Free Gold for MBA's?

Old Apr 21, 2008, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, Delta PM, *wood Ambassador Plat, Marriott Self-Imposed Exile
Free Gold for MBA's?

I know Gold isn't really worth much... but someone who i just hired recently told me that AA gave him and all of his MBA classmates free gold status for a year and a half for nothing. all they had to do was sign up for AAdvantage.

Ridiculous.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 11:47 am

Programs: AA GLD, soon-to-be PLT in 2 weeks!
Originally Posted by boston aa flyer
I know Gold isn't really worth much... but someone who i just hired recently told me that AA gave him and all of his MBA classmates free gold status for a year and a half for nothing. all they had to do was sign up for AAdvantage.

Ridiculous.
Yeah, and Ph.D students get free EXP.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 11:50 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select

Ridiculous.
Does your company have a corporate travel agent? Some companies have deals with airlines which provides elite status for potential top flyers.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm

Ridiculous.
not sure how that's ridiculous. Hyatt and Hilton both gave me complimentary gold status years ago in their attempt to get my business before I ever stayed there. AA is just trying to build some loyalty with a desirable demographic.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM

Ridiculous.
Why do you find it ridiculous?

(Even if that claim is true, since you're PLT, it's not as if those MBAs will be competing with you for perks. )
Old Apr 21, 2008, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA PLT (2MM+); Steerage in most other airline programs; SPG GLD; heckuva guy
When I worked at a corporate law firm, everyone was GLD automatically. Partners might've been PLT, but I don't know.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by gopherblue
Partners might've been PLT, but I don't know.
Partners weren't given EXP?
Old Apr 21, 2008, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, Delta PM, *wood Ambassador Plat, Marriott Self-Imposed Exile
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
Why do you find it ridiculous?

(Even if that claim is true, since you're PLT, it's not as if those MBAs will be competing with you for perks. )
Given the fact that someone can take the gold challenge, and basically "earn" gold fairly quickly... giving it away seems unnecessary to me.

Now, John Doe MBA is going to clog up the "elite" security line with his wife and 2.3 kids for their trip to disneyworld. oh and if he doesn't have kids... he's going to take the exit row seats... ;-)
Old Apr 21, 2008, 2:21 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Given the fact that someone can take the gold challenge, and basically "earn" gold fairly quickly... giving it away seems unnecessary to me.

Now, John Doe MBA is going to clog up the "elite" security line with his wife and 2.3 kids for their trip to disneyworld. oh and if he doesn't have kids... he's going to take the exit row seats... ;-)
If John Doe MBA and the other giftees don't fly the minuscule amount necessary to actually earn GLD the normal way, the amount of flying they do isn't going to clog up anything.

Cheers.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
You assume there even is an elite security line. AUS certainly isn't blessed with one. Of course, we Golds/Gold-diggers are probably more offensive here because we crowd the First checkin line as well.

I think it's a very clever trick to steer potentially lucerative business towards AA at little cost.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 9:30 am

Programs: ex-AA EXP, DL GM, ex-1k SPG Plat
I'm going to have to co-sign this whole thread...
Given the future earnings of this demographic I would give them gold.....
Old Apr 22, 2008, 9:36 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Hmmmmm, it appears the offer may not have been renewed this year. http://www.travelingbetter.com/forum...ead.php?t=2104 Safe travels all!
Old Apr 22, 2008, 10:23 am

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GTITAN
Hmmmmm, it appears the offer may not have been renewed this year. http://www.travelingbetter.com/forum...ead.php?t=2104 Safe travels all!
Actually, it does seem to have been renewed this year as the goldgrads.com site says:

Terms and Conditions:
This offer is only available to recipients of the invitation sent by American Airlines to select graduating MBA students of participating universities, Class of 2008. In order to receive this exclusive offer, student must complete this request no later than 11:59 p.m. CT, June 15, 2008.

My roommate is a AA pleb and hasn't gotten an email regarding this, so I guess he is not among the select few.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 11:00 am

Programs: UA 1K; AA Plat; B6 Mosaic; SPG Plat
In past years AA has offered this to Kellogg MBAs but not University of Chicago MBAs.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 11:13 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
not sure how that's ridiculous. Hyatt and Hilton both gave me complimentary gold status years ago in their attempt to get my business before I ever stayed there. AA is just trying to build some loyalty with a desirable demographic.
Hyatt gives everyone gold just for signing up. Its their "cardboard" level.

http://goldpassport.hyatt.com/gp/en/...membership.jsp

http://www.travelingbetter.com/forum...ead.php?t=2104 So that's where JonNYC went!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.