Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Old Jun 30, 08, 11:46 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP (through 2018, anyway, then...?)
Originally Posted by bdemaria View Post
The second machine is still there, past the regular Xray - but not everyone has to go thru it. However if you are assigned that line then the shoes definitely have to come off. Some days everyone has to go thru, other days only a few people, and about 6 weeks ago - it was closed completely.
OK, very variable, it seems. When we were there, all lines were funneled through that machine- and we were coming from FastTrack.

Cheers.
Old Jun 30, 08, 1:04 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy View Post
...Perhaps the origination drill differs from the connection drill.
The connecting passengers are directed upsairs and merge into the security line for the departing passengers.
Old Jun 30, 08, 1:09 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp View Post
OK, very variable, it seems. When we were there, all lines were funneled through that machine- and we were coming from FastTrack.

Cheers.
I'm one for seven in getting caught up in the silly shoe x-ray line and it's always been open for me (tip: stick the far right or left line and walk purposefully once you pass the passport check). I guess that kind of makes up for being seven for seven on the damn bag sizer police.
Old Aug 10, 08, 1:55 pm
EdV

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, AA ExPlat, LT Gold
Best use of time?

Hey, need a little help on upcoming itinerary:

10/2 AA108 BOS-LHR arrives 0650. BA766 LHR-OSL dept 1245
I would assume this will be a T3 --> T5 transfer (based on flight schedules and posts here) right? Being Plat, AC member on Y ticket what would be my best use of this time? Just head straight to T5 and the Terrace lounge? I won't be able to access the AC in T3 correct? Also, is the routing really as simple as off AA metal, transfer bus to T5 and through security there?

10/7 BA763 OSL-LHR arrives 1315. AA155 LHR-BOS dept 1805
Guessing this will basically be a reverse of the above? Again, what would be best use of my time? Would I only be able to access the AC in T3 here? Or could I access the BA arrivals lounge and is it worth it?

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 10, 08, 3:14 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by EdV View Post
Hey, need a little help on upcoming itinerary:

10/2 AA108 BOS-LHR arrives 0650. BA766 LHR-OSL dept 1245
I would assume this will be a T3 --> T5 transfer (based on flight schedules and posts here) right? Being Plat, AC member on Y ticket what would be my best use of this time? Just head straight to T5 and the Terrace lounge? I won't be able to access the AC in T3 correct? Also, is the routing really as simple as off AA metal, transfer bus to T5 and through security there?
PLT status gets you into BA lounges. Skip all the AA lounges and head directly for T5. Personally I like to transfer landside, but that's just me.

At T5 security they'll check that your carryon fits in their sizer. As a PLT you'll be eligible for the premium security, but IME the main economy security is actually faster.

Once you're past security, go for the South Lounge Complex at T5 and have a shower at the Elemis Travel Spa. Since you have plenty of time, you can also check out the North Lounge as well ... but the South Lounge is much less crowded.

10/7 BA763 OSL-LHR arrives 1315. AA155 LHR-BOS dept 1805
Guessing this will basically be a reverse of the above? Again, what would be best use of my time? Would I only be able to access the AC in T3 here? Or could I access the BA arrivals lounge and is it worth it?
You will NOT be able to access the BA arrivals lounge. Best bet is to transfer to T3 (either airside or landside, your choice) and visit the Cathay Pacific business class lounge. PLT status (OW Sapphire) gets you in. Since you have plenty of time you can lounge-hop if you wish, just to say you've been in the various OW lounges in T3.

Note that your AA PLT status also gets you into the BA lounge at OSL.
Old Aug 10, 08, 3:49 pm
EdV

Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy View Post
As a PLT you'll be eligible for the premium security, but IME the main economy security is actually faster.
What do you mean by this exactly? I'm guessing there's a First/Biz security line: is that what you mean?

Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
Once you're past security, go for the South Lounge Complex at T5 and have a shower at the Elemis Travel Spa.
Are you sure as a Plat only I'd be able to access this lounge. BA.com states this for access to Elemis Travel Spas:

When you fly longhaul on British Airways in First, Club World, or if you are an Executive Club Gold member, you can use the exclusive facilities of the Elemis Travel Spas.

Where as for Terrace Lounge specifically it states:
Terraces Lounges are a haven away from the busy airport, exclusively for our premium cabin travellers and Gold and Silver Executive Club members

I'm guessing though from THIS PAGE that the access policies are the same at Galleries, Terraces and Elemis Spas? Thanks for the help and the tips on the other OW lounges. That sounds like a plan to me. Oh and about OSL: BA.com says it's a 3rd party lounge but you think I should still get in?
Old Aug 11, 08, 2:37 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by EdV View Post
What do you mean by this exactly? I'm guessing there's a First/Biz security line: is that what you mean?
My last two trips through LHR T-5 (in June & July), I found that the First/Biz security line was a lot slower than the main line(s). Several First/Biz pax jumped the ropes and joined the regular lines. Perhaps it depends on time of day.
Are you sure as a Plat only I'd be able to access this lounge. BA.com states this for access to Elemis Travel Spas:
Yes I'm sure. Once you enter the south Lounge complex at LHR T-5, go to the Travel Spa desk and ask for a shower.
Oh and about OSL: BA.com says it's a 3rd party lounge but you think I should still get in?
Yes, you're OW Sapphire on an international OW itin, so you get in.
Old Aug 11, 08, 7:06 am
EdV

Okay, SquareDanceGuy - thanks for the great help!
Old Aug 11, 08, 8:58 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, The Suggestion Box and Talkboard Topics

Programs: AA EXP; HH Life <>; SPG Gold; Maître-plongeur des Muccis
If one is unsure of which terminals they will use at Heathrow, they can use the "Which Terminal" tool here.

For oneworld Sapphire or Emerald, BA at LHR follows the oneworld protocols for admissions in all of its lounges AFAIK, excepting the Concorde Lounge - only for BA First longhaul travellers.

If one is somewhat pressed for time, the information desks can inform one which gates the scheduled flight is likely to depart from (not the exact gate until close to boarding time - but which area gate is likely to be used) so one can proceed to the Galleries lounge closest to the departure gate.
Old Aug 11, 08, 10:20 am

Programs: UA 1K (MR Gld; Hertz 5*), AA 2MM, SPG LT GLD, GP Plt, Mets fan.
Originally Posted by brp View Post
When we were last through T3 (end of May) they had a separate shoe x-ray machine after the regular x-ray. No shoes off at the main checkpoint, and then ALL shoes off onto the conveyor belt at the second machine. Not sure if this was made permanent (looked pretty permanent), or is at other terminals, though.

Cheers.
On a T1-T3 via FCC last week, it was "shoe's off". No separate machine set up there. Maybe the only benefit to going via FCC?
Old Aug 13, 08, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
LHR AA-BA transfer: safer not to thru-check baggage?

I've got a 3.5hr connection from an AA arrival at LHR to a BA onward flight. Would it be prudent for me to check my luggage to LHR, retrieve it, and HEX over to t5? I've heard mixed messages about LHR getting better at the baggage thing. Thanks.
Old Aug 13, 08, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat + 1.98 MM
Originally Posted by $1500forGLD View Post
I've got a 3.5hr connection from an AA arrival at LHR to a BA onward flight. Would it be prudent for me to check my luggage to LHR, retrieve it, and HEX over to t5? I've heard mixed messages about LHR getting better at the baggage thing. Thanks.
There are probably a whole bunch of questions. But I would check it through. If you have any delays (um, yup) you'll be missing your connection and they can get the bags to you on the next flight delivered to your hotel. Otherwise not sure what happens if you miss your connection because you wanted to handle your luggage yourself.

Don't forget you'll probably have to go through passport control/customs too.
Old Aug 13, 08, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
I guess I'm wondering whether the problems at LHR are just delays versus losing things entirely.

Separate question -- if I decided to check my bags all the way through, is it still faster to transfer by HEX given that I can do fast-track customs? I've connected from t1 to t3 air-side before, and that has taken me 45 mins.
Old Aug 13, 08, 8:19 pm

I am 0 for 1 with baggage through LHR. Terminal 5 departure on BA. AA inbound. I did not get my bag delivered for three days. Do not check your bag. I have had only one experience but it was miserable.
Old Aug 13, 08, 8:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, The Suggestion Box and Talkboard Topics

Programs: AA EXP; HH Life <>; SPG Gold; Maître-plongeur des Muccis
In my recent experience, the whole Terminal 5 issue has been much maligned since they fixed the problems (and fired the responsible executive.) With 3.5 hours I would check my baggage if I had baggage to check - and I was required to do that in LHR T5, as they are very strict about carryons.

Outbound, our bags made it to OTP without problem, and the dozen or two people I spoke to who traveled through T5 had the same experience. It seems to be over... and I suspect the odds are better than, say, a transfer with checked bags at JFK, LAX or ORD.

As to what is faster, we arrived T3, used Flight Connections and found ourselves in T5 heading to the Galleries lounge within 30 minutes. AFAIK, HEX has also reduced trains to T5.

You might also want to browse this thread in the BAEC Forum.

Search this Thread