Widebody Downgrades at MIA

Old Jan 31, 08, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz 5*
Just got off flight 401 , the 777 from MIA to DFW. The entire crew for the flight bids together and they have been flying that flight for years. When I mentioned that the 777 was no longer on the schedule for late March, the FA told me that they hear that rumor every year but that it always ends up staying. She did mention that if it really does happen this year, it could be a career ending move for many of the FAs who fly the route--the most junior has 29yrs.
Old Jan 31, 08, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, SPG Gold, MR Gold, HH Gold
I'm amazed that AA actually has any exclusively domestic crews for the 772, given that it flies only a few repositioning routes within the country (ORD-DFW-ORD, DFW-MIA-DFW, MIA-LAX-MIA, BOS-MIA-BOS, JFK-MIA-JFK, and occasional other ones).

Granted, MIA-DFW is technically an "international" route for crew purposes because of the extended overwater operation, but I doubt that the FAs come from the IDF base.
Old Feb 1, 08, 4:07 am

[QUOTE=mvoight;9165668]Do you believe they are taking the 767 off the SFO-MIA route for 5 or 6 months for maintenance, and not to put it on another route?
QUOTE]

You obviously don't fly out of MIA five and six times a month. When they tell you, flight canceled due to maintenance issues, it's not something they get brownie points for with the DOT so when they say she's broke .. . she's broke!

Anyhow, broken aircraft in need of maintenance is going to be the least of their worries in the next few weeks. With all the volitile activity on the economy and markets, and 401Ks taking severe beatings where earnings are concerned, you can bet pilots are going to start retiring left and right over the next 3-4 weeks.

I could be wrong, but the chatter sounds about right. What remains to be seen is if they can take a bunch of those more "senior" FAs with them.
Old Feb 1, 08, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by WingNaPrayer View Post
I could be wrong....
Understatement of the decade.
Old Feb 1, 08, 6:32 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP (1.5MM), Hilton/SPG/Marriott Gold
[QUOTE=WingNaPrayer;9172464]
Originally Posted by mvoight View Post

With all the volitile activity on the economy and markets, and 401Ks taking severe beatings where earnings are concerned, you can bet pilots are going to start retiring left and right over the next 3-4 weeks.
I must be missing part of your logic. The markets are down over the past 2-3 months, so lets all retire? Maybe we should all cash out those 401k's as well, just in case it never comes back. Buy High, sell low....
Old Feb 1, 08, 7:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz 5*
[QUOTE=ja_user;9172834]

I must be missing part of your logic. The markets are down over the past 2-3 months, so lets all retire? Maybe we should all cash out those 401k's as well, just in case it never comes back. Buy High, sell low....

From the Dallas Morning News this morning about 143 pilots retiring yesterday:

Pilots can lock in the value of their B Plan pension three months in advance of retirement and then choose on their announced retirement date to go ahead and retire or withdraw their notice.
Old Feb 1, 08, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Do you believe they are taking the 767 off the SFO-MIA route for 5 or 6 months for maintenance, and not to put it on another route?
QUOTE]

You obviously don't fly out of MIA five and six times a month. When they tell you, flight canceled due to maintenance issues, it's not something they get brownie points for with the DOT so when they say she's broke .. . she's broke!

Anyhow, broken aircraft in need of maintenance is going to be the least of their worries in the next few weeks. With all the volitile activity on the economy and markets, and 401Ks taking severe beatings where earnings are concerned, you can bet pilots are going to start retiring left and right over the next 3-4 weeks.

Article today in usatoday.com about AA canceling flights in February because of pilot retirements.

I could be wrong, but the chatter sounds about right. What remains to be seen is if they can take a bunch of those more "senior" FAs with them.
Old Feb 2, 08, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP 5MM; Hertz President's Circle; Hilton Gold
Hard to believe they are taking 767 off MIA-SFO for summer. I have been commuting summers on that route for years and they have never taken it off before. It is in fact always packed. In some past years they took 767s off MIA-SFO briefly after Labor Day in Sept-Oct only, never in summer. If I have to commute on 757's looks like an LA connection for me!
Old Feb 2, 08, 7:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLAT
As away ignore WingNaPrayer's comments. He does not know what he is talking about. AA's 777 fleet has among the lowest 777 fleet utilization rates in the industry. This is because AA has in the part dedicated the planes to certain airports like in London. By not doing that and decreasing the amount of domestic service they fly AA can turn the planes around on international flights quicker. The fleet is terribly under used but the fact that AA uses them almost exclusively to London and Tokyo increases ground time. They arm mixing it up this summer.
Old Feb 2, 08, 11:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MAH4546 View Post
As away ignore WingNaPrayer's comments. He does not know what he is talking about. AA's 777 fleet has among the lowest 777 fleet utilization rates in the industry. This is because AA has in the part dedicated the planes to certain airports like in London. By not doing that and decreasing the amount of domestic service they fly AA can turn the planes around on international flights quicker. The fleet is terribly under used but the fact that AA uses them almost exclusively to London and Tokyo increases ground time. They arm mixing it up this summer.

"He" is a she who has posted nothing positive about AA since AA refused to hire her.
A search of posts a few years back will be very revealing

MIKE
Old Feb 3, 08, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Do you believe they are taking the 767 off the SFO-MIA route for 5 or 6 months for maintenance, and not to put it on another route?
QUOTE]

I am not referring to maintenance cancelation. The thread is about seaonal aircraft changes, because the planes are being used on other routes, like to Europe. Are you missing this??? OR do you thnk the planes aren't going to Europe but are going to Maintenance for 5 months or so?
Old Feb 3, 08, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
[QUOTE=ja_user;9172834]

Yep, not really logical. Let's retire now, because we have less money to live on in retirement. It seems to me that if you retirement fund is lower than expected, you would want/need to work longer.
Old Feb 3, 08, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yep, not really logical. Let's retire now, because we have less money to live on in retirement. It seems to me that if you retirement fund is lower than expected, you would want/need to work longer.
Post #36 explains why it is completely logical.

The pilots get a "look-back" period that allows them to use the higher valuations (like the Dow peak of 14,000) instead of today's lower values. That makes a huge difference.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: