Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Old Nov 24, 2011, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by SAN-man
I would exit both times and take the LHR express. I find the T3-T5 bus transfer annoying. The bus is always crowded, seems to careen around corners (of which here are many) at high speed, and generally seems to run multiple loops almost through the same parts of the tarmac. Plus you need to go through security again anyhow.

I exaggerate, but the LHR express is very easy. Exit at T3, walk down to the bus, and go to T5. Once inside T5, go to the far right, towards BA's J/F checkin. You will want to enter security there; even if not yet confirmed F/J you are still allowed to go in here and it's much quicker.

On the way back, I would repeat the process. when you pop out at T3, veer right and go to Flagship Checkin. They should be able to help you with your evip there, and you can then smoke and head inside at your leisure.

If you have a tight connection it doesn't make sense to do any of this, but since you have 3 hours and your goal is to actually end up outside the airport both ways, I think this is the best way to do it.
are there fast-track security lanes at t5 for AA PLT on a BA codeshare? they seem to just guide people down the narrow aisle along the wall to any of the open security lanes on the right. also, do you have to check in at aa connections desk on the return if you have ba-printed boarding passes? everytime i've done it, they just rip up my boarding passes and hand me aa-printed ones (and put the sticker on my passport)
Old Nov 24, 2011, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by footballfanatic
are there fast-track security lanes at t5 for AA PLT on a BA codeshare? they seem to just guide people down the narrow aisle along the wall to any of the open security lanes on the right. also, do you have to check in at aa connections desk on the return if you have ba-printed boarding passes? everytime i've done it, they just rip up my boarding passes and hand me aa-printed ones (and put the sticker on my passport)
Sort of. There are lanes designated as fast-track, which as a oneworld sapphire you should get access to, but they are not especially fast.

Can't say whether you need to see the AA connections desk; why don't you ask next time?
Old Nov 24, 2011, 11:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Originally Posted by stifle
Originally Posted by footballfanatic
Sort of. There are lanes designated as fast-track, which as a oneworld sapphire you should get access to, but they are not especially fast.

Can't say whether you need to see the AA connections desk; why don't you ask next time?
I have been told by AA personnel in London while connecting T5 to an AA flight in T3 that I should skip the connections desk and get my new boarding pass with the sticker in the AA lounge in T3. I have since done that multiple times. But I believe you have to do one or the other.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 1:24 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K

Non-BA oneworld elites do not get FastTrack access at LHR T5 if flying in Y.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
MAD-LHR-ORD

Hi all
I've posted about an award ticket involving IB/BA for my MIL, but have some T3-T5 connection questions...

The flight is initially SVQ (Sevilla) to MAD, with IB.
Then MAD-LHR with IB (albeit operated by BA), in Business Plus; even if operated by BA, I assume it's a 2-class plane. This arrives in T3.
Then she must go to T5 for LHR-ORD with BA in F. Total 2 hr layover.

Will IB in SVQ issue the BP for MAD-LHR and the BA BP for LHR-ORD?

Will she have to go through security and/or passport control in T5? If so, will IB give her fast track pass or how does she get it? I can't imagine IB having a T5 security fast track pass on the plane.

I initially assumed that it was just a terminal connection, like when I've flown FCO-FRA-SFO and didn't need to pass security at FRA. I'm trying to help give info to make the flying experience easy (she's 2MM AA lifer but last flew internationally in 2006).
Old Nov 25, 2011, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by BrewerSEA
Non-BA oneworld elites do not get FastTrack access at LHR T5 if flying in Y.
Thanks for the correction. As I said, it seems unlikely to matter
Originally Posted by gaobest
Hi all
I've posted about an award ticket involving IB/BA for my MIL, but have some T3-T5 connection questions...

The flight is initially SVQ (Sevilla) to MAD, with IB.
Then MAD-LHR with IB (albeit operated by BA), in Business Plus; even if operated by BA, I assume it's a 2-class plane. This arrives in T3.
Then she must go to T5 for LHR-ORD with BA in F. Total 2 hr layover.

Will IB in SVQ issue the BP for MAD-LHR and the BA BP for LHR-ORD?

Will she have to go through security and/or passport control in T5? If so, will IB give her fast track pass or how does she get it? I can't imagine IB having a T5 security fast track pass on the plane.

I initially assumed that it was just a terminal connection, like when I've flown FCO-FRA-SFO and didn't need to pass security at FRA. I'm trying to help give info to make the flying experience easy (she's 2MM AA lifer but last flew internationally in 2006).
IB should issue all three boarding passes in SVQ. Whether it will or not is anybody's guess. If I were your MIL, I would OLCI for the MAD-LHR and LHR-ORD before getting to SVQ. She will be in Club Europe for the MAD-LHR segment.

I am assuming for now that you're correct in saying the flight will arrive at terminal 3. BA metal flights from MAD now go to and from terminal 5, though, so you may wish to double-check.

She will have to clear security, but not passport control, at LHR (because the UK doesn't trust any other country's security). By following the purple signs once she deplanes at T3, she will be led to an airside transit bus to get to T5. Fast-track at LHR is normally done by a notation on your boarding pass rather than a voucher, and if she OLCIs then the notation will appear on her LHR-ORD boarding pass). I can't remember whether there is a fast-track option at transit security.

Once she's airside at LHR T5, she should then make her way to the Concorde Room
Old Nov 25, 2011, 3:51 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Fast-track at LHR is normally done by a notation on your boarding pass rather than a voucher, and if she OLCIs then the notation will appear on her LHR-ORD boarding pass).
I've used the fast track lane @T5 a few times.

I do not remember seeing any notation on my BA BPs. They just checked whether I was in business or not.

One time, I was traveling in Y (LHR-Berlin) but I had seat 4A that is usually a Club Europe seat but since BA moves its divider to accommodate more Y pax and less CE pax, I was lucky to grab that seat when I checked in online.

The regular lines look horribly long, so I decided to try to use the fast track lane using the OW Sapphire status (which I know does not really help, but I decided to try anyway). I got there and asked "Can I use this lane?". She saw the 4A on my boarding pass and said "Yes, you are in business!!" and let me go through. Same thing upstairs.

Last edited by carlosdca; Nov 25, 2011 at 3:59 am
Old Nov 27, 2011, 7:05 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
IRIS was still going on the 5th of November.
The IRIS enrollment office in T5 has a sign saying "IRIS is closed until further notice," and a couple of UK immigration officers who saw us reading it, and told us "IRIS is shut down." Slow, massive, endless lines for us, I suppose.

Thanks for the correction. As I said, it seems unlikely to matter
Sometimes, the FasTrak security lines are just as bad as the regular, but often they're better. I've seen them turn away OneWorld elites and people who arrived on AA in J, but whose BA connection was in Y.

She will have to clear security, but not passport control, at LHR (because the UK doesn't trust any other country's security).
Is there an airport where intl-intl connections don't have to go through security?

By following the purple signs once she deplanes at T3, she will be led to an airside transit bus to get to T5. Fast-track at LHR is normally done by a notation on your boarding pass rather than a voucher, and if she OLCIs then the notation will appear on her LHR-ORD boarding pass). I can't remember whether there is a fast-track option at transit security.

Once she's airside at LHR T5, she should then make her way to the Concorde Room
Yes, there is FasTrak sBP scanning (downstairs) and also security (upstairs) at T5. Note that, after clearing security, turn right and you'll walk into the CCR at the far end. J and F lounges are in the same space as the CCR, but to get in to them you must go down and then back up. The CCR has its own entrance, just past the BA elite security area.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 8:13 am

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
Does anyone know if we can check our bags all the way from PRG to ORD, with a 22 hour layover at LHR (BA/AA), we want to get downtown as quickly as possible without having to take the time to drop our bags at the hotel? Another choice might be to carry on (booked F) then leave the bags in either BA or AA lounge but I assume neither would allow overnight storage.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by kmandrew
Does anyone know if we can check our bags all the way from PRG to ORD, with a 22 hour layover at LHR (BA/AA), we want to get downtown as quickly as possible without having to take the time to drop our bags at the hotel? Another choice might be to carry on (booked F) then leave the bags in either BA or AA lounge but I assume neither would allow overnight storage.
You should be able to check your bags through, since the 22 hours is technically a connection not a stop-off. But, with that much time, if it was me, I'd check-in to a hotel, then visit London and sleep (with the order depending on the schedule).
Old Nov 27, 2011, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by anabolism

Is there an airport where intl-intl connections don't have to go through security?
Off the top of my head, CMB. I bet there are a couple other examples though.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 10:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by BrewerSEA
Off the top of my head, CMB. I bet there are a couple other examples though.
Sri Lanka? When I was there there about 6 years ago they I had to go through 2 or maybe 3 security screenings when departing. It was the most security i have ever seen. And none on connections?
Old Nov 27, 2011, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The IRIS enrollment office in T5 has a sign saying "IRIS is closed until further notice," and a couple of UK immigration officers who saw us reading it, and told us "IRIS is shut down." Slow, massive, endless lines for us, I suppose.

AMS, FRA, and CDG, to name three, except when coming from or going to a non-Schengen country. Also at DUB if arriving at and departing from the 200-series gates.
Yes, there is FasTrak sBP scanning (downstairs) and also security (upstairs) at T5. Note that, after clearing security, turn right and you'll walk into the CCR at the far end. J and F lounges are in the same space as the CCR, but to get in to them you must go down and then back up. The CCR has its own entrance, just past the BA elite security area.
This is true if originating at LHR. However, the transit security checkpoint is a different one to the one you're thinking of.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Sri Lanka? When I was there there about 6 years ago they I had to go through 2 or maybe 3 security screenings when departing. It was the most security i have ever seen. And none on connections?
Sri Lanka is much safer now than 6 years ago, so not surprising. I definitely did not have to go through any WTMD or have my bp checked at any point before the GA as I was boarding the plane when I did BKK-CMB-DXB last month.

AMS, FRA, and CDG, to name three, except when coming from or going to a non-Schengen country. Also at DUB if arriving at and departing from the 200-series gates.
But that's part of the point of the Schengen area isn't it? Elimination of border controls?
Old Nov 27, 2011, 12:44 pm

This is true if originating at LHR. However, the transit security checkpoint is a different one to the one you're thinking of.
If you're connecting from one Schengen-country to another, it's not really an intl-intl connections, since Schengen eliminates usual border formalities internally.

As for LHR, I'm talking specifically about transit. E.g., arrive T3, take bus to T5, go through BP scanning (downstairs), go through security (upstairs). I'm not sure it's much different if one originates at LHR and departs from T5 (last time I did that I was flying out BA F, so used the BA F check-in and security area, which is right next to lounges).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.