Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Body Brought off of AA flight @ DFW last night - Is this normal Policy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2008, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott

While waiting for my delayed DFW/SNA flight at Gate D16, at about 9pm last night 1/19, paramedics went into D15 & came out with a covered body on a gurney in front of the whole terminal (not that it was that busy, but...). Later, rest of pax got off & seemed oblivious to what had happened. Then, the defib machine, etc came off, which obviously had not helped. Does anyone know what happened and is this normal policy? Seems rather disrespectful to the corpse & upsetting to the rest of us sitting there watching...

I admit I'm rather squeamish at the moment, having had a parent just pass away with me there & on my way back from a week of taking care of another 91 year old parent who fell & is in a very old folks rehab home... but everyone else waiting at the gate seemed shocked by it too.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 10:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz 5*, Marriott PLT
Originally Posted by brendamc
While waiting for my delayed DFW/SNA flight at Gate D16, at about 9pm last night 1/19, paramedics went into D15 & came out with a covered body on a gurney in front of the whole terminal (not that it was that busy, but...). Later, rest of pax got off & seemed oblivious to what had happened. Then, the defib machine, etc came off, which obviously had not helped. Does anyone know what happened and is this normal policy? Seems rather disrespectful to the corpse & upsetting to the rest of us sitting there watching...

I admit I'm rather squeamish at the moment, having had a parent just pass away with me there & on my way back from a week of taking care of another 91 year old parent who fell & is in a very old folks rehab home... but everyone else waiting at the gate seemed shocked by it too.
There aren't many other options. Ask to use a catering truck's lift? Roll over some emergency stairs? Use an emergency exit?

Also, keep in mind its not AA's policy that matters on what emergency workers do in an emergency situation.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 10:13 am

Programs: AC, AA, DL, UA
What would you have wanted them to do instead? Push the dead body out of the other side of the plane with the catering refuse? Leave it on the plane until EXPs and PLTs get off?
Old Jan 20, 2008, 11:06 am

Sorry to hear about the recent loss of your parent.

This is one of those situations where there isnt an ideal solution. Not familiar with the jetbridge there, but at our airport the gurneys dont fit through the door that leads to the stairs to the ramp.

I am guessing that the passenger passed away on the jetbridge instead of on the plane ? Sometimes I have seen paramedics move people off of the plane so they have more room, sometimes they treat them where they are sitting.

It is hards to preserve someones dignity when they are receiving medical treatment in a public place , people are either gawking or making "funnies". These are often the same people who are complaining that thier outbound flight being delayed when we make announcements about holding off boarding while paramedics provide medical assistance to a passenger.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.