Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2015, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by metoo
Arriving on AA flight 50 from Dallas to LHR at 6:50 A.M Terminal 3 and connecting Terminal 5 for BA flight at 9:10 A.M during the summer month. Both tickets on one PNR.

Will I be able to make the connection? Also, is there a priority line?
Will I receive my BA boarding pass in Dallas for the BA flight to ARN?
Yes, you will be able to make this connection. Yes there is fast track at T5 flight connections security - it's not always so fast, but it's there.

Yes, you should receive your BA boarding pass in Dallas.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 9:00 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
I did a T5>T3 transfer last week. Arriving into T5. Did not have an onwards BP as the AA app was a total failure.

Got to T3 via airside bus trasnfer, and used my EP/CK card to enter fastrack.

Agent asked for BP, said 'dont have one'. He let me into security, said "get it once you are through".

WHY DO THEY EVEN CHECK BP IF IT ISNT REQUIRED?!?

Anyway, went to AA lounge and they printed one.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Maybe the agent was usually posted to the landside entrance to security, and was in a routine. A boarding pass isn't required to enter security from the transfer point at T3, as you discovered, because the transfer desks are after security.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 11:28 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
WHY DO THEY EVEN CHECK BP IF IT ISNT REQUIRED?!?
Perhaps they could see that you are a connecting pax? Re-issuing of BPs for all sorts of reasons is quite routine.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA Exp, Radisson VIP, Expedia OneKey Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amex Plati
Well I had exactly the MCT of 90 minutes and I almost lived to regret it. AA46 from ORD was about 45 minutes late so that cut my time in half.

BA staff were waiting near the door with an orange express connection wallet with my name and flight on it. It was a longish walk from the arrival gate to the connector bus, which luckily left soon after I got on.

When I got to T5 another agent was waiting and holding an Ipad that showed my flight to AUH and the gate (B37). It was good to know where to go without stopping and looking on the screens.

Priority security slowed me down a bit, and the orange envelope didn't help there, as security doesn't care about it. Luckily my carry on didn't attract any secondary screening.

So I was off and running for the train to B. It helped that I knew the layout of A so that I knew just where to run without figuring out the signs. A train came after a couple of minutes of waiting, but I was dying a slow death while they took several minutes to check and clear the train of arriving passengers.

So finally I got to the B gate and was relieved to find that they still accepted me for the flight. I was pretty winded and collapsed into my J seat. Never has a PDB tasted so good, hehe.

So I was able to make my connection between 3 and 5 in 45 minutes. Being in F on the AA flight definitely helped since I deplaned first. I kind of doubt I would have made it on time from the back of the plane.

I would like to recognize the BA staff for helping speed me along. I know I rage against BA sometimes for their lounge access policies in US airports, but let's give credit where credit is due. I shudder to think of the hassle I would have gone through with my onward travel plans if I didn't make the connection.

Unfortunately my checked bag didn't make it on the flight and had to be delivered a couple of days later. Here also this was well handled by BA and the AUH lost luggage people.

So I dodged a bullet but from now on I'll rethink a barely legal connection time at LHR.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 1:37 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by dylanks
In the wiki it says: "It appears there will be changes to the T3 <--> T5 transfer by or during 2015 Q4. Security may be changing so one is checked in their arrival T3 terminal, and bussed to terminal 5 airside (like checking security at SYD International terminal before one boards the bus to the QF domestic terminal, arriving airside already with no further checkin). It remains to be seen whether this will work both ways, and when it will be implemented."

Is there a source of this news?
Also, any updates on this? I have connections from T3 to T5 in late November, and T5 back to T3 in December. It would be nice if this process has improved since last year, as it was a total cluster at the time.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by bchandler02
Also, any updates on this? I have connections from T3 to T5 in late November, and T5 back to T3 in December. It would be nice if this process has improved since last year, as it was a total cluster at the time.
Been through LHR several times since the summer. They've totally remodeled and re-organized the T3 transfer security and the transfer bus pick-up and drop-off points. However going from T3 to T5 you will still go straight to the bus and clear transfer security at T5 like it's always been, and visa versa on the way home.

Based on the new setup, it doesn't appear there will ever be transfer security at T3 before heading to T5.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Been through LHR several times since the summer. They've totally remodeled and re-organized the T3 transfer security and the transfer bus pick-up and drop-off points. However going from T3 to T5 you will still go straight to the bus and clear transfer security at T5 like it's always been, and visa versa on the way home.

Based on the new setup, it doesn't appear there will ever be transfer security at T3 before heading to T5.
Some improvements to the T5 connections security are in progress. A new escalator is being constructed to give connecting passengers access to the south security channels (at present only the north channels are used). There was some suggestion that this might be reserved for fast track passengers, but frankly I'll believe that when I see it.

Those with fast track may find it quicker to use the elevators at the far end of the T5 connections corridor after the boarding pass check instead of the escalator and then use the largely disused Fast Track near the northern most end of the terminal.

(Those with a chipped EU passport will probably find it faster for now to exit into arrivals via the electronic passport gates and go upstairs to the check in desks. That's what I do and it is usually quicker than fast track connections security.)

I would be surprised if security was moved to T3 (is there even space for it?). It would also require a re-think of the whole way the transfer bus system operates around Heathrow. But I don't have any specific information to disclaim this.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Indeed there have been no substantial changes in the process, only cleaning up of T3 security, if you will. Interestingly this has shortened the walk quite a bit for AA pax, who usually come in at the high numbered gates, while making it longer for those landing on the big A380s. The most interesting innovation in all this is that there is now a corridor just before you enter the "tunnel" leading to the high numbered gates, in the main terminal, marked for Arrivals and Connections. It looks like you can now exit T3 from the departure area to change terminals or go landside with ease (you always could if you asked, I suppose). Given the state of the showers in T5 these days, you could in theory come off an AA flight or BA SH into T3, transfer into T3 departures, shower in the Flagship Lounge, then trolley over to T5 - if you had time to spare, I guess

EDIT: I suppose if you had a 5 hour connection in T5 you could get on the bus to T3, into the FL for a shower, then back to T5
Old Oct 11, 2015, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MarkedMan
It looks like you can now exit T3 from the departure area to change terminals or go landside with ease (you always could if you asked, I suppose).
You could do this before, but it wasn't obvious how to do it unless you knew your way around the terminal without needing to read the signs.

Given the state of the showers in T5 these days, you could in theory come off an AA flight or BA SH into T3, transfer into T3 departures, shower in the Flagship Lounge, then trolley over to T5 - if you had time to spare, I guess

EDIT: I suppose if you had a 5 hour connection in T5 you could get on the bus to T3, into the FL for a shower, then back to T5
Unfortunately, I believe that you won't be allowed into a lounge unless you have a boarding card for the same terminal.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 8:18 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by Calchas
You could do this before, but it wasn't obvious how to do it unless you knew your way around the terminal without needing to read the signs.

Unfortunately, I believe that you won't be allowed into a lounge unless you have a boarding card for the same terminal.
Indeed, now they've put up big bright signs for it

I'd be curious to see AA deny access to a CK/EXP simply on the grounds that their flight is leaving from another terminal. Not exactly stated anywhere in the rules. If anyone tries it, please report.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Indeed, now they've put up big bright signs for it

I'd be curious to see AA deny access to a CK/EXP simply on the grounds that their flight is leaving from another terminal. Not exactly stated anywhere in the rules.
Until recently it was stated in the Heathrow rules. The only reason to be in the wrong terminal is (with permission) if you wanted to buy some overpriced goods not available in your terminal, and lounges were expected to enforce this. However I do know this has been relaxed now for some of the pay-for-entry lounges, but whether all the CIP lounges are allowed or just those who have arranged it is a different matter.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi all, couldn't easily find much info on landside transfers in either the Wiki or last ~100 posts.

I have an upcoming T3 (AA) -> T5 (BA) connection (in Business), with 2h20 layover, arriving a bit after 6am.

I'm thinking of going landside to use the AA Arrivals lounge, as i'm worried about a potential wait for showers at the BA Galleries in T5. I'll only even consider this option if the AA flight arrives on time, and if I can peek into the immigration hall and see that the FastTrack line isn't too long.

I guess my questions are:
1) Should I actually worry about the shower queue at the BA lounge?
2) What is the best way to do the landside T3->T5 transfer? HEX? Is it free? I assume you'd have to pay for the tube.
3) Is this just not recommended in general for some other reason?

Thanks all!
Old Oct 13, 2015, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Hi all, couldn't easily find much info on landside transfers in either the Wiki or last ~100 posts.

I have an upcoming T3 (AA) -> T5 (BA) connection (in Business), with 2h20 layover, arriving a bit after 6am.

I'm thinking of going landside to use the AA Arrivals lounge, as i'm worried about a potential wait for showers at the BA Galleries in T5. I'll only even consider this option if the AA flight arrives on time, and if I can peek into the immigration hall and see that the FastTrack line isn't too long.

I guess my questions are:
1) Should I actually worry about the shower queue at the BA lounge?
2) What is the best way to do the landside T3->T5 transfer? HEX? Is it free? I assume you'd have to pay for the tube.
3) Is this just not recommended in general for some other reason?

Thanks all!
Caution:

When I went through at the end of September the queue at Elemis T5 was 2.5 to 3 hours. They were remodeling, and only had 5 showers (1 always held for Concorde members). I do not know if that is complete.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

NEW LHR / London Heathrow AA T3 &lt;---&gt; BA T5 connection / transfer master thread

Ugh, unbelievable. Maybe I'll pop over to BA board to get more Intel on the shower sitch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.