Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Tricks and Tips: NGBC Business class seats - including reset (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 10, 2013, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post, and edit this Wikipost to update.

● Sometimes a NGBC seat becomes inoperative; there is a possoble "reset" for the seat - see Post #39.

● The bulkhead business class footwell was originally not STCd by the FAA for item stowage; this is reported to now have been rectified, and personal items may be stowed in the bulkhead footwell.

● Items stowed in the footwell are subject to be crushed by full seat extension.

● Some find the modified "Z" position more comfortable than the full angled flat position; play with the seat controls, and then program your favorite position in.
Print Wikipost

Tricks and Tips: NGBC Business class seats - including reset (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2008, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Question Tricks and Tips: NGBC Business class seats - including reset (consolidated)

Long Time UA flyer giving AA a try on a JFK-NRT run. I have flown on ANA with their version of the Lie flat (on an angle beds) and assume that AA are about the same?
Any way to keep from sliding down? Should I bring a pillow? Take a few sleeping pills ?
Any tips are appreciated.
Please and Thank you
Old Apr 16, 2008, 9:01 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
i don't know about jfk-nrt, but have had these seats twice from us to argentina...the first time, it seemed to be slanted, but wonderful....

the second time, i felt flat after playing w/the buttons....had a pillow and blanket....worked fine for me at 6 foot 3....

enjoy....

edit to add...

i never had a company trip to japan, but others that did said, don't sweat it, you can get drunk twice on the flight...

Last edited by clacko; Apr 16, 2008 at 9:08 pm
Old Apr 16, 2008, 9:20 pm

Watch your pillow

Just flew back CDG-DFW - was on the last row.
When boarding took the pillow and blanket and threw it behind the seat in the space there.
Got ready to sleep- found the blanket, but no pillow. The pillow slid under the seat. Couldn't get to it - that made me feel kind of dumb. Wasn't about to ask FA for help - doh!

Hold on to your pillow.

Live it up.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 9:26 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by BDLORD
Long Time UA flyer giving AA a try on a JFK-NRT run. I have flown on ANA with their version of the Lie flat (on an angle beds) and assume that AA are about the same?
Any way to keep from sliding down? Should I bring a pillow? Take a few sleeping pills ?
Please and Thank you
Not having been next to any recent parolees , I've found that the prone position does feel a bit better with respect to the 'sliding' issue. Also, make sure your under-seat carryon does not obstruct the footrest, otherwise you won't be able to get the seat fully extended. Note that it's easy to get things trapped under/next to the extended seat. Finally, it's a bit of a trick to get out from a window/middle seat when your seatmate is sleeping extended, but it is possible if you brace yourself on the seatback in front of you.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 9:28 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
Similarly, to the above poster's pillow incident, last week on my flight to EZE, my mobile managed to slide through the seat, through the motor mechanism and lodge itself behind the motor and against a plastic flap that covers the motor from the row behind me. It took the purser, two flight attendants, two mechanics and the ground agent to disassemble and search throughout the seat. Ultimately my phone was located, but not without great trouble.

I was very grateful for their assistance, but definitely have learned my lesson. Once the mobile is switched off, straight into my bag it goes!
Old Apr 16, 2008, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Originally Posted by RChavez
Similarly, to the above poster's pillow incident, last week on my flight to EZE, my mobile managed to slide through the seat, through the motor mechanism and lodge itself behind the motor and against a plastic flap that covers the motor from the row behind me.
This is just anecdotal, esp. since I've only had 4 flights on the NGBC, the longest of which was MIA-LAX, but on 2 occasions there were seatbelts jammed, and the FAs both said that there is a regular problem with things getting down into the "works" of the seat.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by RChavez
Similarly, to the above poster's pillow incident, last week on my flight to EZE, my mobile managed to slide through the seat, through the motor mechanism and lodge itself behind the motor and against a plastic flap that covers the motor from the row behind me. It took the purser, two flight attendants, two mechanics and the ground agent to disassemble and search throughout the seat. Ultimately my phone was located, but not without great trouble.

I was very grateful for their assistance, but definitely have learned my lesson. Once the mobile is switched off, straight into my bag it goes!
It seems LOTS of items get lost in these seats. Going to FRA a crew member had to retrieve the stuck seat belt for me . It took them 5 minutes of adjusting and tugging to get it out. On the same flight, one guy's reading glasses were crunched by the seat. Take care!
Old Apr 16, 2008, 11:39 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
I use the duvet as a seat cover. I carry some "Binder Clips" (a.k.a. as "Paper Clamps") and use 'em to secure the duvet, behind the headrest, so it stays in place. This makes a very nice clean comfortable luxurious seat.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 12:26 am

Programs: AA-PLT/Lifetime
Quick note -- When pushing the button to set the seat for a sleeping position, push it a second time to drop the seat a little more.

An FT'er reported on the 763's NGBC seats in this thread that...
Originally Posted by JonNYC
The sleep position button seems to have more than one function in that if you hold it down in the sleep position it slightly alters the seating position. If I had to guess, it feels like one position has more thigh support (for back sleepers) and the other is more dead flat-- I assume for side sleepers-- where the extra support in the thigh area would actually be a downside. And a few subtle positions in between by holding the button down for a sec. Great feature and they should document it-- I don't think it's mentioned.
While I normally fly ORD-FRA on the 763, as a result of the MD-80 mess I flew DFW-FRA with the NGBC seats on the 777 and the differences seemed minor -- the IFE system; a glovebox-like compartment that's great for cell phones, wallets and other small items; slight difference in the work light and tray table; the inside armrest will raise to give better access to a small storage tray; a single privacy divider is permanently installed between seats; and I never did find the magazines -- but the seats seemed to be the same as reported in the rest of JonNYC's post.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 12:31 am

Programs: BD Gold (and future SEN), 0.2MM AA EXP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by CO FF
This is just anecdotal, esp. since I've only had 4 flights on the NGBC, the longest of which was MIA-LAX, but on 2 occasions there were seatbelts jammed, and the FAs both said that there is a regular problem with things getting down into the "works" of the seat.
This is a problem with every lie-flat that I've sat on - LX, AA, AC, OZ, NH, SQ, you name it. If the seat is flat, and the belt is laying next to you, there's a good chance it'll fall through the sides when you reset the chair back up.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 12:37 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by Alka
a glovebox-like compartment that's great for cell phones, wallets and other small items

This is a great way to donate your cell phone or wallet to the Lost and Found.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 2:43 am

Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.
Originally Posted by Alka
Quick note -- When pushing the button to set the seat for a sleeping position, push it a second time to drop the seat a little more.
This is one thing that Pax don't realize. Hit the button twice once in the 'sleeping position' to get the seat even 'flatter'.

Have a great trip!!!
Old Apr 17, 2008, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by BDLORD
Please and Thank you
The 777 w/NGBC is more comfortable than 763. Sluggoaafa makes an excellent suggestion of hitting the sleep position button a second time. Since you mentioned bringing your own pillow - it isn't a bad idea. You will be provided with a blanket and pillow - but I find that using one or the other under my feet alleviates part of the slipping problem.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Thank you all for the great suggestions and tips.
I can only hope my upgrade to F clears but I don't see that happening, one seat left right now.

Is "Live it Up" a reference to Mental as Anything?
Old Apr 17, 2008, 6:42 am

Programs: AA Plat, 1MM
Originally Posted by sluggoaafa
This is one thing that Pax don't realize. Hit the button twice once in the 'sleeping position' to get the seat even 'flatter'.

Have a great trip!!!
... the best tip I can offer is to get on a flight with an excellent cabin and purser like my recent RT JFK-SAN on 763 with NGBC (new to that route). Sluggoaafa and his team took most excellent care of myself and Mrs. Twofly and the entire FC cabin both out and back. What a pleasure to fly with a such a knowledgeable, professional, helpful, smiling, caring crew.

Thanks Sluggo you're an asset to AA and Flyertalk. We enjoyed meeting you and may we be so lucky as to fly with you again!

Tom

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.