Miles on JAL, JFK-GRU

 
Old Jan 23, 08, 11:39 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Seattle, WA USA/Punta del Este, UY
Programs: AS 75K, AA EXP, Hilton Gold
Posts: 831
Miles on JAL, JFK-GRU

Has anyone had any luck using miles to fly JAL first class from JFK to GRU?
bkkth is offline  
Old Jan 23, 08, 3:22 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 131
Haven't had to use them myself, but it shouldn't be a problem. Just like any other flight from US to deep south america. That said, agents may have trouble finding this as one of the default options, so you'll definitely have to ask.
mysteryman2007 is offline  
Old Jan 23, 08, 3:25 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: NYC/BOS/MSY/AUH
Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Posts: 15,462
Originally Posted by mysteryman2007 View Post
Haven't had to use them myself, but it shouldn't be a problem. Just like any other flight from US to deep south america.
It's actually a good question because it might not at all be "just like any other flight from US to deep south america." As JL is new to oneworld, it'd be nice to hear someone's actual experience in terms of award availability. I've had very good luck scoring Z awards on AA, but that tells us nothing about the ability to score Z awards on JL, particularly on this route.
Blumie is offline  
Old Jan 23, 08, 3:29 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,480
Originally Posted by bkkth View Post
Has anyone had any luck using miles to fly JAL first class from JFK to GRU?
Japan Airlines from US to Brazil? Do they even have such a flight?

edit: dont see it on their route map ... unless you connect through Tokyo ...

Last edited by muddy; Jan 23, 08 at 3:34 pm
muddy is offline  
Old Jan 23, 08, 3:32 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: NYC/BOS/MSY/AUH
Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Posts: 15,462
Originally Posted by muddy View Post
Japan Airlines from US to Brazil? Do they even have such a flight?
3x/week on a 744
Blumie is offline  
Old Jan 23, 08, 3:38 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 886
i was able to get jl to gru conecting with ba to eze, all in f.
nacirema is offline  
Old Jan 23, 08, 3:46 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,480
Originally Posted by nacirema View Post
i was able to get jl to gru conecting with ba to eze, all in f.
thats why I like this site ... always learning something new ...

1) you can fly JAL from JFK-GRU direct
2) BA will actually let you crop out the GRU-EZE piece of LHR-GRU-EZE to glue on to it.

Can I possibly be understanding all this correctly?
I can't even find the JFK-GRU flight on a timetable nor route map on the JAL site.
muddy is offline  
Old Jan 23, 08, 3:49 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: NYC/BOS/MSY/AUH
Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Posts: 15,462
Originally Posted by muddy View Post
I can't even find the JFK-GRU flight on a timetable nor route map on the JAL site.
Search on expertflyer. If you're not a subscriber, subscribe first, then search.
Blumie is offline  
Old Jan 23, 08, 3:54 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,480
Originally Posted by Blumie View Post
Search on expertflyer. If you're not a subscriber, subscribe first, then search.
but ef lists a lot of nonexistent routes/fares ...

This is actually good news for me as I was just in the process of booking out of GRU and would love to have another option to consider ... just cant seem to find this flight. Any help appreciated.
muddy is offline  
Old Jan 23, 08, 3:56 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: NYC/BOS/MSY/AUH
Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Posts: 15,462
Originally Posted by muddy View Post
but ef lists a lot of nonexistent routes/fares ...
What are you talking about?
Blumie is offline  
Old Jan 23, 08, 4:01 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 886
Thursday, February 28, 2008

Departure: 7:30PM New York, USA - John F Kennedy, terminal 1
Arrival: 7:15AM +1 day(s) Sao Paulo, Brazil - Guarulhos International, terminal 1
Flight: Japan Airlines JL048 e
Aircraft: Boeing 747-400


www.jal.com


07:00 29 Feb


10:45 29 Feb


Sao Paulo (Guarulhos)


Buenos Aires (Pistarini)


BA0247British Airways


www.ba.com
nacirema is offline  
Old Jan 23, 08, 4:01 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: South Bend, IN
Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Posts: 17,550
I was able to get an F award for my fiance of JAL and Lan routing JFK-GRU-EZE (there is a Lan Argentina flight that flies b/w GRU and EZE in the afternoon, which is operated by the 763 -- two class only though).

If looking to connect to BA's GRU-EZE flight, realize that it too does not operate every day and that the flight times don't jive, requiring an overnight in GRU (which, for Americans, requires getting a visa in advance). For my $, the Lan option is better, even if it is a longer layover.
PresRDC is offline  
Old Jan 23, 08, 4:02 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, spg gold, hhdiamond
Posts: 1,594
Originally Posted by muddy View Post
but ef lists a lot of nonexistent routes/fares ...

This is actually good news for me as I was just in the process of booking out of GRU and would love to have another option to consider ... just cant seem to find this flight. Any help appreciated.
search jal
http://www.ar.jal.com/en/
it is there.... 747 flights jal flight 048 jfk -gru jal 047 gru-jfk
nytango is offline  
Old Jan 23, 08, 4:04 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,480
Originally Posted by Blumie View Post
What are you talking about?
as an example, you can (or at least could) find fares for British Airways from VVI-LHR but you can't buy/fly it. I ran into some others, but cant remember the specifics. I was only a member for a month ... maybe its different now or maybe I was screwing up the query (kinda doubt it tho).
muddy is offline  
Old Jan 23, 08, 4:08 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 886
Originally Posted by muddy View Post
as an example, you can (or at least could) find fares for British Airways from VVI-LHR but you can't buy/fly it. I ran into some others, but cant remember the specifics. I was only a member for a month ... maybe its different now or maybe I was screwing up the query (kinda doubt it tho).
both flights are bookable but as presrdc said, it does require overnight in gru which was ok with me as i stayed in gru for 3 or 4 days anyways.
nacirema is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread