Delta pressures on AA

Old Apr 24, 2008, 7:54 am

Has anyone done one of those big comprehensive "Considering Delta if you're an AA Elite" type threads? I know I've seen a few on UA/AA comparisons and at least one CO/AA one which were very informative even though I have no real intention of switching for now at least.

Just curious, I tried a search but of course by the first law of AA searching I missed it, despite the fact that everyone else will see it as the first result somehow.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 8:17 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
i think that atl during irregular ops is by far worse than either ord or dfw on their worst days.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by c_stanley
Has anyone done one of those big comprehensive "Considering Delta if you're an AA Elite" type threads? I know I've seen a few on UA/AA comparisons and at least one CO/AA one which were very informative even though I have no real intention of switching for now at least.

Just curious, I tried a search but of course by the first law of AA searching I missed it, despite the fact that everyone else will see it as the first result somehow.
Its seems that any existing comparison will soon be moot b/c of the impending merger. I for one wouldn't make this decision until the details of the "new" DL/NW FF program.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by abk
i think that atl during irregular ops is by far worse than either ord or dfw on their worst days.
Have any data on that? DL certainly has more flights at ATL than does AA at DFW or ORD, but they also have 100+ gates.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 9:50 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by bdemaria
Its seems that any existing comparison will soon be moot b/c of the impending merger. I for one wouldn't make this decision until the details of the "new" DL/NW FF program.
The most significant detail is that all NW and all DL elites will now compete for the same limited number of upgrade seats.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 10:07 am

I've felt the same way. Flew DL once in 2006 and then quite a bit in late 2007 and 2008. It's not perfect, but I find it better than AA, especially in Y. Considering much of my flying is RDU-LGA on RJs, I actually prefer DL b/c their CRJs are more comfortable than AA's ERJs (I know that shouldn't generally be true, but I find their CRJs quite nice). DL actually offers a snack and my experience with FAs has been better than with AA's.

In fact, I may get gold status this year with AA (due only to the double EQMs), but if not, I don't care. I just take whatever is most convenient now (my schedule has become very rigid) and after that, whatever is cheapest. B/c so much of my flying is RJs, elite status doesn't get me so much any more (I don't really care about the bonus miles).

Also, while redemption rates are truly terrible on DL, one thing worth remembering is that getting SkyMiles is really, really easy. Essentially, what has happened is inflation. Lots and lots of miles chasing very few SkySaver seats; instead, people have to buy SkyChoice (double miles). However, their new 3-tiered system should mean you can do it for slightly less than double miles. While this sounds like a terrible devaluation, it really is not so bad if you consider that you can so easily get so many miles on DL. It's worst for people who fly to get their miles; for those who get them from CCs and purchases, Skymiles is a great program.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 10:11 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
DL and NW lounges have free alcohol

I've done some flights with Delta (in Y), and overall I've been more impressed with them than AA. AA continues to earn my business with their upgrade program, and better international partners. Should those someday vanish or be devalued, I'd be quickly switching to DL or UA or something else.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by dfotn
My partner just flew Delta for the first time yesterday and as luck would have it, he flew on a wide body SEA to Atlanta that had gourmet food choices, in seat entertainment and, to hear him tell it, every amenity ever presented to man.

Now he want's me to start flying Delta everywhere we go. Not a chance I say I'm nearly platinum this year.

Oh the pressure, oh the humanity.
In March I gave DL a try, in paid F, on the nonstop PIT-SLC. It was adequate, on the MD-88, quite comparable to AA overall. AA has power ports and cloth napkins, however. Frankly, in F it's CO that does a better job, not DL. If AA were to deteriorate I would likely switch to CO not DL.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 3:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
I flew widebody SEA-ATL for breakfast yesterday... It was the worst omlette I have ever had on a plane.

And returning ATL-SEA last night, the dinner was tasty, but just a tasty sandwich.

No gourmet food on DL for me! Where is it hiding?

(Gotta admit that the in-flight entertainment is better than AA domestically...)
Old Apr 24, 2008, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton
Originally Posted by chanp
thats funny, every time i fly other carriers in Y i feel the same way of why i am with AA. but i never seem to leave i think most of the benefits I get overshadow the entertainment/food options from other airlines
How different is Y in DL compared to Y on AA?

Originally Posted by JDiver
I've been with AA a while, so I think I'll stick around. Not to mention, the proposed DL-NW merger will possibly put a few sticks in the spokes of this bicycle. .... This story isn't over by a long shot.

Same here. My ears are on the rail. IF and when AAdvantage loses its advantage, I may jump ship. But its too early to tell.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.