gld, HH Silver, Skymiles, Marriott Silver, Hyatt GP Plat , CO Peon, Hertz 5 Star
ATL is one of my least favorite stations but one that I have to fly into on a regular basis. If you are an AC member, the staff there are great. However, the GAs at ATL are some of the worst in the AA system.
Old May 5, 2008, 9:36 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
The Burger King outlet in the T concourse lets you place your order and pay for it all by yourself, with no human interaction.

The ATL AC has free iced tea.
Old May 5, 2008, 11:04 am

Yes, the AC does have a little better than average for free snacks, but the other dining options in the concourse are pretty slim. I'd eat before going through security.
Old May 5, 2008, 12:09 pm

Programs: AAExPlat HHGold AVLifeMiles
The only other thing I see hasnt been mentioned is that AA is unique in having its own baggage claim area which is in a basement under the main terminal, not up where all the others are. Not very well known if people are picking you up or anything so make sure you tell them you arrive with AA and its a separate area they must search for...
Old May 5, 2008, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA PLT (Lifetime GLD), Hilton Silver, Marriott Silver, AA Dining VIP
Originally Posted by scoow
You will be fine. AA uses T gates, with a separate security screening area (end of North Terminal). The T line is usually shorter than the main screening area, but you can connect airside if you choose to go through the main screening.
My experience is that for elites the Main screening is usually quicker (Monday AM being a possible excpetion...then nothing works), since Elites have their own entrances through the main security area but not at the AA security screening. This is ONLY true if you don't have baggage and already have yoru boarding pass.
Old May 5, 2008, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by almostelite
Yes, the AC does have a little better than average for free snacks, but the other dining options in the concourse are pretty slim. I'd eat before going through security.
If you have extra time there and want more dining options there are a myriad of food choices on the other concourses where Delta does buisness. It's all just a short underground train ride to Concourses A - E.
Old May 5, 2008, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA gold MM, HH gold, SPG gold,
Thanks so much for all the info. This board is always such a great resource. This is our first ATL encounter, but won't be the last--youngest sonofBelle is beginning his grad work at univ of Ga in Athens in August--a new experience for this mostly-yankee family.
Old May 5, 2008, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA 1MM/Gold, Marriott Gold
Not sure about the rest of the GAs, but the one who works the Eagle flights is terrific. Haven't flown mainline out of ATL...

As far as Hertz, the car rental pickup spot is at the far end of the terminal building, past AirTran baggage claim, as far from the T gates as you can get. The car rental area can get really backed up, especially on Friday afternoons.
Old May 5, 2008, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, HHonors-Diamond, Starwood-Platinum, Avis
Not a fan of ATL...

... but AA is the BEST option in ATL, hands down. If you're going to DFW, ORD, LGA, MIA (I forget the other non-stops), AA has the best setup:

- separate security, avoiding the cattle call
- all T gates, no tram needed!
- phenomenal setup: check-in, security, gates, AC all within steps of each other
- separate baggage claim... every other airline has to share in the chaos up in front
- some of the AC AAngels in the biz

I don't know who was able to give AA this setup, but whoever worked this out was really thinking.
Old May 5, 2008, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by MiAAmiNice
If you have extra time there and want more dining options there are a myriad of food choices on the other concourses where Delta does buisness. It's all just a short underground train ride to Concourses A - E.
You can also head over to the DL T gates (take a right out of the AA security and keep going) for more dining options without the train. The selection on the AA/UA side of the T terminal sucks.
Old May 5, 2008, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
ATL's road traffic is pretty bad too, nothing compared to NYC of course, but, on the plus side ATL has a subway that goes right into the airport and hits most of downtown. You did not give much info about what you are trying to do in ATL or if Athens is indeed your final destination, but maybe the subway is the way to go.
Don't miss the Aquarium in Atlanta or the World of Coca-Cola.

Y'all come back now, y'a hear?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.