Search

Is there a glut of feta and Gorgonzola?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2008, 9:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Is there a glut of feta and Gorgonzola?

A little rant. Is it my imagination or does every meal contain feta or Gorgonzola cheese? Virtually every salad is a greek salad with, of course feta and olives. Every pizza has feta cheese (please, a "traditional Chicago style pizza" does not contain feta). Every pasta has Gorgonzola cheese or, if it's not in the pasta, it's in the sauce. Every meat has a Gorgonzola sauce or, if it's not in the sauce, it's in the potatoes. Three out of four entree choices are like this. If it's not clear by now, I don't like feta or Gorgonzola. However, even if I did, I'd be sick of them.

I used to actually look forward to the food in business class. However, the choices in recent months are horrendous. They are much too ambitious for airline food - if you can't make it taste good, try simple. Who ever heard of eggplant and turkey sandwich on olive ciabatta? Garlic marinated roasted chicken breast, asparagus and avocado, all wrapped in undercooked bacon, served with roasted corn rice? The only pseudo sophisticated ingredient missing from yesterday's dinner choices from London was pine nuts.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 9:45 pm

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
If it's any consolation, the cheese is probably not real cheese ... rant on ...

cheers!
Old Jan 22, 2008, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
A little rant. Is it my imagination or does every meal contain feta or Gorgonzola cheese? Virtually every salad is a greek salad with, of course feta and olives. Every pizza has feta cheese (please, a "traditional Chicago style pizza" does not contain feta). Every pasta has Gorgonzola cheese or, if it's not in the pasta, it's in the sauce. Every meat has a Gorgonzola sauce or, if it's not in the sauce, it's in the potatoes. Three out of four entree choices are like this. If it's not clear by now, I don't like feta or Gorgonzola. However, even if I did, I'd be sick of them.

I used to actually look forward to the food in business class. However, the choices in recent months are horrendous. They are much too ambitious for airline food - if you can't make it taste good, try simple. Who ever heard of eggplant and turkey sandwich on olive ciabatta? Garlic marinated roasted chicken breast, asparagus and avocado, all wrapped in undercooked bacon, served with roasted corn rice? The only pseudo sophisticated ingredient missing from yesterday's dinner choices from London was pine nuts.
wow. All I can say is I was actually glad our head chef actually read one of my letters and put all my favorite ingredients in our food. Now that you mention it, the only thing that was missing was the pine nuts. Sorry you're finding it all.....gross. I am with you on that bacon wrapped chicken. If you don't cook it with the foil/lid off the top the bacon never cooks and it is like a giant greasy rubber band.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AAFA
wow. All I can say is I was actually glad our head chef actually read one of my letters and put all my favorite ingredients in our food.
But why do they ALL have to go in every dish? I was going to bring one of the menus home so I could remember all of the ridiculous combinations of ingredients, but forgot to pick it up.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 11:31 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Wasn't that a Japanese horror movie some years back "Gorgonzola meets Feta" replete with much bad lip syncing.

Cheers.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 12:55 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
This thread. Really? Seriously?
Old Jan 23, 2008, 1:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Howgart
This thread. Really? Seriously?
Yes, don't you know by now that everything in this forum is profoundly serious?
Old Jan 23, 2008, 2:24 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Yes, don't you know by now that everything in this forum is profoundly serious?
If it is that serious then I really ought not to be posting here as I suspect that my lipstick is the wrong shade for doing "serious". Still you will have to imagine the colour when I ask whether there is any evidence that the Feta came from Greece or the Gorgonzola from Italy. I note that one of the posters intimated that neither had actually come from a Sheep in the first instance or a Cow in the other.

When I had the Pasta with Gorgonzola on a HNL-LAX not so long ago the one thing that it did not taste of was cheese. Both are expensive and are probably used most sparingly. I actually had to use the salt and pepper to try and flavour the bland glutinous mess that was put in front of me.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 4:35 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
And regardless of its original source, cow/sheep/other, feta and gorgonzola sem like the LAST types of cheese you would want to serve to airline passengers, since few cheese types are more likely to fuel windy passengers.

Not only does it taste bad, but providing an ingestible source of pressurized methane seems like a poor strategy for in-flight comfort.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 7:31 am

I HATE Cheese on Salad

Originally Posted by Wilbur
And regardless of its original source, cow/sheep/other, feta and gorgonzola sem like the LAST types of cheese you would want to serve to airline passengers, since few cheese types are more likely to fuel windy passengers.
Am I the only one who HATES that feta cheese on my salad. Yuck, it smells like old gym socks. Just give me a nice lettuce salad with dressing on the side. I don't like the lettuce drowned in dressing OR cheese.

P.S. - I just flew Cathay to & from Asia, and they put MUSHROOMS on everything; both main courses coming back and 2/3 going over. DOUBLE YUCK!!!
Old Jan 23, 2008, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
They are much too ambitious for airline food - if you can't make it taste good, try simple. Who ever heard of eggplant and turkey sandwich on olive ciabatta? Garlic marinated roasted chicken breast, asparagus and avocado, all wrapped in undercooked bacon, served with roasted corn rice? The only pseudo sophisticated ingredient missing from yesterday's dinner choices from London was pine nuts.
We flew home from LHR in J on Tuesday w/the same menu and our entire family had almost the same discussion. What's wrong with a simple grilled chicken breast, why did the salmon have to be "parsley cheese encrusted"? By chance did your flight get the bizarre pink whip cream pudding dessert w/the sandwich? The FAs didn't even know what it was.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 7:56 am

Not only does it taste bad, but providing an ingestible source of pressurized methane seems like a poor strategy for in-flight comfort.
Now, I think you are on to their REAL plan. Torture the FAs.

If you don't think they know what they are doing, think again.

My friend and I used to fly the SFO-JFK DC-10 all nighter where we served the coach passengers chicken, bean and cheese burritos right before sending them off to bed. Ok? We used to take turns hiding downstairs in the LL galley.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 8:05 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT

I wonder something very similar everytime I have asparagus on an airplane.

I'd also like to see more beans, cabbage, and crab cakes in the air.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
The strategy clearly is to add ingredients to the recipe and adjectives to the description to make it sound fancy. But it's airline food. Period. It always has been. It always will be. Why anyone would want any more than the most basic sustenance when flying to MSY, or SFO, or FCO, or CDG is beyond me. The way I look at it, the airlines are doing us a favor: they're serving us swill so we won't eat too much and spoil our appetites for the real food that awaits us at our destination.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
If it is that serious then I really ought not to be posting here as I suspect that my lipstick is the wrong shade for doing "serious". Still you will have to imagine the colour when I ask whether there is any evidence that the Feta came from Greece or the Gorgonzola from Italy. I note that one of the posters intimated that neither had actually come from a Sheep in the first instance or a Cow in the other.

When I had the Pasta with Gorgonzola on a HNL-LAX not so long ago the one thing that it did not taste of was cheese. Both are expensive and are probably used most sparingly. I actually had to use the salt and pepper to try and flavour the bland glutinous mess that was put in front of me.
Well, I did want to avoid saying this, but all these "cheeses," whether cheese or not, do manage to retain the distinct flavor of baby vomit (there is a word for that "flavor" but I no longer recall it) that these particular cheeses are known for. If yours needed salt and pepper to give it any flavor at all, perhaps you were lucky.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.