Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

UPGRADES: “Waitlisted” “Cleared” “Confirmed” “Pulled” “ …Scammed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UPGRADES: “Waitlisted” “Cleared” “Confirmed” “Pulled” “ …Scammed?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2008, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat), HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
Originally Posted by freeupgrade
To the OP - you did a very stupid thing, and frankly, for the amount of travel you do, don't think for a moment that I believe you were "innocently" buying the VIPs and did not know this was against the rules.

VIPs must be earned, AA does not "sell" them.
Saying that I accept full responsibility for my actions is not playing dumb as far as I’m concerned. I knew it was against the"rules", but I believed that it was the kind of “rule” which was not enforced at all. I just wanted to share my story, which I thought was interesting.

I did learn a lesson in this case and it didn't cost me any $ or FF account problems. I have no intention of purchasing upgrades in the future, primarily because I don’t want to risk my FF account. Honestly, if was just the money, it wouldn't be as big a deal. I did fly this weekend using one of the upgrades that cleared. I knew it was wrong, should I have come clean at the gate and demanded I get put back in coach?
Old Feb 6, 2008, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by SafeFlyer
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++

FWIW, I do think the EVIP seller was being truthful . He refunded my money almost immediately, and reposted the upgrades for sale on Ebay. So I am pretty confident that whatever was wrong with his account, he did not get caught selling EVIPs.

As for “SafeFlyer” the first 10 names I tried weren’t available and since I work in the field of Avation Safety, it seemed “OK.” I’ll also add that what I tried to do and in fact did (one of the upgrades cleared prior and worked this past weekend) may have been stupid, but it certainly wasn’t “unsafe.”

PS: I did not tell AA that I purchased that upgrades, nor did they ask at anytime.
He wasn't truthful in saying he's been an EXP for 15 years
Old Feb 6, 2008, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Question Dooooooo Dooooooo Dooooooo Dooooooo

Originally Posted by tx089
1) I was selling a car on eBay ($10,000) and as I had an extra eVIP that was about to expire in less than 3 months, I advertised that the buyer of my car could have the eVIP for free. AA saw the ad and froze my account and deducted the eVIP upgrade from my account.
Uhhh, gotta ask. How did AA discover your identity and link to your AA account from an eBay ad?
Old Feb 6, 2008, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by SafeFlyer
FWIW, I do think the EVIP seller was being truthful . He refunded my money almost immediately, and reposted the upgrades for sale on Ebay. So I am pretty confident that whatever was wrong with his account, he did not get caught selling EVIPs.
And the sale of eVIPs is strictly forbidden according to AAs T & Cs, so he's not being truthful there.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Skyman65
Uhhh, gotta ask. How did AA discover your identity and link to your AA account from an eBay ad?
No firsthand knowledge, but it's been reported here that ebay gives up user info to AA in cases like this.

Also it's quite easy to send a message/question and get the email address and match it up that way.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 9:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by mvoight
He wasn't truthful in saying he's been an EXP for 15 years
I know we all want to damn X to hell for selling eVIPs, but when I read the claim that he had be EXP for 15 years, I assumed he meant he was a top-tier AA flyer -- whatever the top-tier status was as the time.

Yes, X is violating AA's T&C but that is not the same as breaking the law. To me those are two very different things. As such we should not use this opportunity to cast doubt on X's entire pathology, though I'm certain most will disagree with me on this. The fact that one of OP's eVIPs did work and that he did get a refund for the unused ones is an indication that, while X is violating AA's T&C, X had no intention of swindling the OP.

FWIW, I have never bought, sold, or bartered miles or eVIPs but certainly have given away a few of them.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 9:48 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by sukn
when I read the claim that he had be EXP for 15 years, I assumed he meant he was a top-tier AA flyer -- whatever the top-tier status was as the time.
I've been EXP for 27 years.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 10:01 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by brp
I don't think that the number is assigned later, even in this case. What may be happening is that the number is assigned immediately, but that there are additional steps to actually "pulling" the eVIP. I always thought of this as the same action, but they could be different, and it would only matter if the assigned, numbered eVIP somehow went away in the interim.
Once an eVIP is pulled, processed, assigned a number, ticketed, confirmed etc., it still is not immediately deducted from one's account. As has been relayed to the OP, the system that updates the eVIP account balance is only run once every 3-10 days. As such, you could use the same eVIP more than once. However, once the system updates, you would go into a negative balance.

So yes, it appears one eVIP can generate more than one certificate number. You could also have a situation where the same eVIP is used more than once to fly immediately, and by the time the system updates, travel is completed and the account goes into a negative balance.

If and when the account goes negative, I suspect it is handled on a case-by-case basis with the customer.

I have not had this happen to me, but it has been explained to me in this manner by the EXP desk.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by sukn
I know we all want to damn X to hell for selling eVIPs, but when I read the claim that he had be EXP for 15 years, I assumed he meant he was a top-tier AA flyer -- whatever the top-tier status was as the time.

Yes, X is violating AA's T&C but that is not the same as breaking the law. To me those are two very different things. As such we should not use this opportunity to cast doubt on X's entire pathology, though I'm certain most will disagree with me on this. The fact that one of OP's eVIPs did work and that he did get a refund for the unused ones is an indication that, while X is violating AA's T&C, X had no intention of swindling the OP.

FWIW, I have never bought, sold, or bartered miles or eVIPs but certainly have given away a few of them.
For me at least, the issue is not questioning the seller's pathology, but rather a thread like this one speaks to a primary reason for FTs existence: Sharing information.

We know the following:

The seller is breaking AA rules by selling the eVIPs on eBay.
The OP got his money back and AA hasn't penalized him.

I haven't been on FT nearly as long as some here, but long enough that I can envision these two facts morphing into "proof" that nothing happens to someone who decides to sell eVIPs/miles, etc... . (Sort of the same way the various Op Up stories result in people w/no status in deep discount on a TATL flight post and say "gee, if I ask will AA just give me an F seat too, what are the magic words?").

Nothing could be further from the truth. AA is aggressive in their pursuit of eBay sales. The OP got lucky and I'm very pleased for him/her that s/he got a refund. However, seller X is another issue. No sooner had the problem been rectified than he ret'd to eBay to sell the eVIPs again. I suspect that seller X will not be given the opportunity to try and sell the eVIPs a 3rd time.

Last edited by bdemaria; Feb 7, 2008 at 7:40 am
Old Feb 7, 2008, 8:09 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by bdemaria
<entire post>
I believe you have summed it up quite well.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 11:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold
thanks for this message board... i was aggressively pursuing trying to purchase 2 VIP upgrades on ebay for the last few days. i'm glad i lost the auction. so i'm guessing the consensus is dont buy them from ebay???
Old Feb 15, 2008, 1:03 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Welcome to FT.

Yes- do not buy eVIPs (or miles) from eBay, craigslist, or anywhere else.

Cheers.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA L/T Gold
better.....

better luck and odds of success in Las Vegas
Old Feb 15, 2008, 4:17 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Buying / selling eVIPs can result in accounts being blocked and audited, and worse. AA maintains active auditing of places like eBay, Craigslist, etc. There are a few threads on this Forum with firsthand experience, and they make for some interesting reading (particularly on dark, stormy nights. )

Originally Posted by babytoothdoc
thanks for this message board... i was aggressively pursuing trying to purchase 2 VIP upgrades on ebay for the last few days. i'm glad i lost the auction. so i'm guessing the consensus is dont buy them from ebay???
Old Feb 16, 2008, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by mlgagne
better luck and odds of success in Las Vegas
Not necessarily. I know of many successful eVIP purchases on eBay and the like. They do carry a fair degree of risk, but certainly lower than gambling in Vegas. Not that I would ever encourage someone to do this, of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.