Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has Miles plus Co-pay gone ?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2008, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
There's a search feature on aa.com that occasionally works pretty well.

Looking for "reduced mileage" qucikly found this page:
http://www.aa.com/aa/pubcontent/en_U...cialAwards.jsp
Old Feb 10, 2008, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by swag

Thanks for the link! It is pretty bad deal - considering that the co-pays are seemingly more expensive than buying the miles outright. I couldn't tell if if the combo tickets earn miles and/or count toward elite qualification. If so, then these make a bit more sense.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 9:04 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by swag

Well, what do you know, you learn something new everyday. Apparently this promotion is current and active but I find it odd that there is no obvious link to it on AA, nor does AA actively promote it, nor did anyone else seem to know about it until swag found the link.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by sukn
Well, what do you know, you learn something new everyday.
Yep. Complete news to me as well.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
They seem to be considered award tickets, so I assume no mileage is earned. And they can't be booked online, so there's that pesky agent fee.

Most seem to price out at 2 cents per discounted mile plus $25, but a few are cheaper. That's better than purchased miles, which are 2.5 cents plus $30. And I don't see a limit on how many of these discounted awards you can use; while purchased miles are limited to 40K/year.

On the other hand, purchased miles count towards your lifetime counter, I don't think reduced mileage discount would.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 9:25 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG, National Exec
Originally Posted by bdemaria
Thanks for the link! It is pretty bad deal - considering that the co-pays are seemingly more expensive than buying the miles outright. I couldn't tell if if the combo tickets earn miles and/or count toward elite qualification. If so, then these make a bit more sense.
I would venture a guess and say that it does not count towards elite status qualification because the language involved calls these things "awards" and mentions the cash as a mileage reducing award component.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA ex-EXP, 2MM (ex DL, ex TWA)
Originally Posted by vasantn
Yep. Complete news to me as well.
Obviously not your day! These have been around for many years - as the OP mentioned, there were previously prominent links to these awards on the AA web.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 12:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sukn
Well, what do you know, you learn something new everyday. Apparently this promotion is current and active but I find it odd that there is no obvious link to it on AA, nor does AA actively promote it, nor did anyone else seem to know about it until swag found the link.
This has existed for a while.

As mentioned by the OP, there used to , until recently, be a link to the reduced mileage awards page from the AAdvantage -> partners -> airlines page which has now been removed, though the page it self still exists ( as linked to above )

With the link being removed I would suspect that the awards may have been discontinued, but would suggest calling AA to check on whether still permitted

Dave
Old Feb 11, 2008, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, CO Silver
No it doesn't carry mileage or status earning potential-just like any other award. It is "reduced mileage award" the only difference is the part cash element.
As another poster said poor value for those who want either of those but useful in this particular case when a non frequent flyer is accompanying me and they have no need of either (or percieved need if you like).
I'll be calling AA later to find out if the recent removal of the links means this scheme is gone or merely going soon or is just currently unadvertised. I suspect the former-but it never hurts to ask.
Thanks for the useful posts and to the "I've never heard of it so it can't exist" posters-as one of you said "You learn something new every day"
Old Feb 11, 2008, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, CO Silver
Just got off the phone from AA-The program still exists and fared correctly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.