Transatlantic 777 with only 5 PAX

Old Mar 5, 2008, 8:48 am

Programs: Avis PP, Hertz 5*, HH Gold
From the article:
WHAT ELSE PRODUCES 43 TONS OF CO2?
* A family car travelling five times around the world, 123,000 miles.
* A bus travelling 300,000 miles.
A family car produces 2.5 times more CO2 per mile than a bus??? I find this hard to believe
Old Mar 5, 2008, 9:11 am

Programs: AA 1MM
A bit OT, but does anyone else find it strange that a bus can travel more than twice as many miles as a family car, and produce the same amount of CO2? Maybe I should trade my car for a bus. . .
Old Mar 5, 2008, 9:18 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by Cofyknsult
This token flight will be thrown as a defence at thousands of passengers cancelled on dozens of flights.
Hmm... thousands of pax on dozens of flights doesn't sound like particularily light loads to me.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 9:42 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
one of the rare times people got a free upgrade
Old Mar 5, 2008, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DataPlumber
Or the equipment was needed for a LHR-US trip.
Exactly. It had been fully booked but the 14 hour delay caused massive defections. There were probably 245 passengers in London who were counting on this airplane showing up so they could fly to ORD with minimal disruptions.

American Airlines said the plane had been fully booked but a 14-hour delay meant most passengers were found other flights. It had considered cancelling the 8 February flight but had a duty to the remaining passengers.

Spokeswoman Anneliese Morris said: "We had to consider the knock-on impact it would have on our schedule."
I'm sorry - but this is a complete nonstory. The fringe group of this article simply doesn't understand what it takes to run a huge airline. As I read elsewhere, maybe AA can buy some indulgences (carbon offsets) from an Al Gore-controlled entity to try to appease the EW crowd.

Last edited by FWAAA; Mar 5, 2008 at 10:07 am
Old Mar 5, 2008, 10:02 am

Programs: AA EXP
I for one would have been ticked that the upgrade was only to business. Especially if the aircraft didn't have NGBC.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by tismfu
I for one would have been ticked that the upgrade was only to business. Especially if the aircraft didn't have NGBC.
Totally agree

But it must have been that the FA wanted FC all to themselves
Old Mar 5, 2008, 11:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by dmitri
From the article:

A family car produces 2.5 times more CO2 per mile than a bus??? I find this hard to believe
Haha. I was just about to post the same until I read the rest of the thread.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 11:19 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
It annoys me to no end that the article didn't even cover the possibility that the flight was still operating at a profit (or near profit) from cargo. But why should we expect the media to be objective and try to get the whole story right.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PHL
It annoys me to no end that the article didn't even cover the possibility that the flight was still operating at a profit (or near profit) from cargo. But why should we expect the media to be objective and try to get the whole story right.
I'm not sure I'd insult mainstram "media" by including the publication linked in the OP. While cargo might have been a factor, it's apparent that passengers were counting on the flight so they could fly LHR-ORD. From a different article:

Operating the near empty flight is estimated as having cost American about Ł30,000. But a spokesman said it had no alternative.

"With such a small passenger load we did consider whether we could cancel the flight and re-accommodate the five remaining passengers on other flights.

"However, this would have left a plane load of west-bound passengers stranded in London Heathrow who were due to fly back to the US on the same aircraft.

"We sought alternative flights for the west-bound passengers but heavy loads out of London that day meant that this was not possible."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.../nplane105.xml

I wouldn't expect the EW crowd to admit there was any reasonable basis for operating the flight.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 11:56 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
5 passangers and still no predeparture drink?!?

5 passangers were upgarded to J at no cost- Can I get my VIP back?
Old Mar 5, 2008, 11:59 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by PHL
These organizations don't care about profits. They're communists. What the hell do they care about profits. Profiteering is and evil enterprise to them.

Carbon schmarbon.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 7:35 am

Programs: Former AA EXP/2M Lifetime now Blackballed UA Premier Executive PWP Bronze
Originally Posted by dmfriedman
My understanding (though I don't have hard evidence) is that a good amount of the revenue from long-haul flights actually comes from cargo. So I'm wondering if it's possible that AA could have even made money on a flight like this just from the load in the belly.
my guess (although i have no evidence whatsoever) is that ord-lhr wouldn't necessarily be a big cargo route (relative to some of the more lucrative routes)

further (although i have an equally low level of proof) i would think that some/most time-sensitive cargo would have been redistributed in a 14-hour delay situation

further (with still no proof) i would think that it is unlikely that the aircraft would have been used to proactively carry cargo from other flights subsequent to its delay (that cargo intended for other flights would have been reallocated to this flight in an effort to reduce load on other flights)

i do definitely agree with the honorable dmfriedman and others that cargo is overlooked by the critics, but i disagree that the flight might have still been profitable. however, as many have pointed out, the plane was necessary to accommodate the lhr-ord pax.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 7:56 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
I fly JFK-SFO a lot, on a route which American has flights every couple of hours. Sometimes a round trip is canceled, "coincidentally" with light loads. Canceling a round trip means no problems with aircraft out of position for subsequent flights.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Sam - DFW
my guess (although i have no evidence whatsoever) is that ord-lhr wouldn't necessarily be a big cargo route (relative to some of the more lucrative routes)

further (although i have an equally low level of proof) i would think that some/most time-sensitive cargo would have been redistributed in a 14-hour delay situation

further (with still no proof) i would think that it is unlikely that the aircraft would have been used to proactively carry cargo from other flights subsequent to its delay (that cargo intended for other flights would have been reallocated to this flight in an effort to reduce load on other flights)

i do definitely agree with the honorable dmfriedman and others that cargo is overlooked by the critics, but i disagree that the flight might have still been profitable. however, as many have pointed out, the plane was necessary to accommodate the lhr-ord pax.
How can any of us possible know what the ORD-LHR cargo situation was on that particular day or for that particular flight? Speculating is fruitless.

Originally Posted by altaskier
I fly JFK-SFO a lot, on a route which American has flights every couple of hours. Sometimes a round trip is canceled, "coincidentally" with light loads. Canceling a round trip means no problems with aircraft out of position for subsequent flights.
That's far too simplistic of a view. But if it makes you feel better to think that that's why flights get cancelled, go for it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.