Special Meal recommendation

Old Jan 21, 08, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Question Special Meal recommendation

Any recommendation as to what special meal, if any, is better than the regular COACH meal to South America (763). I can see suggested menus on AA.com even for the coach meals.
Old Jan 21, 08, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
The special meal you prepare at home or pick up on the way to the airport is almost always better than the coach meal on board.
Old Jan 21, 08, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3.6...MM-gonna take LONGER to hit 4MM for those VIPs soon!
Special meals are very limited in choices these days: diabetic, gluten-free, non-dairy veg, kosher, and moslem. Once upon a time there were other selections like seafood platter, fruit plate, the "Great American" hamburger, and many others but all those, as well as many dietary variations (lacto-ovo veg, low carb) have been scrapped as special meals cost more than regular mass prepared fare. The Y meals still offered on, essentially, long haul are ok and the entree quality is better than I experienced several years ago. The entrees now seem like they come from a frozen food company and the heat proof plastic disposible dish is sealed with a heavy sheet of clear plastic much like Stouffer's entrees.

I doubt you would get anything significantly better than the normal meal by opting for any of the current special meals.

Years ago there were significant numbers of kosher meals ordered after it was reported that those meals cost quite a bit more than the normal main cabin fare. It was not reported the higher cost was do to all the added special handling of the meal and higher cost of kosher meat and other components and not due to the meal representing a higher grade of "cuisine".

It is always a good idea to pack some easy to tote snack items incase you don't care for the meal service or if the small portions are not sufficient to sustain you on a long flight.

I personally find my time aboard AA the perfect time to fast especially if headed for a destination where I will likely indulge. Of course fluids are still necessary and nothing wrong with a glass of wine or a G&T during a cleansing fast. ;-)

Incidently, I have ordered the veg meal in Y and have received a vegetable "stew" including left over part of veggies used for the premium cabins like the stems of asparagus accompanied by a larger portion of white rice. I'd rather take the regular fare pasta offering than consume the bland wad of white rice gut fill.
Old Jan 22, 08, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
In my own experience, I've found that ordering a special meal doesn't mean that you will get it. I am allergic to shellfish and make every effort to avoid it. More often than not my special meal is not loaded on the airplane.

It makes no difference which airline.

I've found it better to bring along my own snacks and eat what I can trust off the regular meals.

The only airline never to disappoint me is Singapore.
Old Jan 22, 08, 10:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pgppetch View Post
Special meals are very limited in choices these days: diabetic, gluten-free, non-dairy veg, kosher, and moslem.
The above should not be taken to mean that these are all different special meals. The same special meal will cover various dietary restrictions.

The entrees now seem like they come from a frozen food company and the heat proof[ plastic disposible dish is sealed with a heavy sheet of clear plastic much like Stouffer's entrees.
That's still better than the Indian meal I got on AA to DEL in coach, which was a "shelf-stable" meal. In other words, it was from a package that did not require refrigeration, essentially canned food in a plastic 'can'. I can assure you that frozen food tastes better.

Search this Thread