AA Plat from ORD to LHR on BA

Old Jan 25, 08, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
AA Plat from ORD to LHR on BA

I don't fly much these days but still a Plat (3 million lifetime), my wife and I are taking some college kids to the UK on BA at spring break. Do Plat's still get use of the BA lounge at ORD? In the good old days the BA lounge employees were always great about getting us some kind of upgrade even if only to economy plus. Thanks
Old Jan 25, 08, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
AA Plat = oneworld Sapphire, which gives lounge access with some restrictions.

http://www.aa.com/apps/AAdvantage/Vi...artnersContent
Old Jan 25, 08, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
Good luck with the upgrade bit. Even in my EXP days, BA always treated me as self-loading cargo other than specifically mandated oneWorld partner benefits (such as lounge access). Hope your experiences continue to be better!
Old Jan 25, 08, 2:22 pm

You and your wife can use the BA business class lounge (probably a Terraces - dont get too excited). The kids are out of luck as you are only allowed one guest. You can try to getting the kids in but i wouldnt hold my breath. Upgrade isnt going to happen (unless coach is very oversold and BA has very few of its own elites on the flight)
Old Jan 25, 08, 2:36 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat.
There are both a Terraces and a BA First lounge at ORD. Compared to lounges at LHR, they are nothing special. The terraces is still miles ahead of the AC's.
Old Jan 25, 08, 3:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Efrem View Post
Good luck with the upgrade bit. Even in my EXP days, BA always treated me as self-loading cargo other than specifically mandated oneWorld partner benefits (such as lounge access). Hope your experiences continue to be better!
What more is there to expect?

BA provides the benefits that go with OW Sapphire / Emerald pretty well

Dave
Old Jan 25, 08, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
What more is there to expect?

BA provides the benefits that go with OW Sapphire / Emerald pretty well

Dave
I got exactly what I was promised and have no complaints. However, the quoted post discussed operational upgrades on BA for AA elites. I have never gotten one, nor has a BA agent ever suggested that I'd be in the running for one. They have told me that those go only to BA elites; that OW status counts for nothing in that regard.
Old Jan 25, 08, 8:27 pm

Programs: QF WP - AA GLD 1MM - CX Grn
My expectations are that the airline will get me there in the cabin that I have paid for. My status usually will get me a reasonable seat location. As long as they don't muck around with my preselection I'll be happy.

Upgrades are as much a function of routing and season as the airline. Having said that AA has been very good when using the 500m coupons even at the airport with weather issues. AA were very generous to my son after a scheduling fiasco out of LEX into ORD. BA and CX have occasionally been very generous... But I try to book WT+ on BA. QF never offers anything but ODUs sometimes work if you have the (large number of ) miles in your account.

YMMV as you wander

Fred
Old Jan 25, 08, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
Fred, I am going to sound really stupid is WT+ world traveler +? I assume this is some kind of economy plus? I got all 75% of my lifetime miles with an AA unlimited Airpass I bought in the mid 80's and flew about 400k per year (all first thank God), so I am only familiar with AA jargon. BA had the best rate, around $700 w/taxes for spring break much cheaper than AA, but I am sure these were lowest economy.
Old Jan 26, 08, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by kmandrew View Post
Fred, I am going to sound really stupid is WT+ world traveler +? I assume this is some kind of economy plus? I got all 75% of my lifetime miles with an AA unlimited Airpass I bought in the mid 80's and flew about 400k per year (all first thank God), so I am only familiar with AA jargon. BA had the best rate, around $700 w/taxes for spring break much cheaper than AA, but I am sure these were lowest economy.
Hi Kmandrew,

WT+ is a common abbreviation here on FT for World Traveller + ( other lairlines call it Premium Economy) - you get 38-39 inches of pitch between the seats, in a separate cabin in front of economy , 2-4-2 seating compared to 3-4-3 in economy and slightly more recline.

WT+ on the BA 747 is quite good because you are directly behind First class between doors 1 and 2 so the cabin will be quieter ( less engine noise)

Regards

TBS
Old Jan 26, 08, 5:47 am

Programs: AA PLT/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 1/[email protected] View Post
but i wouldnt hold my breath.
Indeed- BA does not make exceptions to this policy IME even for its own elite members.
Old Jan 26, 08, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot View Post
WT+ on the BA 747 is quite good because you are directly behind First class between doors 1 and 2 so the cabin will be quieter ( less engine noise)
Only on about 50% of the fleet though.
Old Jan 26, 08, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by kmandrew View Post
I don't fly much these days but still a Plat (3 million lifetime), my wife and I are taking some college kids to the UK on BA at spring break. Do Plat's still get use of the BA lounge at ORD? In the good old days the BA lounge employees were always great about getting us some kind of upgrade even if only to economy plus. Thanks
There is zero percent chance that BA will give you an upgrade.
Old Jan 26, 08, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by millionmiler View Post
There is zero percent chance that BA will give you an upgrade.
And yet a 100% chance that they might
Old Jan 26, 08, 11:53 am
Suspended

BA does operational upgrades (which means upgrades required because of overbooking) just like any other airline. They're not crazy, they're not going to leave pax behind while there are empty seats. I have been upgraded on BA in recent years.

BA does not upgrade anyone when not necessary.

Search this Thread