Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2009, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HYATT DIA
T3-T5 Duty Free/Check Bag Q

I have read the thread and I just want to confirm:

I am arriving MIA-LHR on AA in T3 connecting to CDG in T5 on BA.

I was planning on having some duty free so I want to check my bag in LHR to CDG - will that be easy/complicated?

This is my 1st time connecting in LHR since PanAm!
Thanks for the advice!
Old Dec 22, 2009, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by JAFU007
I have read the thread and I just want to confirm:

I am arriving MIA-LHR on AA in T3 connecting to CDG in T5 on BA.

I was planning on having some duty free so I want to check my bag in LHR to CDG - will that be easy/complicated?

This is my 1st time connecting in LHR since PanAm!
Thanks for the advice!

Are you planning on picking up your luggage in LHR and then re-check in for CDG? Or do you want to drop a bag at LHR? If the latter, it won't be an issue - simply transit to T5 and before you go through security, you will see the "Transiting Passenger" BA counter - where you can drop a bag.

Picking up the bag at LHR and then re-checking it will take a lot of time/added problems b/c it will require going landside, etc...
Old Dec 29, 2009, 6:09 pm

its 3 and 3

just verified with AA and BA that they are both in T3.

thanks for the help guys!
Old Dec 29, 2009, 7:49 pm

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
Originally Posted by magicspot
just verified with AA and BA that they are both in T3.

thanks for the help guys!
Only certain BA flights are in T3 -- Australia, Singapore Madrid and Helsinki (I think.

Greg
Old Dec 29, 2009, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA Plt 2MM
Originally Posted by GregL
Only certain BA flights are in T3 -- Australia, Singapore Madrid and Helsinki (I think).
Actually, quite a few more now. See the LHR Which Terminal? page, as well as this thread.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 8:17 pm

I'm thinking of flying JFK-LHR-ATH. JFK-LHR is AA100 arriving T3 at 6:25a and LHR-ATH is BA640 departing T5 at 8:00a.

It's listed on AA's web site, but is 1:35 a legal and sensible connection?
Old Dec 29, 2009, 11:31 pm

Programs: AA Plt 2MM
Originally Posted by richarddd
I'm thinking of flying JFK-LHR-ATH. JFK-LHR is AA100 arriving T3 at 6:25a and LHR-ATH is BA640 departing T5 at 8:00a.

It's listed on AA's web site, but is 1:35 a legal and sensible connection?
That's really going to be a squeaker. On the T3-T5 Connection page on the Heathrow web site, it's listed as a 120 minute connection.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 2:02 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Originally Posted by resnick
That's really going to be a squeaker. On the T3-T5 Connection page on the Heathrow web site, it's listed as a 120 minute connection.
As shown on the FT wiki, MCT between T5 and T3 is 90 minutes.

It was originally 120 min, but was reduced to 90 min last year. (It is disgraceful that the BAA site has not deleted the incorrect page.)

90 min should be fine unless the AA flight is delayed, in which case you would be transferred to a later BA flight (subject to availability).
Old Dec 30, 2009, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by nbevan
90 min should be fine unless the AA flight is delayed, in which case you would be transferred to a later BA flight (subject to availability).
Flightstats lists the JFK-LHR flight as delayed 50% of the time, with an average delay of 36 minutes. BA has a 12:35p flight LHR-ATH, so it wouldn't be the worst if we missed the 8:00, especially since the main alternative has a 180 minute connect time (short term availability seems good). We'd be traveling in business.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 3:21 pm

oneworld Emerald flying BA at LHR

Hello:
I have AA EXP/oneworld Emerald status.

I will fly ticketed AA roundtrip MIA-DXB via LHR.
Have not connected at LHR in a while, hence my posting.

The AA legs (MIA-LHR) + (LHR-MIA) are upgraded using eVIPs.
The codeshare BA legs (LHR-DXB) + (DXB-LHR) are economy -world traveller class.

Questions:
1) Outbound, I have 2hr 35mn connection time - is this enough?
LHR website currently shows 120 mins, yet it's now down to 90 mins.

*Transfer drill: Deplane at T3, follow purple FLIGHT CONNECTIONS signs to the shuttle for T5, take the lift, walk purposefully, don't make eye contact w/ carryon dragons, undergo security*

2) As oneworld Emerald, may I still use FastTrack security line at T5, even though I'm ticketed BA world traveller/econ to DXB?

3) AA at MIA will issue both boarding passes.
Will I need a BA boarding pass for the DXB flight to replace the AA-issued one?

4) Is there a way to upgrade the BA legs upon arrival at LHR?
I checked on this via AA EXP agent; net-net, AA re-tickets at cost of full J class tix. Too rich for me.

5) Luggage: 21" wheeled carryon + 17" wheeled rolling tote.
I'm very petite, and the 21"carryon always looks huge next to me; twice (MAD and MIA), I was made to check it even though it is w/in regulations.
So the 21" will be checked through to DXB.
Will carryon only 17" + camera bag.

6) LHR T5 lounge access:
Do oneworld Emerald still get access to T5 lounges (GalleriesFirst, GalleriesClubSouth)? It seems YMMV?
I printed the oneworld Lounge Access page to bring with me, just in case.
But what really happens at T5?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
1) 2hr 35mins is plenty of time
2) IME fast track security at LHR T5 is a joke, sometimes longer than the regular lines, I usually pick the shortest looking line and go with it...
3) Your AA BP's will be fine for the entire trip over
4) Pay for it
5) Not sure the question
6) Just show your EXP card and BP, you'll have no problems getting into the Galleries F lounge
Old Jan 26, 2010, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP
1. Yes, you should have plenty of time to make your connection. I've made the T3-T5 connection in less than an hour almost everytime.

2. I haven't tried using the FastTrack line as all the other lines have been fairly short and the sign only says BA Gold or whatever, nothing about OneWorld Emeralds being able to use the line.

3. The AA issued boarding pass will be fine for your flight to DXB.

6. Once you go through security make a right and go to the (I think?) South Galleries Lounge and you'll be able to use the BA First Lounge in there. The last few times I've been through I've had zero problem getting into the lounge even without my EXP card.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 3:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by mistik321
As oneworld Emerald, may I still use FastTrack security line at T5, even though I'm ticketed BA world traveller/econ to DXB?
I believe that officially the Fast track at T5 is only for customers travelling in premium cabins and BA's own elites. At least that's what I was told last time I tried to use that line as an EXP travelling BA economy. If you check out the BA forum you will see that the fast track experience at T5 is one of the most common complaints - the regular line can often be shorter

Do oneworld Emerald still get access to T5 lounges (GalleriesFirst, GalleriesClubSouth)? It seems YMMV?
I printed the oneworld Lounge Access page to bring with me, just in case.
But what really happens at T5?
Yes, as an EXP, you will have access to Galleries First. The YMMV part is if you don't have your EXP card with you. BA normally don't allow entry without the card but others have reported some success getting in without it
Old Jan 26, 2010, 5:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by britenbsas
I believe that officially the Fast track at T5 is only for customers travelling in premium cabins and BA's own elites. At least that's what I was told last time I tried to use that line as an EXP travelling BA economy. If you check out the BA forum you will see that the fast track experience at T5 is one of the most common complaints - the regular line can often be shorter
That is correct, though I was granted an "exception" 2 weeks ago because things were slow...
Old Jan 26, 2010, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
H
2) As oneworld Emerald, may I still use FastTrack security line at T5, even though I'm ticketed BA world traveller/econ to DXB?
No.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.