Search

AA Won't Take My Money - Use It or Lose It

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2008, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
AA Won't Take My Money - Use It or Lose It

Have a reservation next wk CPH-LHR-RDU with the return a few days later RDU-MIA-MAD-CPH. Found out yesterday I need to be in RDU a day earlier for work, so I called the PLT desk to move my flights up a day.

The agent does the usual, new fare minus ticketed fare, + $200 change fee, and my total is $854 to change flights. Fine, I tell her to book it. Tough pill, but I have to be there.

After a 10 minute hold while she books this w/ the rate desk, the agent comes back and says sorry sir, there can be no changes to your flights. It’s a use it or lose it ticket.

What!? I am still in shock. I’m pretty familiar w/ use it or lose it restrictions (fly or change ticket before original departure date, otherwise no value), but I was under the (wrong) impression that pretty much any ‘normal’ fare could be changed, w/ fees of course.

And this is what I'd consider normal, a combination of N/S/K fare classes, booked on AA.com, for a total of $844 all in. It’d be one thing if it was a Priceline or consolidator cheapo booking, but it’s not. I fly AA transatlantic once a month and have booked way cheaper tickets than that, and changes have never been a problem.

Anyone have experience with this? Any ways to get around this ridiculous restriction? I say ridiculous as in the current state of the airline industry, AA just walked away from an add’l $854 in revenue it could’ve had for a few keystrokes on the computer. I really don’t know why I’m surprised.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 2:00 pm

Location: Now:AUS (again); Previous: LGA/EWR (BLKYN, missing JFK), AUS, SAT
Programs: Current: UA-Silver, Former AA Plat, DL Silver
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Have a reservation next wk CPH-LHR-RDU with the return a few days later RDU-MIA-MAD-CPH. Found out yesterday I need to be in RDU a day earlier for work, so I called the PLT desk to move my flights up a day.

The agent does the usual, new fare minus ticketed fare, + $200 change fee, and my total is $854 to change flights. Fine, I tell her to book it. Tough pill, but I have to be there.

After a 10 minute hold while she books this w/ the rate desk, the agent comes back and says sorry sir, there can be no changes to your flights. It’s a use it or lose it ticket.

What!? I am still in shock. I’m pretty familiar w/ use it or lose it restrictions (fly or change ticket before original departure date, otherwise no value), but I was under the (wrong) impression that pretty much any ‘normal’ fare could be changed, w/ fees of course.

And this is what I would consider normal, a combination of N/S/K fare classes, booked on AA.com, for a total of $844 all in. It’d be one thing if it was a Priceline or consolidator cheapo booking, but it’s not. I fly AA transatlantic once a month and have booked way cheaper tickets than that, and changes have never been a problem.

Anyone have experience with this? Any ways to get around this ridiculous restriction? I say ridiculous as in the current state of the airline industry, AA just walked away from an add’l $854 in revenue it could’ve had for a few keystrokes on the computer. I really don’t know why I’m surprised.
I would try calling back and getting a different agent.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ndhapple
I would try calling back and getting a different agent.
I did that today, same answer, no changes.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
This doesn't seem consistent w/an N/S/K fare ticket. I would contact another agent - although that requires actually getting thru on the phone - which can be a bit of a challenge at present.

- Do you have a copy of the T&Cs - there must be something very strange in the fine print.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Happened to me about 8 years ago. I had LAX-JFK on hold and when I went back to aa.com to buy it, the screen announced that my airfare had dropped by $10 or so. I clicked "buy it," and when the ticket arrived via FedEx (back in the paper ticket days), I then noticed that aa.com had substituted a "use it or lose it and NO changes allowed" ticket.

I called and raised holy hell (needlessly) and the agent was more than happy to fix things.

Made me very angry that the website had substituted a new, restrictive fare basis in the 20 hours since I had booked the ticket and printed the fare rules.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bdemaria
This doesn't seem consistent w/an N/S/K fare ticket. I would contact another agent - although that requires actually getting thru on the phone - which can be a bit of a challenge at present.

- Do you have a copy of the T&Cs - there must be something very strange in the fine print.
I have the original email itenerary & receipt, but of course that only includes the fare codes and no details on restrictions, changes, etc. I've poured over everything I have.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I've poured over everything I have.
Perhaps you can recreate the fare classes with a new, not-consumated reservation. Maybe the use-it-or-lose-it provision arises from the CPH origination. I've never seen it on AA U.S.-originating international tickets.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat (again!)
I have had this happen on a W fare, but that was a web special. It would not surprise me to find out other super-restricted booking classes like N and S would have similar restrictions. There is an option when booking via the web to explore the T&Cs of fare classes, but even on the web special, when I read through those details, I can never find the 'use it or lose it' clause. I guess in this day-and-age, you just have to expect changes are not even possible.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 8:58 pm

Programs: Starwood Residences Owner, AA 1MM, MP Gold, Avis-Hertz PC, Ritz Gold
Are any of your portions on BA? They are notorious for "use it or lose it". Perhaps that is why your entire itinerary is marked this way?
Old Apr 11, 2008, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Quite strange that there are such rules even on cheapo fares. AA could easily make some money here and get the chance to sell the original seat.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JAGMAP
Are any of your portions on BA? They are notorious for "use it or lose it". Perhaps that is why your entire itinerary is marked this way?
Of course there are! I didn't know there was any way to get to & from Europe on AA w/o a portion of that on BA

The CPH-LHR is an AA codeshare operated by BA. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that the use it or lose it clause is either a product of A) the BA segment, or B) that I'm departing CPH. I'm going to try to get someone from the rate desk on the phone today who can explain exactly what segment/airline/destination is screwing this up, cause I've never seen it before.

What UA Fan said above baffles me the most. I was ready, willing, and able to give AA an extra $854 in revenue for doing next to nothing. The new flights were even more open than the ones I'm on. It makes absolutely no business sense as to why they wouldn't let me change.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 9:15 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
It makes absolutely no business sense as to why they wouldn't let me change.
Makes sense to me, if you really need to change your flights you're going to have to pay an extra $1,500 for a whole new ticket, $1,500 is more than $850. Of course, you could just fly a different airline if it's the same or less than $1,500, but then BA/AA gets your original $844 fare without even having to fly you anywhere.

I would agree it's not the most customer-friendly policy, but to claim it makes "no business sense" doesn't hold water in my opinion.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 10:02 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Of course there are! I didn't know there was any way to get to & from Europe on AA w/o a portion of that on BA
You do realize that AA has other oneworld partners but BA, right? AY, IB, MA for example....
Old Apr 12, 2008, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
I got caught with a $5,000 (D) use it or loose it this January, LAX-JFK-LHR; LGW-DFW. I had needed to be in LA on business just before heading to London. AA.COM bizarrely booked me on the Qantas flight, AA codeshare, from LAX-JFK and then put me in FC because it was a "domestic" leg. I thought it was strange but I figured a QF 744 would be better than an AA 762.

My plans changed and I did not need or want to be in LA. When I phoned (about 10 different times) to request a change over to DFW-XXX-LHR, I was told "no way, you have a use it or loose it". A term I have never heard in 40 years of frequent air travel. So I begrudgingly took a flight from DFW to LAX just so I could get on the AA/QF flight to JFK.

I went to check in at the Qantas counter in LAX and was told since I did not originate in Australia, I could not take the QF flight. In fact they said they were watching for me since being put on "alert" by their JFK sta. mgr. Since this was obviously be a problem and since everyone certainly had enough contact details on me, I will never understand why SOMEone couldn't have called me in the days before.

Anyhow, QF sta. mgr. phoned AA and I guess the fur flew. ALL of a sudden AA figured out they had sold an illegal ticket and "Mr. bbkenney, sir, we will change your flight to whatever you wish or will refund the entire ticket. Whatever you want, sir!"

They wound up paying for my DFW-LAX and a fair amount of aadvantage miles but not enough to pay for the whole wasted day.

I now actually read the fare rules before hitting the Purchase button.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by bbkenney
I got caught with a $5,000 (D) use it or loose it this January, LAX-JFK-LHR; LGW-DFW. I had needed to be in LA on business just before heading to London. AA.COM bizarrely booked me on the Qantas flight, AA codeshare, from LAX-JFK and then put me in FC because it was a "domestic" leg. I thought it was strange but I figured a QF 744 would be better than an AA 762.

My plans changed and I did not need or want to be in LA. When I phoned (about 10 different times) to request a change over to DFW-XXX-LHR, I was told "no way, you have a use it or loose it". A term I have never heard in 40 years of frequent air travel.
Why is there so much confusion between "lose" and "loose" on FT?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.