Change award seat routing question

Old Jan 21, 08, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Change award seat routing question

Back in october I booked 1st class award seats for my wife, son and I to lhr. I had to book my son and wife on a different flight because of award availability.
They are booked dca/ord/lhr rt. I had to book myself ord/lhr/jfk. My ord flight was different from theirs. A seat on their flight opened by EF notification and I got myself booked in 1st on their outbound flight. The other day I got an e-mail from ef that the return flight my family was on had one seat available. I called aa plt to change and was told I could not do this. The reason given was that this was a ow award versus an all partner award(we are going on from lhr to bud & prg). I was never told this when I booked the awards. How do you know this if you are not told? I do know there are different rules but where do you find them?
Thanks!

Last edited by jmj9905; Jan 21, 08 at 7:21 pm Reason: delete seat from title
Old Jan 21, 08, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
http://www.aa.com/apps/AAdvantage/Vi...ersContent#OWA

The links at the top of the referral page to further All-Partner and OneWorld rules may be helpful. It's pretty typical that not all the rules of award travel are provided.
Old Jan 21, 08, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by jmj9905 View Post
Back in october I booked 1st class award seats for my wife, son and I to lhr. I had to book my son and wife on a different flight because of award availability.
They are booked dca/ord/lhr rt. I had to book myself ord/lhr/jfk. My ord flight was different from theirs. A seat on their flight opened by EF notification and I got myself booked in 1st on their outbound flight. The other day I got an e-mail from ef that the return flight my family was on had one seat available. I called aa plt to change and was told I could not do this. The reason given was that this was a ow award versus an all partner award(we are going on from lhr to bud & prg). I was never told this when I booked the awards. How do you know this if you are not told? I do know there are different rules but where do you find them?
Thanks!
Were you told something else when you originally booked, or not told one way or the other whether this would be permitted?
Old Jan 21, 08, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

I was not told anything about the type of award. I assumed(and you know what that means!) that it was an AA award and could be changed.

Search this Thread