FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Reservation blunder on my part (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/811205-reservation-blunder-my-part.html)

gohorns Apr 9, 2008 10:54 pm

Reservation blunder on my part

I am feeling pretty bad right now. Under the time crunch of trying to rebook a flight for tomorrow since my current flight was on an MD80, I accidentally booked the completely wrong date by a month on AA.com. My heart completely dropped when I saw that it was confirmed, and it said May. I tried having AA.com call me and trying to reach AA now would be useless. There is no way I can do anything about this, is there? I'm just out $X, right? I just wanted to make sure before I completely beat myself over it.

purpleskiesfly Apr 9, 2008 11:03 pm

Call and hold...you might be surprised. Remember to be NICE as the agent you will be talking to has probably been beat with a baseball bat a bit today. And definitely plead the stupidity card. The agent might feel pity on you and take care of it. (speaking from experience on the stupidity card ;))

mvoight Apr 9, 2008 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by gohorns (Post 9547526)
I am feeling pretty bad right now. Under the time crunch of trying to rebook a flight for tomorrow since my current flight was on an MD80, I accidentally booked the completely wrong date by a month on AA.com. My heart completely dropped when I saw that it was confirmed, and it said May. I tried having AA.com call me and trying to reach AA now would be useless. There is no way I can do anything about this, is there? I'm just out $X, right? I just wanted to make sure before I completely beat myself over it.

Call web services

I am a bit confused though.
If you had a flgiht schedule for an MD 80 tomorrow, why would you pay for a ticiket to replace it?
Can you still get non-refundable tickets form tomorrow?
I thought last minute was all refundable, but I don't buy last minute.

purpleskiesfly Apr 9, 2008 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight (Post 9547551)
I am a bit confused though.

I think the OP was multi tasking. Flight for tomorrow and booking something else.

mcnett Apr 9, 2008 11:24 pm

Don't know what the ticket price was, but at most you should only be out the change fee, since in the worst case you can cancel and reuse the ticket value minus change fee.

mcnett Apr 9, 2008 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight (Post 9547551)
I thought last minute was all refundable, but I don't buy last minute.

Nonrefundable tickets are usually available at the last minute with AA, just as with refundable tickets.

Since many airlines (not AA) offer a 24-hour refund period, on those airlines all last minute tickets are "de facto" refundable, as long as you cancel the ticket before your flight.

tom911 Apr 9, 2008 11:32 pm

If you haven't gone to "ticketed" from "purchased", you can just call in and cancel at no cost. Once it goes to "ticketed", you're at the mercy of an agent if you want to cancel without a fee.

dstan Apr 10, 2008 12:26 am

Originally Posted by tom911 (Post 9547636)
If you haven't gone to "ticketed" from "purchased", you can just call in and cancel at no cost. Once it goes to "ticketed", you're at the mercy of an agent if you want to cancel without a fee.

Of course, it's a bit more difficult today to get your call answered in time ;), but I agree, the OP should be like everyone else and keep calling till they get through.

kbins Apr 10, 2008 10:08 am

I accidentally booked the wrong date for a nonrefundable ticket for my hubby once. I quickly called the platinum desk, they rebooked me for the correct date with no change fees or anything. I think the fare might have been slightly (like $50) higher due to fare class availability. I was more than OK with that.

Call and ask!

magic111 Apr 10, 2008 10:17 am

Originally Posted by purpleskiesfly (Post 9547601)
I think the OP was multi tasking. Flight for tomorrow and booking something else.

After this happened once to my old senile mind after forgetting to take my ginko, I have always used the hold option. Go back and purchase prior to the expiration of the hold.

As long as I don't forget. ;)

Good luck to the OP on getting it straighten out.