LHR - LAX in Biz - did I choose right

Old Jan 25, 08, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
LHR - LAX in Biz - did I choose right

Hi all!

After realizing I had a few extra vacation days, I wanted to extend my trip to Greece (Sept/Oct), and add a stop-over in London (I was going through London anyway).

Too late to get the non-stop LHR-LAX, so my choice was

STN-JFK-LAX on 762/763 on AA (3 hour layover in JFK)

or

LHR-YVR-LAX on a 747 on British followed by a 738 on Alaska (in YVR).

I took the BA figuring the trade up on the transatlantic (9 hours) and the departure lounge was worth the trade down on the continental leg (3 hours) plus an extra hour of layover (4 hours in YVR vs. 3 in JFK).

(I have since found out poor things about lounge in YVR). Think I made the right choice?
Old Jan 25, 08, 4:08 pm

If you're in J or F you definitely made the right choice
Old Jan 25, 08, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
You made the right choice.

BA J class > AA J, IMO.
Old Jan 25, 08, 6:45 pm

BA J > AA F as well, so def the right choice!!!
Old Jan 25, 08, 7:14 pm

Programs: BD Gold (and future SEN), 0.2MM AA EXP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ihearttravl View Post
BA J > AA F as well, so def the right choice!!!
Food, IFE: yes
Seat: thinking no

Edit: OP, if you feel like you did the right thing, chances are, you did

Last edited by cstead; Jan 25, 08 at 11:01 pm
Old Jan 25, 08, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Thanks. I'm not sure about the seat, it's been a few years since I've been on international J on BA. I like BA better for sleeping but not for sitting back then.
Old Jan 25, 08, 11:54 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Regular Onepass, Mileage Plus, Worldperks and Smiles (Varig)
You didn't say if you are collecting AA miles on this trip, though. As I understand it, transatlantic flights on BA don't earn AA miles. So that would be a smart move if you were using miles, but not if you were expecting to earn them.
Old Jan 26, 08, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teabird View Post
You didn't say if you are collecting AA miles on this trip, though. As I understand it, transatlantic flights on BA don't earn AA miles. So that would be a smart move if you were using miles, but not if you were expecting to earn them.
Not exactly.

No earning (or redeeming) AA miles on BA flights from UK-USA or reverse, but the OP is flying UK-Canada, which permits earning or using miles on the opposite carrier. So the OP CAN earn AA miles or use AA miles on BA in this case. Same thing with BA UK-MEX or Caribbean-UK. Just no USA-UK-USA.
Old Jan 26, 08, 1:08 am
Original Poster

It's an award ticket.

Thanks to al that posted. Your opinions will help give me peace of mind during my layover in YVR
Old Jan 26, 08, 5:37 am

Programs: AA PLT/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH Diamond
To the OP- try (hard) to get on the UD or a window seat- very private.
Old Jan 26, 08, 1:38 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Regular Onepass, Mileage Plus, Worldperks and Smiles (Varig)
Originally Posted by FWAAA View Post
Not exactly.

No earning (or redeeming) AA miles on BA flights from UK-USA or reverse, but the OP is flying UK-Canada, which permits earning or using miles on the opposite carrier. So the OP CAN earn AA miles or use AA miles on BA in this case. Same thing with BA UK-MEX or Caribbean-UK. Just no USA-UK-USA.
I didn't know that! Yet another nugget of wisdom from FT. Thanks!
Old Jan 26, 08, 3:18 pm

Programs: BD Gold (and future SEN), 0.2MM AA EXP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by FWAAA View Post
Not exactly.

I had thought that AA6679 and AA6680, the codeshares for BA1502 and BA1503 JFK-MAN-JFK, earned normal miles, points and segments.
Old Jan 26, 08, 3:45 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
I'm not sure the YVR decision was the best, but it sounds like it's made.

I find the US customs and immigration pre-clearance (for AS departures) is a serious PITA (unless you want to go through the queue from hell entering Canada first, then go landside back through the maze, also paying the airport improvement fee.)

Plus, AS' on-time record is nothing to brag about (and AS' west coast F catering nothing at all like AA transcon J catering) and AS' arrivals at LAX are really miserable, so IMO the cost is pretty high if the aim is to "enjoy" the BA (or CX if it's open) lounge at YVR. In my limited experience, the BA lounge can be full-to-bursting right when you'd get there.

Plus, maybe I'm crazy, but I think the new AA digs at JFK are not bad at all.

And a final plus, of course nobody knows what the BA experience at T5 will be, but in my heart of hearts I think LHR will still be LHR. Oy.

It looks like your total travel time will be about the same.
Old Jan 26, 08, 6:18 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by cstead View Post
I had thought that AA6679 and AA6680, the codeshares for BA1502 and BA1503 JFK-MAN-JFK, earned normal miles, points and segments.
They do, but that's not what the post said. AA codeshare flights, even USA-UK on BA, would earn as an y other AA flights. Award trips, as the OP's, never earn miles, of course.

And after February, the BA UK-Canada / Mexico / etc. flights will not offer AA status bonus miles. Link.

Originally Posted by teabird View Post
Old Jan 26, 08, 8:16 pm

I just flew STN-JFK-LAX in J and it was excellent. THE J service on the 763 is absolutely wonderful.. And the first class lounge at JFK was a great place to relax.. Food on transcon just so-so but food from STN-JFK was excellent....

Search this Thread