Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's your favorite way to use the 4-hour loophole?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2008, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

What's your favorite way to use the 4-hour loophole?

Now that the airport upgrade list is based on the time at which one originally requested his upgrade, I find that I need to use the 4-hour loophole in order to jump ahead of all of those stinkin' EXPs, so I can get upgraded, as is my birthright. It's got me thinking about which way I prefer to jump the line...

I guess requesting the upgrade at the time of booking and then waiting to see if I clear at 72 hours before calling in at t-4 is one way to go, but I think I prefer not requesting one at all until I hit that beautiful t-4 sweet spot and then...BAM. Shock the world by dropping the ol' upgrade request bomb.

What say ye?
Old Mar 12, 2008, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
deleted

Last edited by bdemaria; Mar 12, 2008 at 2:59 pm
Old Mar 12, 2008, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Starwood Gold
My favorite way to use it is to call the number and re-submit my request four hours before flight time in order to get upgraded. I assume that is everyone's favorite and only way of using it. And beyond that, I don't see much point in this thread other than ruffling feathers.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dan5000
My favorite way to use it is to call the number and re-submit my request four hours before flight time in order to get upgraded. I assume that is everyone's favorite and only way of using it. And beyond that, I don't see much point in this thread other than ruffling feathers.
Now cmon, that's not the spirit. Calling the muber is one way to jump the upgrade line before the X inventory gets transferred to the airport list, but some people might be thinking outside the box. For example, if you don't request one at all until t-4, you could just click the upgrade request box on aa.com, thus avoiding the call. Or maybe some people enjoy the thrill of doing it in person at an airport kiosk. Different strokes for different folks!
Old Mar 12, 2008, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Is there a full moon?

Originally Posted by Dan5000
I don't see much point in this thread other than ruffling feathers.
Good call. ^^^

Last edited by vasantn; Mar 12, 2008 at 3:32 pm
Old Mar 12, 2008, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, US Chairman, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IC RA
I really REALLY cannot wait until they fix this loophole...
Old Mar 12, 2008, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP and 1MM, SPG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hertz Prez. Circle
Can someone exlpain the loophole? I'm confused - I thought that with the new system being based on original request this was no longer. My upgrades clear 9 out of 10 times anyway so I guess I'm doing something right - LOL
Old Mar 12, 2008, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by millions
Now cmon, that's not the spirit. Calling the muber is one way to jump the upgrade line before the X inventory gets transferred to the airport list, but some people might be thinking outside the box. For example, if you don't request one at all until t-4, you could just click the upgrade request box on aa.com, thus avoiding the call. Or maybe some people enjoy the thrill of doing it in person at an airport kiosk. Different strokes for different folks!
Y'all just keep thinking that.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 4:16 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by stratofortress
I really REALLY cannot wait until they fix this loophole...
You're not the only one. Then, the PLATS can sit in their rightful place -- coach (hopefully in a middle seat).
Old Mar 12, 2008, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fsa_ea
You're not the only one. Then, the PLATS can sit in their rightful place -- coach (hopefully in a middle seat).
Class war!!!
Old Mar 12, 2008, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by millions
Class war!!!
..and you win if you're closer to the door.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, National Exec
Put on a pot of coffee, Alice . . . this is going to be a long thread.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 5:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
No, this is not going to be a long thread; to the contrary, it is this short.

FlyerTalk is a community, not merely a bulletin board, and

"FlyerTalk Rules
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

We want you to get the most from FlyerTalk. While we make every effort to ensure these forums are enjoyable and valuable, the ultimate responsibility rests with those who contribute. As with any community, FlyerTalk's standard of living depends on the goodwill and consideration of its citizens.

The rules are based on respect and good manners. FlyerTalk is a moderated board. Posts that don't comply with our rules will be removed, and members who violate the rules may be suspended or have their memberships revoked. Use common sense and you'll feel right at home. FlyerTalk Chat is subject to the same rules as the FlyerTalk forums."

Since this thread serves no genuinely useful purpose other than to provide a vehicle for aggravation, spite and dispute, it will now sink into oblivion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.