Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What flight do you wish AA would add?

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2010, 4:50 pm

UA? On LAX-HKG????

They dropped that route in 2008, I believe.

Originally Posted by learningtime
I don't check loads like some of you do (someone can check for me). But every time I take UA to HKG (from ORD), it is packed. UA's LAX-HKG almost always has better availability. ORD-HKG-ORD is one of the toughest routes to score a UA upgrade (FTers route via LAX to increase chances for an upgrade).

Also, unlike CX, AA does call ORD it's "hub". And HKG is a top asian destination and can offer oneworld connections via CX.
Old May 3, 2010, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by PStar
I know it is a waste of an optimistic thought, but I would really love STL<->LHR.
They used to have (or still have?) STL<->LGW.
Old May 3, 2010, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
SEA-BFI
Old May 3, 2010, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by jasondc
Oh, wow. I flew that route in 2008, March of 2008. It must have been dropped after that.
Old May 3, 2010, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Score8
I would like a reinstatement of a SFO-BOS early morning flight. As it stands now, there are only afternoon flights...
Because VX added a morning flight.
Due to VX and B6 AA went to 2X instead of 3X.
I am surprised AA is still flying the route at all as B6 and VX are both 2X.

When AA droped the morning SFO-BOS flight it also lost the BOS-LHR and CDG connection from SFO. Same thing happened with the AM SAN-BOS.
A lot of SAN and SFO people liked the BOS conection to LHR and CDG.
Old May 3, 2010, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by nkedel
They used to have (or still have?) STL<->LGW.
STL-LGW was shut down in 2003.
Old May 3, 2010, 9:04 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by jasondc
United operates daily O'Hare-Hong Kong service. At some points it even goes to 10x weekly.
Old May 3, 2010, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by MAH4546
United operates daily O'Hare-Hong Kong service. At some points it even goes to 10x weekly.
Any inside reason why AA or CX does not do ORD-HKG?
Old May 3, 2010, 9:59 pm

hmmm..

there was no reference in my post to ORD-HKG. I said they dropped LAX-HKG in 2008.

they have not done 10X weekly ORD-HKG for a few years now. they had it at least through the end of 2006/ early 2007, then they transferred those authorities to SFO (not sure if SFO then had 10 or 14x weekly), then in late 2007 they started LAX-HKG nonstop service. That service was gone by the end of 2008.

Originally Posted by MAH4546
Old May 3, 2010, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by learningtime
Also, unlike CX, AA does call ORD it's "hub". And HKG is a top asian destination and can offer oneworld connections via CX.
AA's hub is just as much a hub for CX if it flew there. AA connects passengers flying CX at LAX, SFO and JFK. CX places its code on lots of AA and Eagle flights and would have the entire AA ORD hub at its disposal if it chose to fly HKG-ORD. Add in the CX hub at HKG and you have powerhouse hubs at each end of ORD-HKG. Yet CX has not initiated passenger service at ORD for some reason. I'm not certain (and have no inside numbers) but I suspect that reason is a lack of sufficient profits to make it viable (at least when compared to multiple LAX/SFO/JFK flights). CX does fly cargo to ORD, as well as several other large cities.

I don't doubt that UA's flight might be packed, but I'm skeptical that there's sufficient profit to be made by initiating another daily ORD-HKG flight, be it flown by AA or by CX. Even assuming that AA is dense enough to ignore potential profits on a lucrative long-haul route, I don't believe that CX is as challenged as AA in the "recognizing profitable routes we should be flying" category.

UA may very well fill up its HKG flights at a profit. But there might not be very many additional ORD passengers left unserved, and route viability might depend on attracting a significant portion of UA's current passengers. What if they continue to choose UA instead of switching to AA? Neither AA nor CX is going to fly loss-leading HKG flights just because Flyertalkers want to be able to upgrade ORD-HKG.

ORD-HKG may very well be a winner. Just wonder why the HKG-based airline with multiple daily flights to the USA and Canada has ignored ORD, a city possessing a very large AA hub which could feed the flight? Maybe CX (and AA) have been leaving money on the table all these years. Or maybe ignoring ORD is a rational decision.
Old May 3, 2010, 10:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 1MM, BA Gold, *wood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
LAX (or DFW or ORD) - HKG so I can use my eVIPs on American metal.

And please bring back the SBA - DFW Eagle flight.
Old May 3, 2010, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PPL Jon
And please bring back the SBA - DFW Eagle flight.
My once a year around Christmas because I'd rather go SBA-DFW-LGA than SBA-LAX-JFK is hardly a good reason why AA should bring that route back, but I'd sure be glad to see it
Old May 3, 2010, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
STL-LGW was shut down in 2003.
Gotcha. Thanks for filling in the details. My wife flew that route connecting back from BUD sometime that year.
Old May 3, 2010, 11:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FWAAA
AA's hub is just as much a hub for CX if it flew there. AA connects passengers flying CX at LAX, SFO and JFK. CX places its code on lots of AA and Eagle flights and would have the entire AA ORD hub at its disposal if it chose to fly HKG-ORD. Add in the CX hub at HKG and you have powerhouse hubs at each end of ORD-HKG. Yet CX has not initiated passenger service at ORD for some reason. I'm not certain (and have no inside numbers) but I suspect that reason is a lack of sufficient profits to make it viable (at least when compared to multiple LAX/SFO/JFK flights). CX does fly cargo to ORD, as well as several other large cities.
You may not have inside numbers but your guess is probably right on the money!

First, from CX's perspective, there is no compelling reason to fly to ORD if its passengers' final destination(s) are LAX, SFO, or JFK. And just based on demographics, it looks like ORD is less favorable compare to SFO/LAX/JFK, all three offer plenty of business travelers and relatively high yield ethnic markets that Chicago cannot match.

Second, from AA's perspective, it is all about funneling passengers from smaller cities to gateway hubs. You can pretty much assume everyone west of Mississippi river and south of St Louis is going to prefer to connect on the West Coast. Everyone east of Mississippi probably don't care if they fly to JFK or ORD since it makes very little difference. If someone in Pittsburgh or Washington DC doesn't care whether the flight to HKG is from ORD or JFK, it makes sense for AA to operate it from JFK to better cater to NYC J class traffic demands.

And third and probably most importantly, UA probably has a strong hold on HKG traffic there (despite AA's hub status). AA/CX will probably have to sacrifice yield to muscle in on this market... not sure if it is worth it to either carrier.
Old May 4, 2010, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bzcat
And third and probably most importantly, UA probably has a strong hold on HKG traffic there (despite AA's hub status). AA/CX will probably have to sacrifice yield to muscle in on this market... not sure if it is worth it to either carrier.
Wouldn't DFW-HKG instead of ORD-HKG fix a lot of that last issue?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.