Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2015, 1:18 am

Programs: EK Blue, EY Guest, AA, QR
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

It's a different set up to T5, T3 doesn't have Ready To Fly, which is a cast iron system which regulates the whole flying and baggage process of T5, instead T3 uses Positive Boarding, with a much lighter touch. You can go through Flight Connection security without a boarding pass and then collect it in the main hall area, though I can see with that timeframe you are not going to be doing that.
Very interesting, thanks

So in other words, once I am at the Flight Connections area of T3 after an airside transfer from T5, I cannot access the border control at T3 ?
Old Aug 25, 2015, 3:35 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Security Checks Longer Than Normal

Don't have any specific insights, other than going through a bit ago. Anecdotally it seems like 30% of bags are pushed through for additional screening. Add 20 minutes to getting through.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by anabolism
What??!!
What possible grounds would he have to deny you entry? Was there something else, maybe you looked especially scruffy or were traveling on a passport from Sudan or Syria?
For non-EU nationals, entry into the UK is a privilege and not a right, and it is for the traveller to prove that he should be admitted and not the border control agent to prove that he should not.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 6:27 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by stifle
For non-EU nationals, entry into the UK is a privilege and not a right, and it is for the traveller to prove that he should be admitted and not the border control agent to prove that he should not.
It's still rather obnoxious; US citizens (which I assume Exec_Plat is) are not normally denied entry to the UK for tourism. I note that I have never had difficulty doing the equivalent in a Schengen country (e.g. 6 hour layover in FRA, explanation to border guard "I want to take the train into the city and back".)
Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:21 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by LonghornDXB
You probably would have been safe had you left the bit about "check it "
Yes, that was it. The way it came off, I was a bit too cavalier and presumptuous.

Originally Posted by anabolism
What??!!
What possible grounds would he have to deny you entry?
Nope. Merican. Middle age business man, computer and rollaboard.

Originally Posted by superweak
It's still rather obnoxious;
He was having a bad day. Ive since learned to emphasize the shopping/lunch/hotel but still not be untruthful.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 12:38 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by stifle
Absolutely! The UK has a most successful immigration policy already; keep all the damned seppos out!

The border agent might be related to the unhappy nurse who assisted at my colonoscopy yesterday; similar points of view, anyway.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by JDiver
Absolutely! The UK has a most successful immigration policy already; keep all the damned seppos out!

The border agent might be related to the unhappy nurse who assisted at my colonoscopy yesterday; similar points of view, anyway.
There is no accounting for morons, but morons in positions of power are rarely worth tweaking.

Back on topic – there is talk of a new transfer channel being opened at T5 south security, so the entrance downstairs would be to the left of non-EU passport check. They've added two or three new lanes to the checkpoint and turfed out the Boots store that was there.

South security was a zoo last Thursday though, and despite the sign insisting north was "five stick-men" busy compared to south's two, the line was backed out behind the BP check gates for south and almost walk-up at north, which was where I chose. South also has three Nude-O-Scope lanes compared to one at north.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 3:46 am

Morning all,

Long time lurker, first time poster!

I have read the sticky and it confirmed what I mostly knew. However I would like to clarify one thing.

I am departing Edinburgh on a BA flight to Heathrow T5 in Economy. I then have a business class flight from T3 to JFK via American Airlines. This was all booked via BA's website if that makes a difference.

As per the normal system, I would get off my flight, follow the purple signs, bus it over to T3 and then go through security again. I have 90mins to achieve all this.

My questions are,
1/ If I have baggage checked in at Edinburgh, this should be a through ticket therefore I don't need to collect bags, is that right?

2/Does having an AA business class ticket get me through fast track security. I read the info on fasttrack and it say BA business UK, which isn't exactly what I have!

3/Could I follow the normal process, so bus it over to T3, and make my way to the AA premium check in desk and go through that way (looks nicer and have a fast security lane). Being a business class ticket holder this will allow me to use this service. This should be quicker but I am wary of going outwith the "normal" system as detailed on Heathrow's connections pdf.

Any other tips!
Old Sep 24, 2015, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by craig51
1/ If I have baggage checked in at Edinburgh, this should be a through ticket therefore I don't need to collect bags, is that right?
Correct, you won't collect bags at LHR.

2/Does having an AA business class ticket get me through fast track security. I read the info on fasttrack and it say BA business UK, which isn't exactly what I have!
When you check in with BA, they should issue your boarding pass for your AA flights which will show that you have a business class. That is all you will need to access Fast Track at T3 connections.

3/Could I follow the normal process, so bus it over to T3, and make my way to the AA premium check in desk and go through that way (looks nicer and have a fast security lane). Being a business class ticket holder this will allow me to use this service. This should be quicker but I am wary of going outwith the "normal" system as detailed on Heathrow's connections pdf.
I guess you could exit security and make your way over to T3 landside, but there shouldn't be any need as I said above your boarding pass showing you in business class on your AA flight will get you access to fast track at T3 connections.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 12:25 pm

Thank you very much, much appreciated.

I plan to hopefully only have carry on, so won't need to check in at Edinburgh airport in person, just do it online. However the wife may change her mind so we will probably end up with check in baggage.

Cheers.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by craig51
Thank you very much, much appreciated.

I plan to hopefully only have carry on, so won't need to check in at Edinburgh airport in person, just do it online. However the wife may change her mind so we will probably end up with check in baggage.

Cheers.
Even if, for some reason BA can't issue your AA boarding passes, have a copy of your itinerary showing the business class AA flights and you will be able to use connections (and fast track). You will then stop at the AA desks and get your AA boarding passes. May be best to stop there anyways, even if BA can issue the boarding passes, and do the passport inspection and answer the security questions.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 3:15 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
In the wiki it says: "It appears there will be changes to the T3 <--> T5 transfer by or during 2015 Q4. Security may be changing so one is checked in their arrival T3 terminal, and bussed to terminal 5 airside (like checking security at SYD International terminal before one boards the bus to the QF domestic terminal, arriving airside already with no further checkin). It remains to be seen whether this will work both ways, and when it will be implemented."

Is there a source of this news?
Old Sep 25, 2015, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Glad recent activity has highlighted this useful Thread, as I've got my first ever T3>T5 transfer in January ... AA LAX-LHR (T3) connecting to BA LHR-DUB (T5).

Just over 2 hours between the flights, so I doubt popping land-side for a quick cigarette is going to be an option
Old Sep 25, 2015, 11:44 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by wrp96
Even if, for some reason BA can't issue your AA boarding passes, have a copy of your itinerary showing the business class AA flights and you will be able to use connections (and fast track). You will then stop at the AA desks and get your AA boarding passes. May be best to stop there anyways, even if BA can issue the boarding passes, and do the passport inspection and answer the security questions.
Or, if there is a line at the AA desk, make your way to the T3 Admirals Club, and after formalities, head over to either the BA Galleries Club Lounge or the CX Business Lounge .
Old Sep 29, 2015, 7:17 am

Arriving on AA flight 50 from Dallas to LHR at 6:50 A.M Terminal 3 and connecting Terminal 5 for BA flight at 9:10 A.M during the summer month. Both tickets on one PNR.

Will I be able to make the connection? Also, is there a priority line?
Will I receive my BA boarding pass in Dallas for the BA flight to ARN?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.