Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reviews and Metal Choice FLL/MIA to SJO: AB6 or 738?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2008, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, SPG Platinum
Reviews and Metal Choice FLL/MIA to SJO: AB6 or 738?

Need to make a trip to SJO next month. Any reviews on the new FLL-SJO service or MIA-SJO?

Aside from the obvious double miles promotion for FLL-SJO, would I be happier on an AB6 MIA-SJO flight? I'll probably do the FLL itinerary for the miles and convenience, but I have to say I don't recall flying on an AB6 on American.

Oh, and:

a) Hopefully can snag an X class given the new horrible rules
b) Not expecting a clean aircraft
c) Not expecting decent meal service
d) Not expecting pre-flight drinks

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 22, 2008, 2:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by El Miameño

Don't quite understand how first-to-request, first-to-be-upgraded and no need to re-add one's self to the airport upgrade list are horrible new rules. Sure, one can make the argument that it makes higher fare, late-purchaser less likely to get an upgrade BUT first-come, first-serve is a pretty widely accepted practice in all areas.

That said, 16F on the 738 vs the same 16F seats on the AB6 with about 100 extra Y on the AB6, I would think your upgrade chances better ex-FLL. I would also think more of the elite business travelers or J-purchasing business travelers would be ex-MIA. On the AB6s are a disaster mechanically and are pretty beat up inside.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 3:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Pues, the last time I scheduled SJO I chose the 738 - much newer aircraft, higher reliability, and for me, that is the best approach. (In coach, seating is 3 x 3 in the 737-823, and 2 x 4 x 2 in the AB6, if that makes a difference; in F it's a near draw. Check www.seaguru.com for seat stats.)
Old Mar 22, 2008, 3:11 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by El Miameño
Note that this sticker upgrade to Central America would be into Business, and thus R, not X. Wouldn't want to set up your EF alert for the wrong code!
Old Mar 22, 2008, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Also depends if you prefer the roomier feel of a widebody over a narrowbody. I'll take the widebody any day of the week, even if it's an AB6 (as long as I'm up front).
Old Mar 22, 2008, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA "joe regular"
I'm all about flying widebodies, but SJO is only 2 hours away. The 738 is perfectly fine for that. I've flown MIA-IAD/DCA (similar length of flight) many times with the 738 and it's been great in Y or F. If you're getting extra miles for doing FLL, then go for it.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, US Chairman, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IC RA
If for no other reason than the AB6 being quite prone to delays, I'd get on the 738.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Platinum; SPG Gold; Priority Club/IHG Platinum Ambassador
Get on the 738 and take 14D in coach (2nd exit row... plenty of space and it reclines) or any of the F seats are fine. I am not a fan of the AB6... they are old and seem just run down. I haven't flown SJO yet but if you have the chance to do it from FLL then go for it if you want less airport hassle (and less "frills"). However one benefit of MIA is that you do have AC access as an EXP and FLL doesnt have any lounges.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, SPG Platinum
Thanks for the replies, folks. I decided there's not enough of a difference of metal. Going to take the bonus miles and do the 738.

Funny how my comment about the upgrade rules drew a comment as well. I really didn't mean to be malicious, just wanted to point out that I'm prepared to fly coach.

Also, thanks for reminding me that it's not X for EF.

Cheers, all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.