Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which AA flight is a must upgrade to you?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2008, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 0.8MM, Skyward, SPG Gold
Which AA flight is a must upgrade to you?

This is my first post here even though I've been reading FT for a few months now. It seems to me that most people around here are always flying J or F internationally and have a lot of experience upgrading.So, in your opinion, what AA flight you must upgrade?
Old Jan 21, 2008, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Each and every one of them.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Which AA flight is a must upgrade?

This is my first post here even though I've been reading FT for a few months now. It seems to me that most people around here are always flying J or F internationally and have a lot of experience upgrading.So, in your opinion, what AA flight you must upgrade?

Most of my flying is done internationally and believe it or not I've never flown J or F in my life. I've been Plat. for the last 2 years but I never fly enough to make ExP. In my limited flying experience, (I mostly fly to South America and Europe) I have to say that it's getting harder and harder to fly DFW-GRU in coach. That has to be one of the worst flights on AA.

I recently did DXB-GRU (15hr) on EK in coach and I would take that any day over DFW-GRU. I guess I'll have to start upgrading.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 11:05 am

For me anything over 8 hours is a "must upgrade" flight. My back can't handle a coach seat any longer than that.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by IST_flyer
for me, anything international over 6 hours and NOT on a 757 is a "must try" to use a EVIP.

For the most part, I would never consider wasting money, miles, nor EVIPs on a 757.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Sorry, I didn't mean to double post... my mistake! Can anyone erase this post? Newbie mistake.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FlyerTalk, IST_flyer!

It's a personal answer, because it's those fligths on which the class (presumably economy in most cases) you can afford to buy outright bothers you most and/or you'l get the most benefits from the next class up.

For example, if you're tall, it might include at least those flights on which you cannot prereserve an exit row seat. If you're short, that might not be your first consideration. If you're not skinny, it might include those aircraft which have narrow economy seats. If you're skinny, that might not be your first consideration. If you have trouble sleeping upright or near-upright, and thus in economy, it might include the flights you're going to sleep on. If you have no trouble sleeping anywhere, that might not be your first consideration. If you value the better service up or entertainment features up front, it might include the flights you're going to be awake on. If those aren't big enough factors for you, that might not be your first consideration.

I'm taller and skinnier and not as good at sleeping upright, so I value upgrades on overnight flights the most, and upgrades on the very longest flights in close second place. But YMMV.

I find the exit row seats on the 757 to be less comfortable than most other AA planes, so even though I don't love the front-of-the-plane 757 seats, I still might try harder for upgrades on those planes than others, depending on the length of the flight.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 11:19 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Welcome to FlyerTalk, IST_flyer!

It's a personal answer, because it's those fligths on which the class (presumably economy in most cases) you can afford to buy outright bothers you most and/or you'l get the most benefits from the next class up.

For example, if you're tall, it might include at least those flights on which you cannot prereserve an exit row seat. If you're short, that might not be your first consideration. If you're not skinny, it might include those aircraft which have narrow economy seats. If you're skinny, that might not be your first consideration. If you have trouble sleeping upright or near-upright, and thus in economy, it might include the flights you're going to sleep on. If you have no trouble sleeping anywhere, that might not be your first consideration. If you value the better service up or entertainment features up front, it might include the flights you're going to be awake on. If those aren't big enough factors for you, that might not be your first consideration.

I'm taller and skinnier and not as good at sleeping upright, so I value upgrades on overnight flights the most, and upgrades on the very longest flights in close second place. But YMMV.

I find the exit row seats on the 757 to be less comfortable than most other AA planes, so even though I don't love the front-of-the-plane 757 seats, I still might try harder for upgrades on those planes than others, depending on the length of the flight.

This may sound odd, but if I have a long day and the return flights is more than 1.5 hours, I try and upgrade. It is nice to be fed and get settled before eveyone else after running hard all day.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, PC PLT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by IST_flyer
I only like to upgrade the flights I'm actually on.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by muddy
...For the most part, I would never consider wasting money, miles, nor EVIPs on a 757.
... just to clarify, I think ANYTHING is probably worth a sticker upgrade on ... even a 757.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 11:36 am
In memoriam

Any overnight flight, any flight over 3 hours, any flight that exit rows aren't available. Two to three hour flights (if exit row is available) are normally tolerable, especially given the quality of the domestic F experience. Of course if sticker upgrade is available, I'd try for it, even on an hour flight.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 11:38 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum/2022 Titanium
Always try to upgrade in two situations...

1.) No exit row ailse available

2.) Going home
Old Jan 21, 2008, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, CO PLT
I like to upgrade on day/afternoon flights back from Europe; it's much much easier to sleep in J and I'm usually very tired at the time. Generally, my rule is if you'll have trouble sleeping that 3-4 glasses of wine won't take care of b/c of jet lag or whatever, the upgrade's worth it.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP+2MM & WN CP
Any flight where my wife is flying with me!
^
Old Jan 21, 2008, 12:22 pm

For me it is the international upgrade on the 763 from coach to business... which IMHO is more like FIRST than business compared to the 777 on AA..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.