F Lap Child run amok

Old Jan 29, 08, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2.0MM, Amex PLT
Originally Posted by Blumie View Post
Most kids can't control themselves.
And why is that? Bad genetics? Are the kids that CAN control themselves just born "lucky"? hehehe...

Answer: No way... Shi**y parents = Shi**y kids...
Old Jan 29, 08, 6:44 pm

Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.
Originally Posted by nd_eric_77 View Post
Perhaps an AA FA could confirm or deny this.
Of course not knowing the full story (from the working FAs side) we don't know exactly what the FA did...if anything; all we (FAs) are entitled to is to keep informing parent that the seatbelt sign is on, and the plane is on a moving taxi-way.

Per the FARs, the aircraft is NOT to be moving while a pax is out of their seat. The FA should have called the Cockpit to inform them that the parents could not control their own child, and the child would not sit down to stop the aircraft until the pax is seated.

Pretty much sounds like that Bill Cosby skit about Jeffrey...

FAs can not force anyone to obey, however, we can have the cockpit call ahead to have the proper authorities meet the aircraft who do have the authority to enforce fines/rules.
Old Jan 29, 08, 6:45 pm

When the kid acts up and the parents won't control them, I say smack the mother! I had an experience so bad with kids once coming out of HNL in F that I complained to AA loudly regarding my ruined travel experience for what I paid for that damn ticket and I demanded at least a partial refund - and they paid it, my HNL/LAX/MIA portion of my ticket was refunded to my discover card with no fanfare, and not a written word one from AA. Of course, I probably beotched more than those kids - and they got the picture!

F class pax pay a premium price for their tickets and they should not have to put up with kids doing anything - especially when they are lap kids. (I don't care if you ARE still breast feeding him - a 14 year old is NOT a lap child!!!)
Old Jan 29, 08, 7:08 pm

Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.
I agree about not allowing kids into F, however, just as your own argument states: F class pax pay a premium price for their tickets . They paid to sit in F just like everyone else did...

lol, wait a minute...14yo and still breast feeding...?
Old Jan 29, 08, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA Advantage, Starwood, Hilton Honors, Points.com
Originally Posted by tigerpaw580 View Post
I remember when people(and their kids) behaved pretty well and actually wore clothes, not cutoffs and old tshirts to fly, and I'm not THAT old.Not over 50 yet(well, close)
For what it's worth, I doubt anyone reading this post will ever again in their lifetime find themselves on a flight full of quiet, neatly dressed people! Those days are gone with the wind ...
Old Jan 29, 08, 7:13 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Originally Posted by ncdecolover View Post
For what it's worth, I doubt anyone reading this post will ever again in their lifetime find themselves on a flight full of quiet, neatly dressed people! Those days are gone with the wind ...
I couldn't care less how people dress, but I routinely find myself on flights with quiet, well-behaved people. I don't find that to be much of a stretch at all.

Cheers.
Old Jan 29, 08, 7:16 pm

Just leave me the f**k alone. But notwithstanding my intolerance for people, I am far more tolerant of kids than I am of adults. Most kids can't control themselves. Most adults can't either, but at least they should be able to.
Hear, hear!! My sentiments precisely!
Old Jan 29, 08, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by brp View Post
I couldn't care less how people dress, but I routinely find myself on flights with quiet, well-behaved people. I don't find that to be much of a stretch at all.
Well in the greater scheme of things, I agree behavior trumps dress but in my experience, downright slovenlieness (sp?) often accompanies questionable behavior.
Old Jan 29, 08, 7:24 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ncdecolover View Post
Well in the greater scheme of things, I agree behavior trumps dress but in my experience, downright slovenlieness (sp?) often accompanies questionable behavior.
Agreed. In all honesty, I probably could care less about attire. Downright slovenliness is not my preference....I would like some sense of decorum. And I've certainly seen more inappropriate behavior from the more carelessly-dressed, although we all have stories of the business-suited person making an a$$ of themselves. I'm OK with shorts, t-shirts, flip-flops (just don;t go into the lav barefoot :yikes:

cheers.
Old Jan 29, 08, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.27M Hyatt Diamond Marriott SLVR HHonors GLD
Whoa, let me get this straight. The kid was playing with an electronic device during taxi and takeoff and you lived to tell about it? You must be counting your blessings. I was fortunate in that during every one of my 150+ segments last year, every passenger turned off his/her cellphone, blackberry, gameboy, Bose headphones, PDA, etc., so I never had to experience this kind of risk.
Yeah! Isn't that like, crossing the streams?!?! I'm busy trying to imagine every iPhone flying apart from every other iPhone at the speed of light...
Old Jan 29, 08, 8:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by technique View Post
And why is that? Bad genetics? Are the kids that CAN control themselves just born "lucky"? hehehe...

Answer: No way... Shi**y parents = Shi**y kids...
tell that to the parents of an autistic child

I'm guessing by your attitude you wouldn't know the difference between a child with bad behavior and an autistic one yet you would make a comment like this
Old Jan 29, 08, 8:09 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post

I'm guessing by your attitude you wouldn't know the difference between a child with bad behavior and an autistic one yet you would make a stupid comment like this
Autism exists, but there are far, far more poorly raised children that follow the rule in the post that you quoted than there are autistic children. As technique was speaking in general, and not about any individual child, the law of averages says that most of those that technique will experience are the poorly-raised and not the autistic. His/her argument is still completely valid. I have seen and done some work with autistic children. The difference between them and misbehaving, poorly-raised brats is quite apparent.

Cheers.
Old Jan 29, 08, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2.0MM, Amex PLT
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post

I'm guessing by your attitude you wouldn't know the difference between a child with bad behavior and an autistic one yet you would make a comment like this
Well, your guess is wrong... I was not referring to children with medical conditions... downs, autism, etc... That's pretty low of you to suggest such a thing

I think it was pretty obvious that I was referring to the majority of obnoxious children, not the fairly rare autistic child...
Old Jan 29, 08, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sluggoaafa View Post
Of course not knowing the full story (from the working FAs side) we don't know exactly what the FA did...if anything; all we (FAs) are entitled to is to keep informing parent that the seatbelt sign is on, and the plane is on a moving taxi-way.

Per the FARs, the aircraft is NOT to be moving while a pax is out of their seat. The FA should have called the Cockpit to inform them that the parents could not control their own child, and the child would not sit down to stop the aircraft until the pax is seated.

Pretty much sounds like that Bill Cosby skit about Jeffrey...

FAs can not force anyone to obey, however, we can have the cockpit call ahead to have the proper authorities meet the aircraft who do have the authority to enforce fines/rules.
BINGO! That's my concern - FARs were blatantly violated, potentially risking passenger safety - not whether the darn kid was crying. Being in F does not mean rules don't apply to those passengers.

I'm not out to villify the parents, nor to get something from AA. Crying kids are a fact of life. My question remains - is it appropriate to communicate this behavior to AA so that it can be addressed. The FAs did not make any announcements and actually seemed to be encouraging the kids as it kept them from screaming.
Old Jan 29, 08, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by sluggoaafa View Post
Per the FARs, the aircraft is NOT to be moving while a pax is out of their seat.
I had the exact opposite situation arise earlier this month when flying AA with my wife and two children, ages 1 and 3. As the Super 80 was taxiing, a flight attendant came up to tell us that we had been allowed mistakenly to sit immediately behind the exit row, that we had to move, and that she had alerted the cockpit. She asked the people in the row behind us if they were willing to switch and they agreed. I sat in my seat ready to move as soon as the plane stopped.

However, the FA sternly said that we had to move "NOW!". Therefore with the plane moving on the ground, my wife and I had to get up with the kids, remove a car seat and a CARES belt, switch with the other four passengers behind us and, then reinstall the seat, the belt, the kids, and ourselves before take-off.

I was really quite surprised. With the cockpit informed of this situation, I would have thought that the plane would be stopped to allow all of this people movement to occur safely.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: