Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2012, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by supergrandslam
I will fly JFK-LHR-FRA in a few days.
JFK-LHR is on AA100 and LHR-FRA is on AA6350(BA906).
I just found BA906/AA6350 cancelled on May 1st and 3rd.
I don't know the reason why, maybe because its load factor is just too low???

Flight status for BA906 was "scheduled" when AA100 left JFK yesterday.
So I may not know if BA906 is cancelled or not until I arrive at LHR.

Next BA flight to FRA is 2hr30min later. So I may want to change earlier flight on LH if my BA906 is also cancelled.

Where should I go in T3(or T5) to negotiate this?
Is there AA connecting counter in T3?
I did transfer in LHR several times before but I didn't find AA counter in T3 before....

It is BA's fault if BA906 is cancelled.
I should negotiate this with BA instead of AA?
If so, where should I go?
Follow the transfer route to T5 and talk to BA, who operates your flight, at the transfer desk. If it was cancelled without very good cause you're owed €250 in IDB compensation.
Old May 23, 2012, 9:14 am

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
BA has begun assigning BA flight numbers to BMI flights. Example: "BA" flights from LHR to Basle, Nice and Vienna now operate from both T5 and T1, depending on whether it's a BMI flight or a legacy BA flight. Beware, this adds a new complexity when connecting at LHR.
Old May 24, 2012, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
As a general rule flights BA5xxx and BA 8xxx from LHR will be terminal 1.
Old May 28, 2012, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT 2.6MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Connect to another international at LHR

I'll preface this post by saying that I'm not a frequent true international flyer...90% of my travel is pure domestic, with the other 10% normally being Canada.

In a few weeks I'm going to be connecting through LHR to Hamburg, Germany. All of my trips to LHR in the past have been either in London or to other UK destinations with long layovers, so at those times I cleared customs at LHR and used the AA arrivals lounge to shower before going airside at T5. For this trip, I assume I'll use the purple "connections" sign when I get off the plane. Does this clear UK customs? I assume not...Where does that lead me and will I still be able to use the BA lounge when I get to T5, or do I end up in some other kind of airside area?
Old May 28, 2012, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by akarneboge
I'll preface this post by saying that I'm not a frequent true international flyer...90% of my travel is pure domestic, with the other 10% normally being Canada.

In a few weeks I'm
es that lead me and will I still be able to use the BA lounge when I get to T5, or do I end up in some other kind of airside area?
Yup. Just follow the connecting flight signs. You'll take a fun and exciting bus ride. You will not clear immigration or customs but you will go through another security check. CNX of less than 1.5 hours are not recommended. You can shower at the Galleries Lounge in T5. Enjoy, its not as bad as some might have you believe.

Checked bags will magically appear in HAM. Well, maybe. If BA are handling them, one never knows.

Last edited by bbkenney; May 28, 2012 at 12:45 pm Reason: Added baggage part
Old May 28, 2012, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
If you have a long layover you can still clear customs, use the AA arrivals lounge, enjoy some (kind of) fresh air, and then take the HEX for free to T5. The trains run every 15 minutes and take about 4-5 minutes tops.

I avoid using Flight Connections whenever I can. You still have to clear security again, so I prefer to avoid the line for the shuttle bus, and the long winding ride, and instead bank on the added selection of lines landside at T5 and the relative comfort of the HEX for my inter-terminal journey.

Many will disagree but honestly if you added up the additional time required for the 20 to 30 times a year I do this I doubt it would be more than a few minutes in total. For those few minutes I avoid the hassle and confining weirdness of Flight Connections.
Old May 28, 2012, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT 2.6MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by bbkenney
You can shower at the Galleries Lounge in T5. Enjoy, its not as bad as some might have you believe.

Checked bags will magically appear in HAM. Well, maybe. If BA are handling them, one never knows.
Yeah, the few connections I've had in LHR to Manchester and others have been no problem. Most people tell me LHR is hell. I'll agree that T3 is a dump except for the lounges, but the sapphire galleries lounge (I was only PLT the past few times connecting) was quite nice. The first galleries departures lounge on my last trip there in April was very nice, I thought. Much nicer than the AA lounge.

Thanks for your help, and my fingers will be crossed on the bags! BA hasn't screwed it up yet for me.
Old May 28, 2012, 12:57 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

The airside transfer process is pretty simple, as follows

__________________________________________________ _________
On leaving the aircraft, follow the purple signs for Flight Connections.
Take the connections bus to Terminal 5
Ready to fly check
Security screening
Follow signs for BA Galleries South

Your baggage will clear Immigration and Customs after you arrive in HAM.

If you have permission to enter the UK, you have the option of clearing immigration at T3 Arrivals, then use the AA Arrivals lounge. Once you're done, just take the Heathrow express over to T5. You will need to arrive at T5 security no later than 35 minutes before departure to ensure you're cleared as "Ready to fly"
Old May 28, 2012, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by DillMan
If you have a long layover you can still clear customs, use the AA arrivals lounge, enjoy some (kind of) fresh air, and then take the HEX for free to T5. The trains run every 15 minutes and take about 4-5 minutes tops.

I avoid using Flight Connections whenever I can. You still have to clear security again, so I prefer to avoid the line for the shuttle bus, and the long winding ride, and instead bank on the added selection of lines landside at T5 and the relative comfort of the HEX for my inter-terminal journey.

Many will disagree but honestly if you added up the additional time required for the 20 to 30 times a year I do this I doubt it would be more than a few minutes in total. For those few minutes I avoid the hassle and confining weirdness of Flight Connections.
What do you tell UK customs?
Old May 28, 2012, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Originally Posted by akarneboge
What do you tell UK customs?
The truth - that you are in transit and wish to use the landside lounge (or take the train in to the city for a few minutes, or play Super Car Racer in the arrivals lounge, or run a few laps, or whatever the truth is).

When changing time zones a lot (especially back-to-back as many of my trips dictate) I do much better with some sunshine and fresh air in the morning. I've never, ever, been questioned to the point of having to explain this. They hardly ever even look up.

I'm sure things might be different for someone with a rarer passport - e.g. not a US/EU/Canadian/etc passport.
Old May 28, 2012, 3:04 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by DillMan

One thing I would point out is that the news here for the last couple of weeks has been reporting on horrendous queues at LHR passport control, especially for non-EU citizens. If you pop your head into the passport control hall and see a madhouse, it may be worth backtracking to Flight Connections and just taking the bus. Especially if you're here around the Olympics, when it will be a bit crazier than normal.
Old May 28, 2012, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
I recently did the T3 to T5 connection, but hadn't bothered to get the Fast Track thing that the FA offered because I didn't realize it would be needed for a connection. Then at T5, I was unable to talk my way past the Fast Track guard with just my EXP/Emerald card.

Does Emerald status really not work for FT at T5, or is it just that they failed to include it on the sign and some guards don't know what it is?

Also, would the FT card from AA have worked at T5, or does it only work at T3 arrivals?
Old May 28, 2012, 3:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ualvet
I recently did the T3 to T5 connection, but hadn't bothered to get the Fast Track thing that the FA offered because I didn't realize it would be needed for a connection. Then at T5, I was unable to talk my way past the Fast Track guard with just my EXP/Emerald card.

Does Emerald status really not work for FT at T5, or is it just that they failed to include it on the sign and some guards don't know what it is?

Also, would the FT card from AA have worked at T5, or does it only work at T3 arrivals?
The fast track card is only for immigration queue on arrival at T3

The fast track queue at connections at T5 is only for 1st and business class passengers iirc
Old May 28, 2012, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The fast track card is only for immigration queue on arrival at T3

The fast track queue at connections at T5 is only for 1st and business class passengers iirc
Does business class on AA work, or is it only for BA departures at T5 as the sign indicates? I'm actually not sure I tried showing my boarding pass.
Old May 28, 2012, 4:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ualvet
Does business class on AA work, or is it only for BA departures at T5 as the sign indicates? I'm actually not sure I tried showing my boarding pass.
My understanding is that it is for those departing in 1st/business class. That you arrived in business class is irrelevent to your departing benefits. You could not be departing on AA from T5 ( other than on a codeshare flight , which I think would count if operated by BA )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.