Widebody Downgrades at MIA

Old Jan 29, 08, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, SPG Gold, MR Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge View Post
I know where I liked to see the A300s go, into the desert. Possibly, to beef up FLL routes to Central America to defend against Spirit?
Perhaps to ramp up SJU and SDQ service for the summer. Also other DR and Haiti routes out of JFK.
Old Jan 29, 08, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On a related note, let me just say that I frequently have thought how much fun it would be to do some kind of internship with AA in order to learn the inner workings of Capacity Planning, among other departments (Yield/Revenue Management, Operations, Premium Services, etc.). I love it when I'm at the airport, watching the plane get catered, cleaned, fueled, and loaded with luggage, and think about just how many departments are working together behind the scenes to make the flight happen. Wouldn't it be fun to know about them?

And it just seems silly that we all engage in so much speculation on FT. In fact, most of us already know more about AA policies than many employees do, especially airport AAgents! I just wish we could have some kind of seminar to learn the details formally from AA and not have to speculate so much. I bet we could convince Randy to sponsor it.

Of course, I wouldn't want it to be a paid internship, becuase I wouldn't want to become an employee and have to give up my AC membership.
Old Jan 29, 08, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36 View Post
Of course, I wouldn't want it to be a paid internship, because I wouldn't want to become an employee and have to give up my AC membership.
Yes, but think of all the joys of employee non-rev travel.
Old Jan 29, 08, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Alfonso XIV View Post
Yes, but think of all the joys of employee non-rev travel.
And not earn miles? You've got to be kidding! Until I reach 2MM, I won't even claim flight awards except on super-short AE trips that wouldn't earn many miles anyway.
Old Jan 29, 08, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x View Post
Ok I admit it it was me. I called the Platinum desk and complained about AAs lack of service on some routes. They told me that they would have to reallocate the wide bodies from somewhere to add new european routes. The new routes I requested were:

JFK-TXL
JFK-AMS
JFK-ATH.

So I guess they will be making the press announcement soon. Maybe next month I'll call and have JFK-LAX extended into JFK-LAX-SYD.

I'll let you know if I do.
You forgot PVG-XNA.
Old Jan 29, 08, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by spanishflea View Post
There seems to be a big load of equipment downgrades at MIA
The downgrades are for a simple reason, the planes are busted! AA is pushing the snot out of their tin and with neglect comes aircraft being taken out of service for maintenance that can no longer wait.

I'm anxious to watch AA start taking those over-worked 777s to Bejing and Shanghai on a regular basis. Now there is a piece of equipment you can't downgrade so easily.

Bad part is, when a pax pays premium FClass pricing for a NG seat and FClass 777 service, they are getting cheated out of the product and service they thought they bought and paid for when they end up in a ratty Fclass seat on a 737 instead. There is a huge difference in comfort and service, but never a huge difference in price from aircraft type to aircraft type.

I've had this happen a lot and believe me, it's not just MIA where it is going on, and to be truthful, it's not just AA either. NW has a nasty habit of downgrading aircraft also, as does DL.
Old Jan 29, 08, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by WingNaPrayer View Post
The downgrades are for a simple reason, the planes are busted! AA is pushing the snot out of their tin and with neglect comes aircraft being taken out of service for maintenance that can no longer wait.
Nonsense. In the warm months, they are used for other locations.
While I wasn't thinking about this when I booked, it was pointed out there was a previous thread from last year that showed the 767's being repositioned. I just wish they would put that in the ORIGINAL schedule, so I don't use miles to upgrade and find out a day or two later the upgrade is to a 757. AA screwed up the upgrade, so no miles were deducted. However they would not change the upgrades for the other people, so I was left with paying $200 more to downgrade them to economy and redeposit miles (2 accounts, so 2 x $100), or get my first class seats back for 30K (for 2)
So, in the end I upgraded the two seats back, so I am hoping the MIA-GCM segment clears AND AA decides they need a 763 on the route.

Planes are taken out of service for normal maintenance, so your comments make no sense.
Old Jan 29, 08, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Originally Posted by Deltahater View Post
Does anybody have any idea where these planes are going?
There is a 777 replacing a 767 on one of the 2 JFK-CDG daily frequencies.
Old Jan 30, 08, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by mvoight View Post

Planes are taken out of service for normal maintenance, so your comments make no sense.
But they do. I had 3 flights cancel this month, not change equipment, cancel because the 777 went out of service, meaning it was busted and needed maintenence.

Ask a GA why when it happens. They'll tell you. . . maintenance!

It is pure rapture to fly AA out of MIA when they know the FAA is scouring the airport checking them on all things FAA. You'll see lots of equipment changes then, simply because they are keeping aircraft away from gates where the FAA may decide to board in inspect at any given moment.

Planes do break, it's a given and doesn't necessarily mean anything. A lot of times the needed repair can't be done at the gate and the plane must be towed to a hangar. When that happens, equipment changes ensue but for the most part, equipment changes are due to aircraft maintenance. I don't think AA shuffles much of it's fleet based on warmer weather, if that was the case you would see 30 777s parked at MIA at all times!
Old Jan 30, 08, 7:39 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As the monthly schedules demonstrate, AA does cycle larger aircraft to other routes during high season and as routing needs / passenger and cargo loads change - maintenance is scheduled, as shown here (bottom of the page,) and breakdowns are unplanned repairs.

The pilots are generally the ones who take an aircraft out of service, not the FAA - there is a MEL (Minimum Equipment List) without which a pilot will not fly an aircraft, per FARs. All repairs, maintenance and equipment outages are logged at all times, and the log remains with the aircraft. The FAA can and will check logs periodically, but the pilots will check every time; they are not interested in risking their and their passengers' lives, nor are they interested in risking their flight status.

[QUOTE=WIngNaPrayer]But they do. I had 3 flights cancel this month, not change equipment, cancel because the 777 went out of service, meaning it was busted and needed maintenence.

Ask a GA why when it happens. They'll tell you. . . maintenance!

It is pure rapture to fly AA out of MIA when they know the FAA is scouring the airport checking them on all things FAA. You'll see lots of equipment changes then, simply because they are keeping aircraft away from gates where the FAA may decide to board in inspect at any given moment.

Planes do break, it's a given and doesn't necessarily mean anything. A lot of times the needed repair can't be done at the gate and the plane must be towed to a hangar. When that happens, equipment changes ensue but for the most part, equipment changes are due to aircraft maintenance. I don't think AA shuffles much of it's fleet based on warmer weather, if that was the case you would see 30 777s parked at MIA at all times!
Old Jan 30, 08, 8:58 am
Suspended

I don't think AA shuffles much of it's fleet based on warmer weather, if that was the case you would see 30 777s parked at MIA at all times!
Does anyone here really need any more proof that this poster has no clue about AA operations ( or airlines in general) and any further discussion is just a complete waste of ones time??.

mike
Old Jan 30, 08, 9:21 am

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Oh come on now - AA staff at MIA can't even keep track of bags and load them on the proper flight. How could this crew of surly incompetents ever successfully play complicated games of hide the salami with broken airplanes???
Old Jan 30, 08, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, AA's aircraft utilization leaves something to be desired, which doesn't correspond with the bolded assertion.

I'm anxious to watch AA start taking those over-worked 777s to Bejing and Shanghai on a regular basis. Now there is a piece of equipment you can't downgrade so easily.
"Start taking?" Where you been? AA's been flying those well-rested (definitely not "over-worked") 777s to PVG from ORD every day for over 20 months now. PEK begins next year.

Bad part is, when a pax pays premium FClass pricing for a NG seat and FClass 777 service, they are getting cheated out of the product and service they thought they bought and paid for when they end up in a ratty Fclass seat on a 737 instead. There is a huge difference in comfort and service, but never a huge difference in price from aircraft type to aircraft type.

I've had this happen a lot and believe me, it's not just MIA where it is going on, and to be truthful, it's not just AA either. NW has a nasty habit of downgrading aircraft also, as does DL.
Very few passengers pay attention to the aircraft type on domestic flights (other than Flyertalkers, that is).
Old Jan 30, 08, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by saucesee View Post
Sounds like the 767s and the 777s will be sent to those new european destinations (e.g., BCN, SVO, etc). Wonder if/when any new 777-223ERs will arrive from Boeing...

Where, pray tell, are the A300s going?
The California desert grave yard?
Old Jan 31, 08, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by WIngNaPrayer
But they do. I had 3 flights cancel this month, not change equipment, cancel because the 777 went out of service, meaning it was busted and needed maintenence.
Do you believe they are taking the 767 off the SFO-MIA route for 5 or 6 months for maintenance, and not to put it on another route?

Do you not believe AA can make more money flying the 767 to Europe in the summer than flying it to Miami?

I''ll bet you also don't believe cruise lines move their ships other locations to service Alaska or Europe in the summer.

Last edited by mvoight; Jan 31, 08 at 12:33 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: