Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX connection question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2008, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
LAX connection question

My fiancee and I are going to KOA for our honeymoon from ORD and connecting in LAX on a Sunday afternoon. As you are aware, there is one flight to Kona a day on AA out of LAX, so that if we miss this we will be stranded for a day.

This being said, how long would you allow for a connection?

Thank you
Old Jan 20, 2008, 12:33 pm

its really easy to make a cnx at lax on AA. its just one terminal.

however, if youre coming from ord, you might want to add extra padding on your cnx time since ord flights are always late.

my suggestion is take the flight before whatever AA.com selects as your in-bound flight ord-lax.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 2:57 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
mktozd, congratulations!

We were in exactly your situation back in Aug, flying JFK-LAX-SYD. I would review the FlightStats.com and FlightAware.com data on your flights of interest, then give yourself plenty of padding. (We cut it pretty close at 1:20 to secure C upgrades on the transcon, but I also knew that there was a lot of padding built into the transcon flight schedule and also that the transpac leg never left on time either, which ended up being the case on our flight. When we got delayed out of JFK, I didn't sweat it much, knowing exactly how much padding I'd built in.) It depends on the time of year, of course, wrt weather at ORD, but I'd probably be most comfortable with at least a 2 hr layover. You can always hang out at the AC if you are a member or buy daypasses that'll be good at ORD, too.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 9:37 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by mktozd
As you are aware, there is one flight to Kona a day on AA out of LAX, so that if we miss this we will be stranded for a day.
You will not be stranded until the next dsay. If you miss the non-stop flight to KOA, ask AA to put you on the next flight to HNL then an inter-island flight to KOA.

Congrats / best wishes on nuptials and happy travels to / from ABC-land!
Old Jan 24, 2008, 9:37 pm

The AA terminal is not that big, but delays can happen, both due to weather at ORD and en route as well as due to ground traffic and taxiing distance at LAX. To be safe allow at least an hour, and probably no more than 1.5 is necessary. Yes, you could be put on the late flight to HNL, but I always like to have at least two back up options

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.