Wiki Posts
Search

32yr Captain Rich "Big Daddy" Stofer retires on AA 401 MIA-DFW

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2008, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz 5*
Thumbs up 32yr Captain Rich "Big Daddy" Stofer retires on AA 401 MIA-DFW

Really cool night on flight 401 from MIA to DFW tonight. Captain Rich "Big Daddy" Stofer flew his last flight. The entire cabin was decorated with signs and balloons. FAs all had on shirts that said “I *heart* Big Daddy,” and I got to experience my first "hosing" as we left MIA (even had the best seat--1J--in the house).

The FAs were all very senior--the most junior was 29yrs--and the entire crew bids the 777 from DFW-MIA and back every week. Many had tears in their eyes as we pulled into the gate for the last time. Captain Stofer's family and friends were waiting on the jet bridge.

In all, probably the most memorable flight I have had flying AA.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 10:03 pm

Location: SFO, SJC, OAK, LVK AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, LUV A-List, Hyatt Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Commercial Pilot (not employed by airlines)
I'm wondering why he is retiring. Is it by choice? Can't be mandatory unless he has developed a medical problem since they just raised the mandatory age from 60 to 65 he should be good to go for another 5 years, at least.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 12:05 am

Actually, apparently 143 American Airlines pilots retired yesterday, hence the fact we've seen several of these threads. The Dallas Morning News has an article on it:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...e.377a128.html
Old Feb 1, 2008, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by pushback
I'm wondering why he is retiring. Is it by choice? Can't be mandatory unless he has developed a medical problem since they just raised the mandatory age from 60 to 65 he should be good to go for another 5 years, at least.
Why is he retiring? How about "why not." Just because someone "can" work until they are 65, doesn't mean they have to. My dad retired in his mid-50s because he decided that there were many other things that he wanted to do in life besides practicing law.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 8:59 am

Programs: UA gold, AA Plat, HHonors diamond, DL DM
I was on that flight. There were balloons, decorations on the plane, some special tshirt on the fa's, etc. The banter of the flight attendants and the send off from the MIA fire engines' water spray on the plane at departure were a nice touch. Normally I just don't pay much attention to retirement sendoffs of persons that I do not know, but this one was nice to see. Too often flights are just another trip on Greyhound, it was nice to see the FA's and ground crews in MIA and DFW break the routene to give someone a retirement sendoff.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 9:54 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, AA PLT/AC
Originally Posted by rbessler
Actually, apparently 143 American Airlines pilots retired yesterday, hence the fact we've seen several of these threads. The Dallas Morning News has an article on it:

I came to FT today looking for info on this. Seems like half the flights I'm on have a captain retiring. Received a hosing last week from PBI-DFW where the married captain and flight attendant couple of 28+ years were both retiring together. Also have been on 2 other flights where the outbound from DFW or ORD was to be the last for the retiring pilot. Curious if there were going to be any pilots left?
Old Feb 1, 2008, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by rbessler

So by my count, we can expect 140 more threads on this topic ...
Old Feb 1, 2008, 11:52 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by vasantn
Well, these are all so different that each should be in its own thread. Kind of like people posting upgrade status.

Cheers.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by brp
Well, these are all so different that each should be in its own thread. Kind of like people posting upgrade status.
Yep.

BTW, I was about to start my own upgrade thread today as I thought it was fairly unique, but I will consult my personal brain trust before doing so.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 6:34 am

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
Originally Posted by pushback
Long story short, they can lock in the value of their retirement based upon stock prices 90 days ago.... and given what's happened to the market, many decided to bail.

All the labor-management back and forth aside, an airline pilot who has managed his or her money pretty well over a 30 year or more career, and hasn't been decimated by the bankruptcy of their employer, can retire with what most people would define as a comfortable retirement.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
Originally Posted by vasantn
Maybe the one's not retiring can come here and start a " X number of flights remaining before I retire" thread?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.